Author Topic: Mechanical water pump ideas?  (Read 11961 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Mechanical water pump ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »
I'd love to find something just like this:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|2352533|2234241&id=2482106

only without the "marine" price

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 11:39:03 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of directing the air from the ST head thru a small radiador, and forgo the 20 gallon tank I use, will save a lot of coolant.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 09:00:09 AM »
Hi Bruce,

That is defs not the pump I picked up.... I tagged the make to the closest wreck it was lying next to... I will give him a shout when I get a chance and find out what it is out of....

Glort: I am not to wild about spinning blades on the flywheel, even blunt ones, but i took a bit of a closer look at the breeze coming off the wheels (stover) of TM1 - it is not a stiff blow, more of a forced circulation... Probably enough to hold TM1's temp at about 3/4 load(but difficult to judge accurately because of the low velocity/high area of circulation) - Interestingly, with the little 150mm fan running(out of a scrapped microwave), at 1/2 load the main fan(250mm out of a blower coil on a refrig unit) hardly comes on at all, and then only for about a minute or 2 at a time. I think that the heatex I put in is drawing a lot more heat off than I previously anticipated.... Come to think of it, I stuck a screwdriver into my hand while I was fitting the heatex, so it got the anointment it required for flawless operation....

Mike: I started off with a large tank a la lister original spec, but found it way too cumbersome for a movable unit, hence why I moved to radiator almost initially. A further plus in the long run has been ease of fitting other dangly bits to the cooling system, such as heatex/temp control etc.... I have not looked back!.. In fact, if I suddenly lucked on a full system with a resevoir, I dont think I would even run it with the resevoir to test - I would install a radiator immediately. (Well almost immediately, I would definitely do a balance job first...) The only problems I have had with the durability side of my design have been vibration induced, bolts and tie down chains breaking, radiator core leaks, alternator brush sparking, cables chafing etc....

Bruce, if you have a little 12v available, try a computer style muffin fan or two, in hindsight, looking at the air moved by the small fan on my unit, it equates to about 2x100mm PC fans' worth... Just a thought...

Cheerz
Ed

12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the good tip on the "roller" pumps, Glort.  A bit pricey but they are about I was looking for in a mechanical pump.  We'll start experimenting with a dc solar type pump and up-sizing our hoses when the wind stops.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 01:04:37 AM »
We did a test with a Laing D5-Vario solar pump today.  Even on the lowest setting, we get so much water flow that there is only 2 degrees difference between radiator inlet and outlet.  So the smallest Topsflow 12V pump would do the job, drawing about 10 watts.  Temperatures were still slowly climbing at full load, so now we are going to upsize the thermal chimney for the radiator to 14 inches (from 8"), with total rise of 7 foot, and will use an Empire ventilation turbine on top. The 14" turbine cap draws 700 CFM with a 4 mph wind, and should offer less restriction to the no-wind thermal flow than a standard vent cap. 

Our Honda Civic 3 row radiator inlet is presently 16" above the top of the engine valve cover.  I may try to increase that another 6 inches, and we'll upsize the hoses from 3/4 to 1" heater hose.  That may let us skip the pump. 

I'll update this again once we can retest with the new chimney and hoses.  I really appreciate the help and good ideas!

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
  Not a bad thing with a couple of degrees drop vs an application with 10,20,30 degrees drop across the rad. The cold coolant entering the engine keeps the cylinder water jacket too cold . Cold cylinder walls suffer washdown, carboning and wear.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 08:36:25 PM »
If you look just under the radiator, you will see my Grundfos pump installation. Installed in 2006, still working perfectly.

People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 02:19:33 AM »
wow, no detail missed

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
Proof once again you can put lipstick on a pig.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
We upsized the thermal chimney to 14" diameter, 7.5 feet tall, with a wind turbine for a cap.  Our 3 row Honda Civic radiator is faired into the stack, which brings the total thermal chimney height to about 9 feet above the radiator including cap.

We raised the radiator so that we now have 31 inches to the top of the radiator measured from the top of the valve cover.  We also increased the hose size to 1 inch ID heater hose, adapted up to 1 1/4" the last foot to fit the radiator inlet/outlets.

Without a thermostat, she now seems to hold near 190 F with no wind at sustained full load at an ambient air temperature of 74F. It is fairly good at self regulating but we'll probably put the thermostat back in for winter.

Yesterday we added a 12", 12V, 80 watt radiator fan assembly ($23 on Amazon) to act as an emergency air flow booster, and will power it with full bridge rectified AC.  I'll use an adjustable temperature snap disk to switch the 240VAC feeding the 9 or 12v toroidal step down transformer.  The air boost fan will be insurance for very hot windless summer days.  With even 4 mph winds, the turbine is rated 700 cfm.  We're at 5600 feet elevation and it is rarely still air.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:27:04 PM by BruceM »