Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oil level- Lister clone  (Read 8944 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Oil level- Lister clone
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
I agree, Ed.  On my diesel Listeroid I used air cylinders for actuators, so the forces were not an issue, and I can lift the exhaust valve and push in the rack easily.  This is not convenient or appropriate if compressed air isn't available. (My Listeroid does both air compressor and generator service, and so does my neighbor's propane converted Lister CS clone.)  Electric gear motor driven actuators for forces above giant scale RC servo range can get quite expensive. 

I think an electric solenoid to release the governor spring is an excellent solution if you can get the trigger release mechanism to be low enough force.  Much like a gun trigger release?  (lower force) Or perhaps the solenoid shaft is the pin that holds the spring, and it gets pulled free (more force).  Having seen some of your marvelous mechanical design projects, I look forward to seeing your solution. 

A cheap RC servo could also be used for more force, just remove the electronics board, and drive the motor in the right direction, with limit switch to kill the power to the motor.  It could be manually reset by just turning the output servo arm.   Alternately you can make a "smart" servo. A Picaxe 8M or 14M (8 or 14 pin dip, 5V, no support chips needed) or an Arduino can make the servo do whatever you want with whatever control signal(s) you have. 

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 06:09:16 PM »
Bruce, would you post a pic of your air compressor setup. I'm trying to get motivated to do something on mine. I'd really like to have a blasting cabinet and be able to sandblast equipment for more than 3 min at a time.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 09:52:23 PM »
Hey Bruce,

A sear type system such as in rifle triggers would be awesome to implement, but would be prone to dirt etc making it either hard to set, or hard to release...

I am also not 100% wild about r/c servos, I bent my heli's a few times due to servo failures, it started to get quite expensive eventually, we tracked the failures down to being vibration related.... and goodness knows, theres enough shock and vibration on even a smooth running roid!

I have another idea, best described as an over center linkage... 3 or 4 links in series, the center 2 'fold back' on themselves just slightly over center... a small push at 90 degrees will release the links allowing them to straighten out and extend to length, this would slacken the governor spring and the rack would be driven closed... quite simple I think... To reset the linkage, simply fold the links back into position and away you go! What I like about this idea is that there is pretty much zero chance of failure... if it does fail, it fails safe too... The push could be anything from a gentle tug on a piece of string to a quick jab from a solenoid plunger... the release force can be set by how far over center the link rests, so it might even suffice as a type of mechanical vibration detector if set fine enough... Who knows!

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »
Hi Tom, Nothing special on the compressor.  You can see my neighbor's setup in this video for the DES propane conversion starting at about 40 seconds in.  My base and compressor mount, and belt drive are identical, but my pump is a different model no longer available from Eaton.

https://youtu.be/ol39s0ngv2U

We are using the built in compressor unloader cylinders with a three way ball valve and pilot valve to be able to force the compressor off when desired.  It's a 5HP dual stage compressor head from compressor world.

http://www.compressorworld.com/5-hp-replacement-industrial-air-compressor-pump-1105.html#sthash.r1WIrYCO.dpbs

It's driven on a single B belt, on a pulley just outboard of the non-ip side flywheel. 

I'm not impressed with Compressor World for support, and suggest EatonCompressor.com  instead.

Ed, looking forward to seeing your folded back link design.  I can't picture it.