Puppeteer

Author Topic: Conceptual DIY lister generator.  (Read 8771 times)

guest22972

Conceptual DIY lister generator.
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »

OK, one of these idle mind, impractical curiosity musings.

A generator basically makes a magnet or magnetic field pass a coil of wire.  Usually the coils are many for various reasons.
If I got a bunch of say Neo ( strong) Magnets and glued them to the flywheel of the roid ( N/s alternate of course)  Could I get away with a practical amount of power from only 1-3 coils of wire?

I'm thinking magnets say 30? and wire coils, 1-3.

I'm a bit generator savvy, love converting induction motors and DC motors but wondering what the characteristics of such a setup would be?  What would the frequency be like for instance and could one use a thick gauge wire and get a strong current?  There seem to be many applications for having something function whenever the engine is in motion so maybe a low power generation could be used this was as well as for multi KW output?

It would just seem a lot easier to glue a bunch of magnets to an existing flywheel  ( and probably cheaper) than winding a load of wire coils.
I have never come across any many magnet/ few coil designs and wondering what the properties of such a setup would be?

Looking forward to learning something!

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Conceptual DIY lister generator.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »
I like it.  Unfortunately I don't know very much about generators.  I've had this same questions about bicycle rims.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:17:39 PM »
You mean like this?

Read the article here. http://www.otherpower.com/listeroid_part2.html
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »
Hey Glort,

Possible, yes.... but.....

You would need a fairly heavy magnetic field to get usable power - take a look see how the cheapy genheads do it by using a small "exciter magnet" and a coil with a diode across it to get a decent field going on the rotor...

Voltage output is related to the speed that the magnetic field crosses the conductor and the number of coils in the field on an individual coil .... The current is related to the thickness of the coil wire and the "density" of the magnetic field..... Eeek.... going way back here.... possibly I am wrong... The number of pole changes present on one rev of the wheel relates to the frequency of the generated ac....

Would be interesting to see though!!

Cheers
Ed

Tom - You beat me to it!! I was about to post similar pics!!
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »
You mean like this?

Read the article here. http://www.otherpower.com/listeroid_part2.html

That looks like the old brake drum , windmill  design.... Never thought of it. But I bet it would work great!!! With a very small foot print. Nice!! Very nice.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 11:53:50 PM »
Tom beat me to the Axial Flux Alternator.    And no "cogging"

Then I saw the header of a reply    Quote from: Tom on Today at 04:17:39 PM
 which reminded me of a cartoon strip called Tom Tomorrow.   Now to fire up he genset because of rain today and tomorrow
http://thismodernworld.com/

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
Hi All

I've been having similar ideas, but I lack the techie knowledge, however, I don't shy away from soaking up as much as I can from everyone else (I wrote a book on plagiarism once, I hasten to add it wasn't my idea)

Anyway, I wondered if a smaller unit made to fit on the free end of the cam shaft and hidden under the cover would chuck out enough to drive a small fan for the radiator?

All help, suggestions, ideas and dodgy jokes welcome.

javascript:void(0);

Cheers

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 09:49:13 PM »
Hi All

I've been having similar ideas, but I lack the techie knowledge, however, I don't shy away from soaking up as much as I can from everyone else (I wrote a book on plagiarism once, I hasten to add it wasn't my idea)

Anyway, I wondered if a smaller unit made to fit on the free end of the cam shaft and hidden under the cover would chuck out enough to drive a small fan for the radiator?

All help, suggestions, ideas and dodgy jokes welcome.

javascript:void(0);

Cheers

I down loaded the complete instructions on how to make a windmill this way, so if anyone wants a copy, just shot me a pm, with your email, and I'll send you a copy.
Cheers
Brian

Stef