Puppeteer

Author Topic: SR2 interchange-ability?  (Read 1988 times)

quinnbrian

• View Profile
SR2 interchange-ability?
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:50:50 AM »
Hello all, I've only been collecting SR2 for about 3-4 years now, and my question is , are they ALL interchangeable.... Like. Can I take a cam out of a reverse rotation and put a regular rotation cam in its place...I know there's a little more to it... Like the cooling fan ...etc.
The reason I ask is I have an sr2 with a little different fan cover , from the rest. It has a notch on the fan side housing, unlike the sweeping  cowl, like the rest, and would like to utilize some starter parts form another SR2 that I just picked up ( thanks you Mr Hughes) :-).
These SR2 might not be an old 12-2 but they are a lot cheaper and a good way to become a little mechanically inclined with the Lister family... One day.... One day I'll buy 6-1 or 12-2 .
Cheers
Brian

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: SR2 interchange-ability?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:29:56 AM »
The SR model was built in both rotations (anti-clockwise for industrial and clockwise for marine), and the two are only interchangeable if you swap the whole set of parts. That would include at least the flywheel, cooling fan, fan housing, camshaft... and starter.

The SR is a close relative to the LR and early models had completely different valves and heads than the later models. Some of the early head parts would interchange with the LR as I recall.

Many of them had Prestolite starters which were a real pain at times... newer Delco types are preferable and available in both rotations to fit the SR machines.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations