Puppeteer

Author Topic: STARTER/CHARGER PARTS  (Read 6514 times)

overbore

• View Profile
STARTER/CHARGER PARTS
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:18:08 PM »
Since the local Hotlanta temperatures have been over 90F for 33 days or so and for us seniors too much of a good thing is toooooo much  :-[,I  have postponed building the covering shed until it is safe to install lag screws and pound nails and focused on the parts to install a good strarting/charging system as follows :
1, STARTER GENERATOR CLUB CAR EZ-GO GOLF CART 250cc-400cc 1012316 101833701 from Rare Electical
Item # 120952288195
2. With pulley removed, actual shaft dia is 0.685” /17.399mm with key extra height.
3. Bored out 5/8ths diameter  shaft hole to 17mm and the
4. Steel pulley fits including the keyway: Oregon Steel. Lock washer can not be used;Purple thread locker.
5.Yamaha Golf Cart Voltage Regulator OE # J10-81910-10
6.12V 150A CONTINUOUS DUTY SOLENOID RELAY FOR GOLF CARTS 300A IN RUSH 1114208
7.OLS 12V DC 25 Amp On/Off Rocker Switch IP65 Waterproof 3P SPST Red LED Indic. My thinking is that the control current for the solenoid is low enough to allow the use of a low amperage control switch
8 3" channel iron to be cut the width of the I beam mounts
9. Since no suspenders will hold anything up, I neglected to mention a V belt to fit ;D
and 9, and alternator tension adjusting bracket. junk yard.
If anyone has additional ideas, please add and comment.
Cordially,, overbore

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:55:58 AM by overbore »

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: STARTER/CHARGER PARTS
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 01:39:20 AM »
Finally got around to posting some photos of my starter/generator installation. Nothing fancy, just used things I had on hand and scrounged.
The starter/generator, solenoid and voltage regulator are similar to those mentioned by Overbore in his above post. I've had these in my shop since early spring, but put it all together last month.
Wiring was done according to the schematic provided by Veggie. Thanks Veggie!
The start switch is an extra from my vintage Royal Enfield.

The third photo is the friction starter that I had been using up to now. It provided good service at less cost, but did not work so well when there was moisture or ice on the flywheel.

The S/G unit is also easier for my wife to deal with, as starting is simply "switch on, rotation, fuel on, compression release off.

Let's see if I am using the Insert Image feature correctly.

Cheers,
Hugh

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:48:40 AM by Hugh Conway »
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:38:51 AM »
Nice setup, Hugh!

That looks like a MeccAlte 3600 rpm head.  What is your experience with it ?  Would you recommend them over an ST head?  Any trouble with belt slippage on the small pulley? 

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:26:04 AM »
@BruceM
Thanks for the compliment. As I have mentioned previously, my machine shop consists of an assortment of hammers and files, so though things are not so beautiful as some, we can sometimes lash them up enough to give adequate service.
The gen head is actually an Utterpower PMG. Using another one on my Dursley 6/1. Great piece of kit, fortunate to have them. Too bad they are not available any more.
The gen head pulley  made by Almand was supplied by George B. with the PMG.
That small pulley on the starter/generator was scrounged from a junk pile alternator, said to be from a Dodge Caravan. It is about 2" OD.
No slippage yet, though we will see if that holds when the weather gets cold and foggy.
That crank you can see behind the PMG is for generator belt tensioning. No idea what its original purpose was, found it in the dirt under a building.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »
Hi

I can see two starting systems ..very versatile arrangement you have !

Mike
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:27:08 AM »
Thanks Hugh, I forgot you had that sweet PMG that George engineered. You never have to worry about harmonic windings, brushes, or AVRs failing.  After the EMP  you should be in good shape, also.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:27:07 AM »

@ BruceM.....That is correct, all that needs be done is to maintain the required steady RPM to produce a nice 60Hz power. I am electronically challenged, so all of that harmonic winding, AVR stuff is over my head anyway. The Everbilt governor spring from Home Depot,  recommended by Horsepoor (see WOK) does the job in keeping the speed within 1Hz as long as the load does not exceed about 4KW......since it is a 3KW head and I charge my batteries using about 2.8 KW, there is never a problem in that area. I have had RPM issues with the drive belt slipping from the winter fog, and once or twice because I forgot to turn the fuel valve on. Otherwise, no generator issues.
I wonder how many of those PMGs are out there in use. I have two, but do not know of anyone else using them. Would be interesting to know, as I am quite sure that George sold quite a few before they became unavailable. I understand there were even a few 6KW versions made.
Again a really nice bit of gear, especially out here at the edge where alternatives can be days or weeks away.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
Is it possible to use a old automobile 12V generator as a starter generator? Modify something ?

I have a WW2 vintage 12V 300 Watt DC battery charging generator ( A chorehorse designed by Johnson of Canada in the 30's) ) , if the wet cell battery is charged enough, you press a button and the generator acts as a starter and turns the generator single cyl. engine over . It is an old idea it seems , nothing is new !
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
Hugh

I like the description of your workshop and especially the lack of a grasp of electronics, I'm a long way down the same road, it's amazing what can donr with an angle grinder......

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
Is it possible to use a old automobile 12V generator as a starter generator? Modify something ?

I have a WW2 vintage 12V 300 Watt DC battery charging generator ( A chorehorse designed by Johnson of Canada in the 30's) ) , if the wet cell battery is charged enough, you press a button and the generator acts as a starter and turns the generator single cyl. engine over . It is an old idea it seems , nothing is new !

Not enough power . Largest highest current Delco I have seen is a 30 or 35 amp 6volt unit on some two cylinder JD diesels . On 12 V a generator used as a motor at 35 amp would produce about 280 watts or just over 1/3 shaft HP.
   I suppose it could work on a small motor if a decompressor was used ?
   Not sure what mad rated shaft rpm would be on the Delco, much lower than the dedicated starter-generator for certain.