Author Topic: Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures  (Read 21352 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »
Weight just may be a stabilizing factor.  Not in the "Big is Beautiful" mantra.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
12/2 update, this engine is now on a skid and ready for cool springs. Leaving early tomorrow morning.

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 05:55:15 AM »
Very neatly done.
...can't help to wonder how you're going to move that...   :o How do you offload at the show? Do the organizers provide lifting equipment or are you left to your own devices?
(Video of it running?)
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »
Now that looks great. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
The show I went to this week I just left it on the trailer and ran it there, I intend to buy a tilt deck to make loading and unloading a little easier. Or if I find a set heavy duty enough just put it on wheels.
Very neatly done.
...can't help to wonder how you're going to move that...   :o How do you offload at the show? Do the organizers provide lifting equipment or are you left to your own devices?
(Video of it running?)

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »
I have a single axle trailer that I tilt for offloading. I'll take some pics of how I do it - but not anytime soon. I have lots more work to do before I can take the Lister for a ride...
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2016, 11:56:26 PM »
I have a single axle trailer that I tilt for offloading.

I do the same. Only unloaded a lister once but plenty of practice with IBC's full of veg oil.
Just load them slightly to the back of the trailer and put a car jack under the back on one side.  Chock wheels front and back.  Unhitch the trailer and then lower the back of the trailer in a controlled fashion.  Load slides out onto 4x2'S or whatever you want to put it on.  Unchock trailer wheels and pull trailer out.  Easy!

Loading can be done the same way with a winch to pull the load in but make sure what you are winching from ( such as front of trailer) is strong  enough or put in a reinforcement that is.
Never done it but I have seen people bend the front of their trailers from pulling on them and having mishaps though not having trailer wheels and ramps secured.  Seen a lot of people with big bikes try and ride them onto trailers on a ramp and then spit the unsecured ramp out when they get part way up which results in the bike ( and them) falling over or off the trailer. Not good ( or smart!) 

Think which way and what forces are taking place.

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »
Here is a video of either the first or second run still mounted on the factory skid. What a fun day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5qRsRTL0s

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »
re building engines

. You may have seen this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_EDxV_rRc

Cheap and plentiful labour, non existent safety requirements, lots of cheap machinery. Ill try to find the foundry video, open channels of sand with rivers of  molten  iron, workers in shorts, barefooted and no goggles....... Find an iron foundry  in america that can get away with this, you are in with a chance....
Hell, even ,your environment people would prevent the use of such engines en mass....
The west simply cannot compete....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-jD-lGouuE

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:51:45 AM by starfire »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
re building engines

. You may have seen this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_EDxV_rRc

Cheap and plentiful labour, non existent safety requirements, lots of cheap machinery. Ill try to find the foundry video, open channels of sand with rivers of  molten  iron, workers in shorts, barefooted and no goggles....... Find an iron foundry  in america that can get away with this, you are in with a chance....
Hell, even ,your environment people would prevent the use of such engines en mass....
The west simply cannot compete....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-jD-lGouuE

So painful to watch !

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »

Cheap and plentiful labour, non existent safety requirements, lots of cheap machinery. Ill try to find the foundry video, open channels of sand with rivers of  molten  iron, workers in shorts, barefooted and no goggles....... Find an iron foundry  in America that can get away with this, you are in with a chance....

I'm sorry but as much as it will tick a lot of people off, the west, ESPECIALLY Americans, have been sucked in and brainwashed aplenty by the saftey industry which has turned the hard men of steel into a pack of whining sissy cry babies that are ignorant and can't think for themselves.

EVERYTHING has to be about safety. Forget the fact that you are using something that can remove body parts in a flash, you HAVE to be wearing gloves becase they will protect you from everything where as if you are not, there is no possible chance you are going to survive another 2 min in the/ any work place.

When people see something from a 3rd world country where they aren't wrapped in safety gear that would do little if anything at all to protect them in what they are doing, oh geez! the world is ending.
Never do they stop to think in their ignorance that if that guy wearing sandals was burning or cutting his toes off every day he would be too stupid and ignorant not to put on shoes.  Likewise, if the guy was cutting his hands to ribbons he would be so stupid and brain dead that he couldn't work out he needed gloves.  Likewise, all the other people seeing other workers losing feet and arms etc on the supposed daily basis the safety Nazis make out, they too wouldn't go " Oh, Fk! we need to do something about this! "

The most important thing with safety is your brain and preventing the accident in the first place.  Yes, you can have an accident but 99% of the time, the things the safety sissys whine about arent going to save you.
I saw a doco about the Indian railways recently.  Of course the comments were filled with the same, inane and predictable safety drivel. You know what you moron, If that locomotive rolls over that guys foot or hand, it don't matter Wether he is wearing sandals, steel cap boots or 100 pair of gloves, he's still Fked!  If that pallet of concrete sleepers falls on his head, he'll want to be wearing a battle tank on his head because bit of cloth or hard hat is not going to make one shit of difference and that's what the guy is doing all day long.

