Puppeteer

Author Topic: Yet another question  (Read 14203 times)

guest23837

Yet another question
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »
Hi Guys, The fuel connection on my LT1 injector pump is leaking. I need a new fitting it seems to be 5/16 BSW and I can't locate that size. M8 metric bolt seems similar does anyone know if it would fit and hold? Thanks again

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Yet another question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »
The Lister LT range is a metric engine, hence your fitting will be M8

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:38:02 PM »
The Lister LT range is a metric engine, hence your fitting will be M8

Thank you very much Sir! I made an assumption that everything was imperial

guest23837

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:12:20 PM »
Just tried an M8 1.25 bolt, it only screws in a little bit, maybe I'll have to buy the very expensive Lister original part unless anyone has a suggestion?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »
The majority of the Bryce/Lucas fuel injection, (if not all), uses metric fittings. We have the banjo fittings in stock. Sometimes you just need new copper washers (or at least anneal - soften the old ones).

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 03:03:52 AM »
Just a wild guess - maybe it's a fine thread?  M8 x 1.0 ???
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »
The majority of the Bryce/Lucas fuel injection, (if not all), uses metric fittings.

You are correct, all Lucas (CAV) / Bryce fuel injection equipment uses ISO metric thread forms, which came about as a result of CAV manufacturing (under licence) Bosch products prior to WWII.

Just a wild guess - maybe it's a fine thread?  M8 x 1.0 ???

I have since checked this on a LV engine, fuel injection pump (a big brother of the LT engine), and it is M8 x 1.25, so the OP either has some crud present in the fuel pump banjo bolt hole thread or corresponding banjo bolt, or more likely the case thread damage on either the fuel pump banjo bolt hole or on the banjo bolt.

guest23837

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »
Brass banjo bolt had a slightly burred thread!

guest23837

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »
Thank you to all you guys that answered my questions, you probably heard them all a dozen or two times already. The engine is now running, I got the manifold cleaned after reading an article on this site about soaking an exhaust overnight in caustic soda to remove carbon, it worked a treat. I have a small concern in that there's no fuel coming from the leak off pipe, is this normal?
I have ordered a full set of gaskets as I now want to strip her down and paint her before I show her to anyone.
Anyway thanks again you guys are stars!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:49 PM »
The amount of fuel passing through the leak-off pipe can be from nothing at all to a steady drip and still be considered fine. The more wear in the injector holder and nozzle, the more likely it will leak past a small amount of fuel and that shows up in the leak-off system and returns to your fuel filter non-return valve and/or fuel tank.

dieselgman

guest23837

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
Thanks for that mate, everything seems to be OK just looks a bit shabby.  i once had a Petter AD1 and there was a constant flow of fuel from the leakoff, it was a noisy bugger too. Are those little cheapo digital tachos on ebay any good?

guest23837

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
Grrr, I have a very light coloured smoke from the engine, I believe light coloured is fuel? Could it be the injector nozzle? Valve stem oil seal? I can't see an oil seal on the exhaust valve, is this normal?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 11:49:39 PM »
The LT uses a valve stem seal on the inlet side only.
White smoke is often a fuel injector fault... pull and test the injector, especially observe for even spray pattern and snappy operation with no dribbles. While working with the injection system, best practice is to carefully go through the full system including tank and filters and pumps looking for any contamination or problem sources. Going straight to the injector can possibly leave a problem behind that can come right back in your new replacement parts.

dieselgman

guest23837

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »
The LT uses a valve stem seal on the inlet side only.
White smoke is often a fuel injector fault... pull and test the injector, especially observe for even spray pattern and snappy operation with no dribbles. While working with the injection system, best practice is to carefully go through the full system including tank and filters and pumps looking for any contamination or problem sources. Going straight to the injector can possibly leave a problem behind that can come right back in your new replacement parts.

dieselgman

I have a spare injector I'll give it a go. The tank was badly corroded until I get another tank it's just a pipe to an inline diesel filter to the pump. My wife says the smoke is a very light greyish blue. I'm thinking that's oil? The engine is running at the speed for a concrete mixer 1000 rpm I believe, the the smoke is fairly light but if I put the engine under a load it's lighter still. Any clues?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »
Run her under as heavy a load as she will take without smoking heavy and spray-mist a bottle of water into the inlet port once she is good and hot. Just keep a watch on the lube oil in case any water makes it past the rings. It is a good sign that the smoke lightens up under load, she may just need to be cleaned out... the water will do it if you can get her hot.

dieselgman