Author Topic: SR1 driving 2.6Kva alternator - help needed  (Read 8248 times)

vanair

• View Profile
SR1 driving 2.6Kva alternator - help needed
« on: September 13, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
Hi

I from South Africa and new to this forum.
I love Listers  :-[ and own a number of old Lister engines (including a 6/1) and are in the process of restoring them.

The first project is the SR1 and is at the point of assembling it after a total rebuild. It needs to power an alternator supplying power on the farm.
I have the opportunity to get a 2.6 kva alternator but it needs to run at 3000 rpm.

Will it be possible to run a smaller pulley on the alternator so that t he SR1 can run on 2500 and the alternator at 3000?

Thanks.

Regards

Pieter

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: SR1 driving 2.6Kva alternator - help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
Howzit VA,

Welcome to the forum....

No problem regarding the pulley change size, just watch the diameters/ratio and you should be fine. Try and keep the alt/engine spacing as much as possible to get a decent lap on the alternator pulley to prevent it slipping. Contact your local belting supply guys and they will give you how many belts of what sectional size to transfer the power you need.... Remember, bigger pulleys on both sides mean lower belt tensions, meaning less belt wear.... Particularly handy if you are in the sticks away from the "dorp" and need to travel to get spares!

Cheerz
Ed

12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
We do not recommend running the SR1 at that speed. You would do much better spinning the SR at 1500rpm and choose your pulleys accordingly to get 50Hz at the alternator (2:1). The SR will still have ample surplus power well beyond 4kW at that speed, and it will deliver a much nicer fuel economy and longevity if run at a moderate speed as opposed to being pushed to its limits. This is one of the strengths of the little Lister singles... good torque and performance within a very conservative power band.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

vanair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »
Thanks for the info.  :)

That sounds great will see if I can get the correct pulleys.
I see some flat belt pulleys on some generators. This should be better that the old V-Pulleys?

Regards

Pieter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 09:23:58 AM »
vee-belts work just fine! You have surplus power in that setup anyway, so a little extra friction loss is not much of a factor. Gates makes a product called Super HC that is very good for this kind of small horsepower transmission. Pulleys are in common use and readily available in all sizes.

The micro-v type of 'serpentine' or 'flat' belt is good for using smaller pulleys and for bending both directions and for using idler tensioners. You can get the serpentine belting in common automotive K type and slightly heavier L type. You can also select varying widths of belting (number of grooves) to suit the power levels and pulley sizes you are dealing with.

dieselgman

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
Stick with V's.... Much easier to source locally...

Another trick is to put a double V belt drive on it, where each belt is capable of carrying the nominal max load individually... Allows for plenty of redundancy should you lose a belt mid weekend out in the sticks... You can operate fine on a single for a few days, also, the belts will last an eternity with little or no adjustment needed....

Cheerz
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

vanair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »
Will phone around for supplier.

Thanks for the assistance

Pieter

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »
Whilst I am not overly enthusiastic for engine / alternator belt driven setups (direct drive is a much neater arrangement and places no additional load on the engine main bearings) I can see that this is the only realistic option for your particular circumstances.
Therefore to minimize the load the belt pulley arrangement will place on the flywheel end main bearing of your SR1 engine, its essential that the pulley is positioned as close as possible to the engine, and also do not over tension the belts.

To be able to further reduce belt tension when compared to Vee belts, it might be worth investigating what options are available for toothed belt / pulley combinations.

vanair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »
Listard-jp2, i have looked at the other options but have settled on 160mm and 80mm twin  v-pulleys. This was the easiest way to get the job done.

I picked it up today and will try and complete the project by the end of the week.

vanair

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »
The engine is almost ready to start but Lister used a 2 1/4" nut to secure the flywheel on the crankshaft.  >:( >:(

I need to first get a socket (which I doubt) or make a tool ..... !

Then I need to get the torque setting for it as well. The only reference I could find was 200 Ft Lbs or 300ftlbs  (different listers)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
Without looking up the spec... I think 200 ft. lbs. will do fine for that one. That should be a bolt with a shaft diameter of only about 3/4"... maybe slightly less than that despite the very large head size.

dieselgman

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »
FWD axle nuts use large sockets, and they may be less expensive then truck lug nut sockets

vanair

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 06:37:39 AM »
I made up a tool with scrap steel plate, square bar and a 32mm nut.
Worked like a charm!  ;)

Last things to sort out is the pump before attempting a start.

Mocha man

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 12:02:41 AM »
Hi how did this set up work out would love to see a picture or 2 as i am thinking of doing the same. Any advice would be great