To arrogantly profess these people are stupid because they don't have a fluro vest or gloves just shows the ignorance and contempt of the safety whingers in not giving people credit to be able to think for themselves. Just because that has become the corporate mentality of the west, does not make those whom have to look after themselves and are responsible for their own well being stupid, it makes US the fools. The whole " Saftey" brainwashing thing is nothing more than the advertising of a self serving industry that has way over stepped it's agenda and blown it's importance way out of proportion.

Yes, it is important to be safe but that doesn't start and stop with wearing Products.  They will only protect you from minor and recoverable injury's for the most part.  And for those that want to argue or carry on with more lofty crap, save it. I was at the police station this very morning with a detective giving a statement about someone that was killed on a work site last year that was wearing every bit of gear required and fell all of 9 ft.
So much for him wearing safety gear.

A friend of mine was telling me about an experience working in the outback mines.  He was saying how all small engines on pumps and generators and hydraulic units now all have to be diesel. He said how they also needed 2 men to lift by OH&S because of their weight. All petrol engines wherever possible are banned in the industry. I asked why that was? He told me that the cause happened at a part of a mine he worked at.
Some tool went to refill a petrol pump that had been going flat out and was hot. He didn't have a funnel and rather than get one, he slopped the petrol out of a jerry can. It went all over him and the engine and flashed on the hot muffler. He was badly burned ( what, not fire proof suit PPE??)  and as a result, they banned all petrol engines from the industry.

And this is how this safety crap works in the west. One idiot does something stupid so they assume everyone is as brain dead and brings in some arse covering rule to supposedly stop it happening again as if it happened every day.
I am not against working safely and I am not against safety gear. What I am against is the presumption that PPE protects one from all harm and anyone not wearing it is stupid or putting themselves at extreme and preventable risk. that is not the case no matter what sort of fabricated BS the safety zealots want to dream up rather than admit they are wrong, ignorant and have been brain washed.
Safety gear is fine but only to a point will it help save you.

These people in the 3rd world know they hurt themselves and can't work, their family starves or their kids start selling themselves on the street corner. No compo and insurance payouts for them to live fat and happy on after suing someone else for their own stupidity and lack of intelligence.  The mentality of the west these days is peoples personal responsibility is someone elses job, not theirs. No matter what stupid thing you do, it's someone else's fault you did it.

I get the safety nazi sissy whining little girls on  my YT vids all the time. There is no pleasing them with their safety crap. One I get a lot is because I don't wear gloves when welding or using a plasma cutter.
I did a vid which I think I accidentally deleted, with a sausage, glove and the plasma Cutter.  Stuck the sausage in the glove, turned the plasma right down, hit the glove with the start burst from the plasma and then pulled the meat out.  Clearly if your finger was in that thick leather glove, they are still probably just going to cut it off when you get to causality. The damage was severe and probably unrecoverable. Without the glove on the same test, The sausage looked better because for a start it didn't have all the burnt fibres from the glove blown into it and I think there was less burning due to no leather to combust and be blown into the wound. I'd still say a lost digit so the glove would do nothing other than possibly protect from minor burns..... which I very rarely get anyway. To my unscientific observation, in this particular scenario, the glove could very well result in a WORSE injury than not having it at all.
The downside for me in wearing a thick glove would be significant in having less feel, grip and control with what I was doing with the cutter which increased the chance of mishap.
  For me this out weighs the limited protection from minor and rare burns I get.

Gloves I could work in are not going to do squat to stop me removing a finger or the doctor having to remove it if I get into the " I'm wearing safety gear so don't have to use my brain" mode.
If I burnt or cut my hands repeatedly through not wearing gloves, do people really take it I am that goddam stupid I wouldn't put some on? No poverty/ can't afford them excuses in this case.
Like wise with the chain saw and log splitter. You really think a pair of gloves is going to let me keep my fingers if I put them in the way of a screaming 65CC driven tungsten chain or wedge them in the wrong place with a 50 ton splitter?  The thing is I DO wear gloves using the splitter. NOT for any stupid safety mantra but because I get splinters from the wood. Nothing to do with safety, it's a comfort thing. I hate splinters and the wood I split is loaded with them. I know there is a problem so I mitigate it. Were there is no problem I don't . Reasonable enough is it not?

