Author Topic: SL1 starting problem  (Read 6577 times)

stevo42

• View Profile
SL1 starting problem
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
 Greetings, I have a Lister SL1, belt driving a 2,9 KW generator head. The engine was recently rebuilt when I got it a few years ago and has not seen much use supplying power when the grid goes down. It has always started right up. The fuel line devolved a leak and the engine wouldn't start so after fixing the leak I figured bleeding the injector pump would fix it. Fuel came out but Still no start so I cracked the high pressure line at the injector and had fuel squirting out around the threads when I cranked it over. (wife holding down the rocker) So what now? It looks fairly easy to pull the injector but I thought it a good idea to ask for some input before I go further. Should I try a shot of ether?

guest23837

Re: SL1 starting problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:30:37 PM »
Same as a car, NO ether. Does it have a cold start oil cup?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 02:58:21 AM »
Right... a tablespoon of lube oil in the inlet port might help if temps are low or compression is weak. Do NOT use any ether! If you get even slightly too much, she can pre-ignite during cranking (way too early) and that is like hitting the piston with a sledge hammer. I have seen the little singles bend connecting rods and shatter rings before.

Once your unit has purged all the air, you should hear the injector creak during cranking with all fuel lines tightened up. If you do not hear the injector operating, then maybe have to continue bleeding/purging air a little bit more. Be sure your fuel rack control is in the "excess fuel" fully anticlockwise position for starting. Be patient with her, she just needs a little TLC.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
Is propane up the intake dangerous too?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
Propane as a supplemental fuel once a diesel is warmed up and running presents no problem. I don't believe it will do much good as a starting aid though. A little oil to bring up compression will do wonders. I also have used WD40 sprayed directly into inlet port during cranking to accomplish top cylinder lubrication and initial ignition once compression is adequate. Ether ignites too easily and quickly under lower cylinder temps and pressures.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:20:15 AM »
Maps gas has helped my tractor get started a couple of times.  And I've stuck a heat-gun up the intake on the Witte when it was cold and got ignition after we were all breathing very heavy from cranking it.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 03:40:15 AM »
I've used carburetor cleaner spray, as a "primer" or starting fluid  for small gasoline engines, spark starts it pretty well, and the engines run for a bit before the burn it off, I suspect it would somewhat work in a diesel, not as vigorously as ether.    And maybe a drop or 2 of gasoline into the intake, would be enough vapor to light off a cold engine, or one just a bit low on compression.   But propane does not light well from compression at all.

listerdieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
Take the injector out and invert it so it sprays up into the air when you crank it over. If it sprays fuel with a good sharp crack all is well. If it doesn't then remove the injector and injector pipe and crank the engine and note the fuel being pumped out of the Inj.Pump Delivery valve Holder. It should squirt up to the cyl head. That would verify that you need to pop test the Injector. The Lister Injector on this model is a joy to service. Hope this helps otherwise let the forum know your progress.