Author Topic: Lister JP3 Question  (Read 2886 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Lister JP3 Question
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:00:23 AM »
Hi All

On behalf of a friend...

Would anyone know the PCD of the 3 x 3/4'' holes on the flywheel on the on the gearbox end of a JP3?

(The engine only has one fly wheel)

I know measuring between 2 holes and multiplying by 1.154 should produce an answer but thing have got a bit worn and sloppy over the years.

It appears to be a genny motor converted in the 70's to marine use on a Dutch barge.

My Mate is looking to fabricate a plate for conversion to a flexible drive.

Cheers

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

richardhula

Re: Lister JP3 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
I would measure the specific one, since there are two flywheel sizes, 23" and 26". There may be variations on the drillings as well. Typically the industrial engines had the flywheel at the opposite end to injection pump, whereas the marine (suffix M) engines had flywheel at the front (injection pump) end with the crankcase drilled to take a Blackstone gearbox at the other.

When industrial engines are modified for marine use the better conversions swap the flywheel location.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
Hi Richard

Thanks for that, rather what we were expecting, the vain hope was that would be a standard coupling.

Where the engine started life we have no idea, it was fitted around 30 years back after a rebuild, it looks to have been in a marine environment although not as a propulsion unit.
Cast in the crankcase door is the legend 'Lister Marine Sales' and the silencer is apparently a marine type. The spec plate says 27/3/62MA, No. 60/22058, 1100 RPM. the flywheel (at the 'rear' of the motor) is 26" and it has a dry sump and crankcase de compressors fitted to the crankcase doors. It was bought as a recondition unit from the UK MOD.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

richardhula

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:51:09 AM »
Well that's an interesting combination if the flywheel is at the opposite end from injection pump which is what I would call the rear. Certainly a marine engine although even these had two variants, marine auxiliary and marine propulsion. Yours would be the former given the "MA" on plate, and looks like it was built in 1944.