Puppeteer

Author Topic: Original Lister 12/2 oil pressure gauge help  (Read 4359 times)

Jake65mm

• View Profile
Original Lister 12/2 oil pressure gauge help
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »
I have a lister 12/2 and I would like to put a oil pressure gauge on it, does anybody have an idea of what the are and if they are available? I also noticed in pictures there seems to be a valve under the gauge, is that an isolator valve or a shutoff.
Thanks for the help
Jake

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Original Lister 12/2 oil pressure gauge help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »
To find an original version of this gauge will be difficult in the extreme (because they were only fitted to 12/2 engines, by the time the 16/2 was introduced, they were no longer fitted due to a cost reduction drive). However sourcing a modern equivilant item should not be difficult.
The reason for the valve is to protect the gauge, as the oil pump pulsations would otherwise quickly destroy the Bourdon tube in the pressure gauge. When starting the engine you only open the valve for a few seconds to check the oil pressure on start up, once oil pressure has been established the valve is used to isolate the pressure gauge from the constantly fluctuating pressure source.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
What I used to do was close the shut off valve until all the fluctuations at the gauge had stopped and leave it like that. That way it was always registering even if it took a couple of seconds to come up after starting. Good luck.

Blue
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
In addition to the ball valve, I install a fluid filled gauge with about a 25 PSI scale

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
Just install a snubber orifice and leave the pressure gauge valved in 24/7.