The other place the safety zealots prove their stupidity and ignorance is they have to parrot the same drivel and crap no matter how many times it's already been said.  They can't give people the freedom to make their own choices, if it's not their way it's the wrong way.  Every time I get someone crapping on to me about misplaced safety garbage, I start whining at them for USING safety gear.  No one browbeats them for their choices, so why do they have to whine at me for mine?  I'm not in kindy now, I'm big and grown up and can vote and drink and...... Decide for myself what the risk factor of what I'm doing is and what precautions I need to take.
And that's another thing... I don't drink or smoke or do other things to my body that I have seen many of the safety brainwashed do. If I ridiculed them for their saturday night pissups at the local boozer, I'd be deluged with all sorts of things about free country, their choice, they can do what they want and if they get liver or kidney failure, it's their choice.
Funny how those same things don't apply in their narrow minds to others making choices for themselves about their welfare.

NEVER has one single safety whiner EVER  commented or given me a heads up about what I HAVE hurt myself with.  All they see is gloves and glasses and a hard hat and boots.  Never do they see or point out to anyone a real safety concern..... that trip hazard, the opposite reaction to the object being moved, the problem with sparking that wire on the terminal of that over worked battery or anything else... all things I often see but all the zealots crap on about is "gear".  To spot real danger requires actual thinking, experience and knowledge rather than just appearing to be smart by parroting the same old mindless drivel.  Yep, drop a 4 ton load on that one tone truck and as long as you are wearing Gloves, boots, glasses and a fluro vest, no risk or problem at all. You never see the safety sissy zealots say a thing about that!

The whingers do NOT give the flying ship they all pretend to have about anyone's welfare or well being. All they want to do is look smarter than they are by parroting something they have been brainwashed with before and fail to see where it outdoes it's usefulness and becomes nothing more than a marketing ploy for big business. Many others lambaste those that are not brainwashed as they are into thinking that all they have to do is don certain products and they are insulated from all harm.

Forget that guy has been working in that foundry 20 years, he must be some sort of 3rd world idiot who can't think for himself if he wears sandals.  Couldn't possibly be that he knows the risks and what he is doing and takes precautions the zealots can't even recognise for potential dangers they can't see.

I'd love to see the accident stats from these people that wear no PPE and work in these hash conditions and compare the numbers to the workers ( the few left) in the western world.
I'd bet my arse those peasants have a lot less injuries, sick days and over all workplace problems that the PPE OH&S brainwashed Westerners in anything like the same industry.

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
I agree completely with ONE exception..........I always have some sort of eye protection on, even if it's only my reading glasses to see better. I've had a steel splinter in the eye and it's not something I want to experience again. I also do not wear rings, watches, long sleeves, etc. around my lathe or mill.........common sense for cryin' out loud. I also avoid earmuffs, hard hat, Kevlar safety suit, groin protection (?) etc. etc. Sure, I've had my share of minor cuts and bruises and, surprisingly, I learned to avoid those.

But aside from that, LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE! Go give your canned safety talk to people that will nod their robotic heads in agreement. I have work to do.

Another thought: If I wanted the cushiest job in the world, I'd be a "safety supervisor". You know, the guy that gets paid a six figure salary for sitting in his office studying new posters to put on the shop walls while he plans his next monthly safety meeting, advising men who have been doing their job safely for more years than he's been alive. Talk about a great career!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:32:19 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Wow!

Donald Trump you are needed here.  Bravado recruits awaiting your wisdom. 

I have no idea how old the mind is before it starts thinking about tomorrow.  Mine jelled with the death of my father.  His early death was brought on by his decisions and choices but they were based on ignorance.  A dangerous place to plan for life.  Now that I've helped a few more people into the box of life I'm even more safety conscious with a stern eye on the long ball. 

The hard ball of ignorant safety planning is that in modern societies the people pay for the sickly and dying.  Those that are educated enough to keep away from dusts, chemicals and falling crap often find niches where the taxes are low and life is sweet on the golf course.

Life a mere 100 years ago was hard and most labor suffered from back trouble brought on by being walked upon.  Remember when the United States started Social Security 80 years ago the retirement age was set to 65 because few people lived that long.  Now the median age is over 65.  Just shows how stupid we've become.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
(for me the painful part was the fellow with the sledge hammer working on the crankshaft)