Puppeteer

Author Topic: new member with SL2 Plant  (Read 3164 times)

4millpower

• View Profile
new member with SL2 Plant
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
Hello there, again another new member here, with a SOM plant from the 60s.  I have spent a bit of time with it since I brought it home and discovered that someone has disconnected the original mains fail, SOM control and wired in a newer version.  The new starting system utilises a separate starter motor and 12 volt battery.  I am wondering why they would do this??  I have had it running, but have a bit of a miss on one cylinder, which I am looking into at the moment.  Electrically, there is no output, until you press a button someone has added, that shorts out totally the shunt field resistor.  Again, not too sure why they have done this?  I was wondering if it has anything to do with the old metal rectifier?? I am going to replace that anyway, as it is so old. 
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I would love to get this machine back into working order. 
The details are  Plant No. 41439LB  Engine No. 4353SL215 Alternator No. 33851/16 Mains fall/auto start box Type MS No.  81512
I have searched the site, but as yet not found anythng quite like the plant I have. 
Thanking you all in advance.
Dave

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: new member with SL2 Plant
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »
Dave,

Welcome to the Forum!

Original documents from Lister/Petter are available for your plant. Other than going through the schematics and comparing the design original vs now, guessing at the motives and understanding of previous owners making the modifications would probably be anyone's guess at best. Testing individual components will probably be in order.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

4millpower

• View Profile
Re: new member with SL2 Plant
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:28:03 PM »
Thanks so much for the quick reply - okay, I'll do a bit more digging.  I really need resistance values and such, to test the windings. I'm hoping I'll work out something, just puzzles me why anyone would mess up an already good starting system. Dave