Puppeteer

Author Topic: new oner questions  (Read 3965 times)

rlfervan

• View Profile
new oner questions
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:59:14 AM »
Hi all
New to this forum. been reading for a wile but first post.
Just finished rescuing a CS 3-1.  Had it sleeved. new  rings. cam, tappets exh valve and guide
and a lot of small parts. running good now and starts very easy so i think i will call it a success

i was wondering if there is any records of history of these engines? Ie original purchaser etc.
I will post some pics and vids soon and I am more than happy to share what I have learned from this project

Robert.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: new oner questions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:12:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum Robert!

Lister kept thorough documentation on their products and clients... but suffered an office fire in the 1970's that destroyed a lot of their records. David Edgington's books are an excellent place to go for detailed technical history of the CS as well as other early models. In recent years Lister has suffered many drastic changes in ownership and management... certainly not the same company it used to be, and not likely to have kept much of their remaining historical documentation either. You will have to talk to collectors and enthusiasts to gather such information and this forum is an excellent place to start!

dieselgman
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:14:56 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
I think that most of the early records survived that fire and were in the procession of David Edgington. Sadly  David has recently passed on. But due to the  Brits passion for such I am certain that they will be passed on to a new curator . Be patient for a bit.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

rlfervan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. History is not h=that important, just interesting.
here is a short clip of engine running. 400  rpms Still need to build a better base or cart or something,Also have some work to do on the tank to keep water from
splashing out.  I know everyone will copy my muffler.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEnQVy7BySA[/youtube]

rlfervan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:59:30 PM »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »
Looks and sounds great!  That little can for the injector leak off and the bracket are hard to find items that are usually missing. The can should have a lid with a hole for the line.  My 1938 6/1 had them but in a weak moment I let that engine go.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

rlfervan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
I didn't know about the lid. Thanks.  I have watched about a million you tube vids and never noticed a lid.
I was lucky, the only other part missing was the valve cover.  but although the main and rod bearings were good, literally everything else
that was supposed to move was seized. it was a fun project and I am very happy with result.