Author Topic: seeking CS 8/1 Aluminium Piston  (Read 9943 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
seeking CS 8/1 Aluminium Piston
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »
Hi All
I'm looking to beg borrow or buy an aluminium 8/1 piston.

I've just rebuilt a load of miscellaneous bits into a 6/1, amazingly it runs, albeit with a lot of vibration.

It started life as a 3/1 hopper cooled version, well according to the spec plate, which didn't look to have been previously tampered with. On wire brushing the fly wheels I found marks leading me to believe they (and thus the bottom end) are 3/1 and as such they would have been balanced for the smaller, less heavy, piston.

On balancing the crank and flywheels together I found them to be around 800 grams short of counter weight, (using a weight equal to that of the piston, rings, gudgeon pin and bearing, along with half the weight of the con rod hanging off the crank pin)

Rather than add weight I wondered if there would be an advantage to be gained by using the lighter piston. Certainly there would be less danger of launching a couple of pounds of lead around the workshop!

I'm In the south of France at the moment but will be back in the UK for the New Year.

As it is a bit of an experiment I'd ideally like something at the cheaper end of things!

As always any help, advice and comment is more than welcome

Cheers All

Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: seeking CS 8/1 Aluminium Piston
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:13:23 AM »
Just be aware that the rings are different on the 8/1 aluminum piston.  I wouldn't worry about adding lead weight to the rims for the iron piston, myself. 

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:50:07 AM »
The alloy pistons (with rings) are readily available from a number of sources. The attendant reduction in reciprocating mass can be a very good thing.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

2ringers6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
I got a 6-1 that mistakenly had a aluminum piston instead of the cast iron.  I decided to put it together with that to try it.  It balanced very well. 

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »
We have some 6/1 customers specify the aluminum piston so that they can run at the higher rpm on-demand without any internal modifications required.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations