Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SR2 air compressor?  (Read 16152 times)

Blue

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR2 air compressor?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »
These were essential on any vessel that had air start generators and main engines because if the main air tanks leaked while the vessel was in port with no machinery running it would be impossible to put into service. So first the Lister was started and air put into the main air tanks until a generator could be started to put power on the switch board and run the electrically driven compressor which was larger to fill the air tanks. Then the main engine could be started. The ones I worked with could pump to 300 psi as that was what the main engine required to start but it was a long haul and we used to start the generator on a lot less to speed up the operation. I was on a North sea trawler that had this system along with 220 vdc power !!! Not something to mess about with.
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
Thought I would reawaken this thread with this ebay UK offering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292014585907

Although the listing states it is based on a Lister LD2 engine, it is in fact a Lister ST2. IMHO not a bad price for a running engine / compressor set if your in need of one of these items

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:33 PM »
Nice! haven't had much luck finding One...There in Canada, so I guess I'll have to try and build one...
This summer...maybe..I have a need ..but not a lot of time.
Brian

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 02:35:04 AM »
FWIW I have seen VW air-cooled engines adapted as air compressors - light, portable, fan-cooled etc etc.

Two cylinders run the pump, two cylinders run the engine, and the flat-four layout (boxer) means it's easy to get at the heads for plumbing, I guess

cheers

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 05:39:58 AM »
Very interesting. I cut my teeth on the VW air-cooled engines, way back when... and Lister/Petter was the US Distributor for the VW industrial and power products equipment until recently. I have never seen one of them converted to air-compressor service. Some pictures of that would be welcome. We do have a few of the Lister ST twins converted by Hamworthy though.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »
Very interesting. I cut my teeth on the VW air-cooled engines, way back when... and Lister/Petter was the US Distributor for the VW industrial and power products equipment until recently. I have never seen one of them converted to air-compressor service. Some pictures of that would be welcome. We do have a few of the Lister ST twins converted by Hamworthy though.

dieselgman

Hi.  I have only seen rough ones here - but there's a link here to a youtube . . .

if you have a google there will be swags I think

I grew up with air-cooled beetles before there were Japanese cars in our markets & have a lot of respect for their integrity if they are (a) not modified, and (b) maintained as per spec - especially in relation to oil changes and valve clearances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96_8EvN5l6U

Cheers

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 02:14:57 AM »
They been doing the VW air compressor for awhile, I think there around 90cfm's , but way too big for me. I have a large 4cyclinder DV, and am in need of a smaller unit. Goggle VW air compressors, the company that makes the kits are in the USA. Very nice units.

Brian