Puppeteer

Author Topic: Why have they fell out of favor??  (Read 33323 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Why have they fell out of favor??
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:26:04 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Why have they fell out of favor??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
I think the hobby as a whole is in decline. I also don't see near as much WVO collection as I used to. All of my restaurant customers have gone back to selling their oil to a protein company and I don't see near the adds on Craigslist anymore.

I was late getting into the game. The EPA was really cracking down on the roids and the horizontals were all but gone when I raised my interest, that's why I ended up with an original Lister. I looked into the horizontals at first but the unknown quality and the question of parts availability in the future made it seem a poor long term plan. At least with the Lister I can buy a bunch of spares and let them sit on the shelf until needed. I admit the higher speed horizontals are probably much more up to the task of smooth power generation but I read a few accounts of changfas experiencing flicker as well so decided I would rather deal with a Lister.

Ultimately I think it is a hobby that is fueled by disposable income and the years of hard economic times really put a damper on the number of people who could afford to play. When both the horizontals and the roids were cheap and available on Ebay and everywhere else they had much more exposure and garnered much more interest. I suspect that the roids have suffered the same decline in interest.

Really though I would say the price of solar coming down is the most likely reason. Currently the cost of an engine, generator head, fuel supply, and whatever else is needed to make the set-up usable is enough to outright pay for a 2-3kw solar array and that is without counting on tax subsidies. The solar requires no fuel, little or no maintenance, comes with a warranty, and provides a return on investment. I know personally other than liking to tinker the only reason I invested in a Lister is for a situation when the grid is out and for times when the sun isn't shining, then again I have a Honda generator sitting in the shed that will do the same thing.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »
It might be worth another look at the Lister Alpha series??? They offer a very lightweight and small footprint, 1800rpm for stable power output, current production and plenty of parts readily available, very easy to work on (with just a few caveats), huge numbers being brought into the used marketplace from ex-military. The water-cooled units are available in 2, 3, 4 cylinder versions including a slightly beefed-up turbocharged 4-cylinder. Tough little reliable engines. These are the models built in Kansas up until a year ago. You can find them rebranded as Cummins, Onan, New Holland - same exact engines.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:43:46 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
Why have they fell out of favor??

Because they're not beautiful.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
It might be worth another look at the Lister Alpha series???  very easy to work on (with just a few caveats)

You mean like fuel injection pumps that have the element integral with the pump body, making them a non serviceable and throwaway part, and a cylinder head that is not doweled, hence the head gasket totally relies on the cylinder head bolts for correct location.

Here is someone who has a LPW4G engine, and whom seem to be less than impressed with it, granted his number 1 complaint concerns prices of spares (as he bought from a main dealer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JzYlYoh6aQ

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »
Those guys obviously are being badly abused by their Cummins dealer... do NOT rely on the misinformation provided there. Lister/Petter full list pricing is only a small fraction of what he is quoting. They also do not appear to know what they are doing inside that little engine... too bad they are having a bad time of it. I would be angry as well!

In my experience Cummins has always been difficult to do business with and very expensive with their power generation stuff. I do not like dealing with them at all. Lister/Petter is not known for being inexpensive either, but they have generally justified their position by keeping the quality of everything they offer very high. Do business directly with Lister dealers...

The Alpha engine did have its share of problems in its early versions, but those were gradually worked out. I find it a very easy machine to rebuild and maintain, and it is proven solid and reliable. There are at least 50,000 of them in service with the US Military (maybe a lot more, because that number is just one contract over a 25 year time-frame).

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
Just another example... precisely the same Mitsubishi engine gets rebranded and licensed to various companies under different colors and designations. Mitsubishi S4S, Lister DWS4, Caterpillar 3044, Perkins 804D. Cat charges list price above $9,000 - Lister $5,000, the others are in between I believe. Just a few of the externals and a coat of paint make the difference.

dieselgman

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »

I don't think Changfa's fell out of favor. I think people would buy them if only they could get them.
Noisy...yes, but very durable and tough.
I sold a couple of extra units that I had this year. They sold very quickly when I advertised them.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »
Maybe people who love the Chinese diesels are hoarding them? I know that I have ended up with a pair of S1100's and an 1115 since I got my first one. I wasn't looking for another engine really, they just sort of found me.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

artfull dodger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
I would love to find one of the 4.5hp yanmar LA series clones that were imported for awhile.  Only can get the 6 and 10 hp versions now, which are to tall for where I want to use it.   It has gotten quite difficult to find the Chinese clones, be it hopper cooled or air cooled.    Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's!

artfull dodger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »
What I need is one of the LA170F clones with a keyed crankshaft and electric start.  Dont need several, just need one good one.   Seem hard to come by in the USA.  I have cash in paypal waiting if someone can hook me up with one.   Hopefully soon before the engine in my Wheelhorse gets any worse.   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's!

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
As previously mentioned the EPA and changing demographics . 2-3 generations ago boys grew up working with their Fathers  working on equipmemt on farms and family owned small businesses.  Now the men at that nostalgic  stage and tinkering with stuff are far and few between. The last  few generations being raised in town by single Mothers has wiped out whole generations of future mechanical hobbiests , fisherman, hunters etc.

slimchance

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
How do I find you to discuss purchase? For shipping cost reasons, what part of the world are You In?

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »

I have a Changlian zs1130 30hp (video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R31ZxpoJZg )

and a Yanmar TF70 7hp that I would part with....or trade for a Listeroid

I can be reached at dan at hurdfarms.com

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
buickanddeere,

There are still a few of us young bucks around! I'm 25 and have been tinkering and building as long as I remember (because of my dad and his dad both being teachers in rural MN you fixed it yourself or it didn't get fixed!). I'm looking for an affordable small Diesel engine to tinker with. I have a Subaru Robin RGD5000H I decided is not what I need anymore (trying to sell it), I want something with a flywheel and water cooled. It just seems very difficult to procure a slow speed liquid cooled diesel these days. I found 1 listeroid for sale in a neighboring state with a gen head but they want $3000 and I will most likely have to rebuild the entire thing to make it reliable (half the fun I know, but It would be a lot more fun for $1800 or less). I'm open to the Chinese models as well but I have never seen one for sale in my area.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2