Puppeteer

Author Topic: Timing Marks on my SOM flywheels  (Read 14248 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Timing Marks on my SOM flywheels
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »

@ TxBlacksmith:

Gary said "We use a plate steel puller specially cut and hardened with a slot that is assembled over the key and it rotates into the space between flywheel and the ear on the key".
I bought one of those, and it has worked very nicely. This type has the advantage of pulling the Gib key while at the same time pushing the flywheel away. I believe it is more effective than a puller that works by pulling the key against the end of the crankshaft. For reluctant keys, solvent, time, and patience will usually do it!

If Gary cannot supply one, look below: It is a good tool to have, when you need it, you need it!

Here's a link to DEV in India      http://lister-petter.devprecisionengineers.com/lister.htm

A picture of the puller here    http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/Gib_Key_Puller.asp?page=Gib_Key_Puller

If you are in Canada, check here      http://www.justliveoffgrid.com/SpareParts.html  Remember, these prices are in $CAD, so if in the U.S. you will have to figure in the currency exchange.......we are about 30% less on the USD. I have one from here, works well.

Cheers,
Hugh

JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 03:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the info,  While we are talking about flywheels, what is the most common way to correctly measure
the RPM's?  Perhaps a mark or line on the flywheel for an optical tach?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
I have seen an original Lister accessory that responded to engine vibrations to indicate rpms. Not sure how accurate and not too common - collector's item now. The modern factory used an optical reflector on the testing flywheel, dead-on accurate. Most of the electronic governors use a magnetic pickup that grabs a signal from the starter ring gear. Those can be tuned to a very precise setting and ultra sensitive. As a power generation tech, I always go with frequency at the generator head. That is what really matters anyway.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:48 PM »
@TxBlacksmith
For testing, probably as Dieselgman says use a bit of maths on the flywheel/generator pulley and calculate RPM by using frequency.

I was fortunate to find something like this mechanical tach on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONES-INSTRUMENT-CO-MDL-1600-X-2-0-1000-RPM-MECHANICAL-TACHOMETER-TESTED-/141889186229?hash=item21094129b5:g:2gQAAOSw~otWd3WN

Mine has a greater operational range and more attachments, but is similar, and Swiss made.  Works on just about any rotating device, and cost little.
Nice piece of gear to have in the drawer.
Cheers, Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »
Hey TX,

I do it old school... count the exhaust pulses in sets of four using my fingers to tally them off.... when I get to 40 pulses, it equates to 80 revs... of course you need a cheap watch to get the time taken for the test.... With a bit of practice, you will be surprised how accurate you can get...  Works quite well for me up to about 900 rpm, then it goes a bit awry....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

For a cheap, and I mean cheap - less than three quid from China! - rev counter set the wheel circumference on a Fleabay cycle speedo to 1667mm then the display to kilometres and Bob's your mothers brother.

A couple of small brackets and a small neodymium magnet inside the rim of the fly wheel, then multiply the readout by 10.

Get a posher one and you can use it as an hours run meter and all sorts of other things.

If in doubt Google it.

Mine works!

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
Further to my last post,

I've just used another cycle speedo to check the out put revs on the gearbox of my Dutch barge and it clocked up to 980 rpm with no problems, can't get cheaper, surely?

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »
A strip of reflective tape on the flywheel and generator head pulley with an optical tachometer does the job well.
This is the one my neighbor just bought for $13 and it works as well as my more expensive unit:

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Professional-Digital-Tachometer-Contact/dp/B004Q8L894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456683683&sr=8-1&keywords=optical+tachometer

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 01:38:31 AM »
Good price on the tac, but the same price for 10 strips of reflective tape is outrageous.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
I have a photo tach  but like everything else around here that uses batteries and doesnt get used every other day the darn thing is dead every time I pick it up >:(

My most used tach is my old Stewart Warner contact type that I inherited from dad. The are always on Eaby for $15-50 and always work. Not the best if you need speeds with in .00236%  but plenty good enough for the bulk of my work.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
The optical tach above comes with one strip of tape.  They will work with plain white tape but not as well.