Puppeteer

Author Topic: Castings and parts available for "build your own" Listeroid? Is it legal??  (Read 13571 times)

blkadder

• View Profile
Re: Castings and parts available for "build your own" Listeroid? Is it legal??
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
I was reading this thread, and it reminded me of the same discussions on another forum I frequent, but it was about firearms.  In the case of firearms, you can buy "parts kits" for pretty much any rifle or sub machine gun, and add some tubing or other parts, and you have a fully functional weapon.

I have been interested in building one of these engines for a very long time.  Sure if the EPA stops by, and wants to check things out, you might be in for a bit of trouble, but what are the chances of that.

If there are any sources for lets say, the bottom end of a 6/1 I know I would be interested.
Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »
We stock everything needed to build up several models... Kansas USA.

Regarding Natural Gas powered engines and CHP systems... similar rules apply except for the engine description changed to spark-ignition. Tier 4 regulation and certification requirements also apply to Natural Gas or other alternatively fueled equipment.
The major catch is, a business trying to sell them without such certifications in place could face crippling fines and possibly be forced out of business as a result.

I would not worry about anyone taking on the hobby shows or looking at antiques as a problem. After a machine is within the US borders our EPA has to have some strong triggers tripped before they would take an interest... such as someone trying to intentionally stir up trouble or just being stupid about the public presentation. I have no knowledge of an individual ever being in trouble for owning/operating a non-compliant engine... but Homeland Security is tasked to enforce for the EPA when something of interest is coming through US Customs and businesses doing the importing are most definitely right in the cross-hairs.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
The fun thing about any forum is the ease with which one can ignore the silliness

Or those with holier than thou attitudes that get bitchy and bent out of shape when they get replys they asked for but don't like.   ::)

+1
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »

dkmc, if you properly read the replies, there was no inference to YOU SELLING engines. The subject of selling was discussed because it is an important issue which delineates the ways in which EPA engines are regulated. So....the point is that if YOU do not build/import engines to sell them you should be ok building a custom engine for yourself.( Or making patterns and parts for yourself....or making plans and drawings for the web....or anything you want to do, other than Selling Engines).

Gents,

If castings (or patterns) for parts are available (or fabricated) I believe it is completely ok to go ahead and build an engine for yourself. For private use.
The issue starts when engines are imported for sale and distribution.
So, if someone wanted to build an engine from parts (maybe some bought parts and some home manufactured parts to make a more modern version of the 6/1) I don't think that would be an issue.
There are many many examples of hobbyists building their own engines.
Example...
RADIAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8onOcGSRTjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zin3GNAy9cE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39AYkooNYM

IN-LINE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRX3VWWGr30

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

blkadder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 04:24:41 AM »
When reading this post initially, my mind went almost directly to my current hobby, building firearms from parts kits.  Currently, I am welding up an UZI, only because I have wanted one for such a long time.  We firearm builders have to make sure that the weapons we build are semi auto only, and not easily convertible to full auto.  I would imagine that building up one of these diesel engines would kind of be the same.  We would have to make sure that the engine would be running as best as it can to keep the emissions down a bit.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

MachineNLectricMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
Usually what you do for your own use on your own property is very difficult to Federally regulate under the constitution. Local state and county laws or ordinances can be different, especially if your property is in an incorporated city area. Given the sparse and mostly rural use of these engines, and the small scale of their effects, I can't see any real "public" benefit from restricting the use of the Listers. This is a general requirement for Federal regulation under the Constitution.

That said, the previous administration would have done away with our constitution if they could have gotten away with the deed.

Now Scott Pruit, the guy now in charge of the EPA, in his previous role once filed numerous lawsuits against the EPA. There's hope here! Way back in his early local political career, I had spoken with him a few times on various issues. I always got the impression he was a pretty down to earth and practical person with lots of good common sense. We'll have to wait and see what he does in the long run with that EPA agency. I know the Sierra club hates him, which is actually a good sign. Maybe he has some common sense changes in mind for the future. Trump, his boss, would just as soon do away with the EPA all together.