Author Topic: Lister CS 12/2 on ebay UK....  (Read 7134 times)

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Lister CS 12/2 on ebay UK....
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »
This has recently made an appearance on ebay UK, and it will be interesting to see if it sells.

Looks to be in reasonable condition, even has an original leak off can.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-TWIN-CS-DIESEL-ENGINE/162155520477

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 12/2 on ebay UK....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »
Drooling here  :-[
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »
Wow  ;D  Even with the conversion rate I would pay more than twice that, to get my hands on that piece of Gold  8)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
Not so many of these around in unmolested condition anymore... shipping and handling within/from the UK tends to be a minefield though.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »
Even with the conversion rate I would pay more than twice that, to get my hands on that piece of Gold

I would have thought with the post BREXIT currency correction, IRO 15% drop in the GBP / US$. Something like this would now be even harder to resist.

Not so many of these around in unmolested condition anymore...

Quite correct, because from information I now have concerning the total Lister CS production numbers, you will see below how twin cylinder production levels compared to the total number of engines produced:

Out of a total Lister CS engines produced circa 413,000

The following figures breaks it down further, into the twin cylinder variants:

Percentage of total twin cylinder engines           15.27%   i.e. 1 in every 6 engines      
Percentage of 10/2 Engines                            0.513%   i.e 1 in every 200 engines      
Percentage of 12/2 Engines                            9.39%   i.e. 1 in every 11 engines      
percentage of 16/2 Engines                            4.97%   i.e. 1 in every 20 engines.      

Clearly the 10/2 is the rarest of them all, and not surprisingly for the same reason the 3/1 is the rarest single cylinder engine, with fewer than 250 produced.   

Furthermore considering that the majority of the twin cylinder engines were exported, you can now begin to see why they attract a price premium over the single cylinder engines in the UK      

shipping and handling within/from the UK tends to be a minefield though.

But it is still possible, as you and other forum members have demonstrated. Forgive my lack of understanding, but once the process is understood, you merely have to repeat that with minimal variation the next time, or am I missing something?

I understand there can be curve balls introduced by US customs :police:, if your container is selected by them for special treatment :'(, but again once that process is understood, its just another step in the sequence of events to be aware of.

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »
Here is a CS twin ..........I think

http://www.tuckerboxauctions.com.au/about/

Coming for auction soon ........... too far away though
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »

I would have thought with the post BREXIT currency correction, IRO 15% drop in the GBP / US$. Something like this would now be even harder to resist.

It is hard to resist, but being the conservative type and as you have correctly summarized it is hard to make sense out of importing one engine. They are available here if one sits and wait and knows how to look.  A very similar 10/2 that was located in the states just traded hands to a Forum member here for considerably less money then he would have in that one imported singular.  I (foolishly) turned down a 12/2 last year for similar money that was in turn key condition because I had just signed the papers on the new home and shop.

Back to importing, one needs to fill a container and have the funds to do it on his own.  The last coop effort a was a pure disaster  that was only saved because of Gary's intervention and personal investment.  I have zero interest in involvement with similar.   When my funds build back up AND with a trusted partner over there I can see a container as a possability in the future, just not right now.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »
Great information there I actually didn't realize that the 10/2 was the most rare of the bunch, makes my recent purchase a tad more justified. I will be posting detailed pictures once it's in my possession.   

Even with the conversion rate I would pay more than twice that, to get my hands on that piece of Gold

Not so many of these around in unmolested condition anymore...

Quite correct, because from information I now have concerning the total Lister CS production numbers, you will see below how twin cylinder production levels compared to the total number of engines produced:

Out of a total Lister CS engines produced circa 413,000

The following figures breaks it down further, into the twin cylinder variants:

Percentage of total twin cylinder engines           15.27%   i.e. 1 in every 6 engines      
Percentage of 10/2 Engines                            0.513%   i.e 1 in every 200 engines      
Percentage of 12/2 Engines                            9.39%   i.e. 1 in every 11 engines      
percentage of 16/2 Engines                            4.97%   i.e. 1 in every 20 engines.      

Clearly the 10/2 is the rarest of them all, and not surprisingly for the same reason the 3/1 is the rarest single cylinder engine, with fewer than 250 produced.   

Furthermore considering that the majority of the twin cylinder engines were exported, you can now begin to see why they attract a price premium over the single cylinder engines in the UK      

shipping and handling within/from the UK tends to be a minefield though.

But it is still possible, as you and other forum members have demonstrated. Forgive my lack of understanding, but once the process is understood, you merely have to repeat that with minimal variation the next time, or am I missing something?

I understand there can be curve balls introduced by US customs :police:, if your container is selected by them for special treatment :'(, but again once that process is understood, its just another step in the sequence of events to be aware of.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:00:39 AM »
I actually didn't realize that the 10/2 was the most rare of the bunch, makes my recent purchase a tad more justified. I will be posting detailed pictures once it's in my possession.   

As you have already purchased the 10/2 engine by now, the following advice is of limited value.

There are some important differences between the 10/2 and later Lister Cs engines as follows:

If the engine still has the original crankshaft, then the big end journals are 2.1/4" dia instead of the later 2.1/2" dia. Consequently these engines use a thick wall bronze backed bearing which is NLA. Hence when buying one of these engines, you need to be sure of big end bearing condition, as this is an item that cannot be sourced from India.

Other important differences:

The rocker shaft arrangement will be as found on the VA version of the CS engine (ie two rocker pillars instead of one centrally placed rocker pillar).

If the engine is an early example it may not have chrome plated cylinder bores, and also no locating boss on the bottom of the cylinder barrel.

Again if it is an early engine you may even have a wet injector, and finally if it still has the original injectors they will be fitted with a feeling pin.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
Any heads up for buying at these Auctions?

Apart from the condition of the items you intend to buy, be aware of buyers premium, which can be anywhere between 10% and 20% on top of the winning bid price.

Also I believe that a GST (Goods and Service Tax) will be levied on the buyers premium aspect of the bill (some opportunities exist for you to side step this tax, i.e. if your registered as a farmer). The GST I believe to be 10%

The buyers premium is a recent phenomena, which auction houses have introduced, so as to screw more money out of the auction, just be aware of it, and factor it into the maximum price your prepared to pay.