Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures  (Read 31378 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »
Weight just may be a stabilizing factor.  Not in the "Big is Beautiful" mantra.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
12/2 update, this engine is now on a skid and ready for cool springs. Leaving early tomorrow morning.

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 05:55:15 AM »
Very neatly done.
...can't help to wonder how you're going to move that...   :o How do you offload at the show? Do the organizers provide lifting equipment or are you left to your own devices?
(Video of it running?)
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »
Now that looks great. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
The show I went to this week I just left it on the trailer and ran it there, I intend to buy a tilt deck to make loading and unloading a little easier. Or if I find a set heavy duty enough just put it on wheels.
Very neatly done.
...can't help to wonder how you're going to move that...   :o How do you offload at the show? Do the organizers provide lifting equipment or are you left to your own devices?
(Video of it running?)

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »
I have a single axle trailer that I tilt for offloading. I'll take some pics of how I do it - but not anytime soon. I have lots more work to do before I can take the Lister for a ride...
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 12:04:42 AM »
Here is a video of either the first or second run still mounted on the factory skid. What a fun day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp5qRsRTL0s

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »
re building engines

. You may have seen this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_EDxV_rRc

Cheap and plentiful labour, non existent safety requirements, lots of cheap machinery. Ill try to find the foundry video, open channels of sand with rivers of  molten  iron, workers in shorts, barefooted and no goggles....... Find an iron foundry  in america that can get away with this, you are in with a chance....
Hell, even ,your environment people would prevent the use of such engines en mass....
The west simply cannot compete....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-jD-lGouuE

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:51:45 AM by starfire »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
re building engines

. You may have seen this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_EDxV_rRc

Cheap and plentiful labour, non existent safety requirements, lots of cheap machinery. Ill try to find the foundry video, open channels of sand with rivers of  molten  iron, workers in shorts, barefooted and no goggles....... Find an iron foundry  in america that can get away with this, you are in with a chance....
Hell, even ,your environment people would prevent the use of such engines en mass....
The west simply cannot compete....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-jD-lGouuE

So painful to watch !

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
I agree completely with ONE exception..........I always have some sort of eye protection on, even if it's only my reading glasses to see better. I've had a steel splinter in the eye and it's not something I want to experience again. I also do not wear rings, watches, long sleeves, etc. around my lathe or mill.........common sense for cryin' out loud. I also avoid earmuffs, hard hat, Kevlar safety suit, groin protection (?) etc. etc. Sure, I've had my share of minor cuts and bruises and, surprisingly, I learned to avoid those.

But aside from that, LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE! Go give your canned safety talk to people that will nod their robotic heads in agreement. I have work to do.

Another thought: If I wanted the cushiest job in the world, I'd be a "safety supervisor". You know, the guy that gets paid a six figure salary for sitting in his office studying new posters to put on the shop walls while he plans his next monthly safety meeting, advising men who have been doing their job safely for more years than he's been alive. Talk about a great career!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:32:19 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Wow!

Donald Trump you are needed here.  Bravado recruits awaiting your wisdom. 

I have no idea how old the mind is before it starts thinking about tomorrow.  Mine jelled with the death of my father.  His early death was brought on by his decisions and choices but they were based on ignorance.  A dangerous place to plan for life.  Now that I've helped a few more people into the box of life I'm even more safety conscious with a stern eye on the long ball. 

The hard ball of ignorant safety planning is that in modern societies the people pay for the sickly and dying.  Those that are educated enough to keep away from dusts, chemicals and falling crap often find niches where the taxes are low and life is sweet on the golf course.

Life a mere 100 years ago was hard and most labor suffered from back trouble brought on by being walked upon.  Remember when the United States started Social Security 80 years ago the retirement age was set to 65 because few people lived that long.  Now the median age is over 65.  Just shows how stupid we've become.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
(for me the painful part was the fellow with the sledge hammer working on the crankshaft)

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 11:16:12 PM »
Here in NZ, we have a fascination for high visibility jackets, those plastic floppy things in florescent colours that get tangled in everything. They are so common that they go unnoticed. Yesterday I saw a sign above a door way in our local engineering shop that  said " caution, low doorway" Im now expecting any day now  signs reading "caution, sign ahead"
Didnt mean to derail this topic though, but this worksafe crap is over the top now, one reason the Chinese can take us over economically, the other of course being western greed of shipping the manufacturing offshore and still reaping the short term profits. Hats off to China, India....good on them,  we deserved it through our own stupidity.
They get the job done that we can no longer do.  I see too that even in a legislated "safe" cotton wool environment, the stats in America say one in 5 is morbidly obese, 1 in 7 is hooked on drugs...... perhaps they need a safety sign and poster  for that too.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »
One problem with your theory Glort, it requires a person to accept personal responsibility for his actions, afraid that isn't going to happen. It always somebody else s fault don't ya know???? ???

I completely agree with your views on this nonsense but we are in a shrinking minority, I saw a women last week running a string line trimmer in her yard and she was wearing a forestry helmet with full face shield (eye protection good idea) and earmuffs( good idea)  plus chaps such as worn when running a chainsaw ;D, Elbow length heavy duty gloves ;D Carhart type insulated coveralls( it was 95 out)  ???  Knee high heavy duty boots PLUS had one of those green red safety vest on and EXACTLY what you just said came to my mind,,,,,  You are obviously a blooming idiot and your going to find a way to get hurt in spite of looking like a fool wearing all that garb,,,
Collector and horder of about anything diesel