Puppeteer

Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 289536 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #600 on: June 18, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
Hey Guys,

A prelim fuel usage number just measured on the burner....

Air pressure: 2bar
Air Nozzle size: .5mm
Start Time: 12h55
End Time: 14h20
Compressor Run Time: 5 minutes (Included in above time)
Lapse Time: 1H25M, 85min
Fuel Tank: 695mmx560mm - ie 3892cm Square
Fuel Usage Measured: 4mm drop in level
Fuel Volume Calculated: 1556.8cc
Fuel Usage Rate at 2bar: 18cc per minute/1100cc per hour (Worst Case, Run Rich for this session, started from cold too)

Now, just supposing....

Start temp of water is 20C, target is 50C...

30C increase at 0.11C per minute gives us a burner run time of around 4.5hours...

About 5L of sump goop consumed and dispatched with in pretty much one of the most enviro-friendly and useful ways I can think of.....

'Nuff said....

Keep it cooking...

Cheers
Ed

Edit: A little bit of maths...

1 Joule = 1 Watt / Second
4.186J are required to heat 1cc of water by 1deg C
300L of water, raised 1 degree, will take 300000 x 4.186Joules...
ie 1255800J of energy...
To raise the same amount of water by 0.11C will take 0.11 X 1255800, ie 138138J....
Which is the energy absorbed by the water in one minute as measured..
This gives us, when multiplied by 60, 8288280 Joules in one hour....
1 Watt being 1 Joule/Second(when reworked), the "Wattage" then works out as
divide 8288280 by 3600 seconds for one hour, gives us 2302W average for that hour...
ie 2.302KwH
Taking that 1L of oil contains about 10Kw of energy...
we are running at about 2.3 / 10 X100 % efficiency....ie 23%....Not great by any means, but within spec for improvement by lagging piping if needed, and bypassing unused heat exchangers if required......

PS - I probably cocked up the calcs, feel free to correct me!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:08:14 PM by EdDee »
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 19, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
Hey Glort...

Agreed... but I would like to up the efficiency a bit... It might help a bit to put a s/steel "swirler" in the fire tube to radiate more heat outward, just don't know how quickly it would clog up...

Bypassing the other heatex's would also be a big plus (and some lagging of course), something I will work on too eventually... or maybe never....

First got to install the basement distribution pump, I took it off TM1's chassis and installed a circ pump in its place... I am reworking the flow lines to get better mixing while on burner and as little mixing as possible when the burner is shut down...

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 24, 2018, 11:09:32 PM »
I have seen just a flat strip of metal with a few twists in it used in gas water heater tubes here. Come to think of it, the old 5hp flathead briggs and stratton also had one in the intake manifold/carb, I guess to swirl the fuel air mix.

Keep on inventing!
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 25, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »
Hey Guys!

Right, so a few days on in the world I have successfully managed to:

Make up a pressure adjuster setup with re-circulation so I don't "dead head" the circ pump (or cook it)
Fit the distribution pump in the basement/cellar.
Rewire the "Hot Water Timer" to allow only the distribution pump to operate.
Extend the "Chimney" by about 2.5m (Which is also TM1's exhaust stack)
Make and fit a "rain cap" to the chimney....before I fitted it!

And....

Have had a few good soaks in the oil fired hot water system!!

Now... Back to the oil cracking and boiling....

Last night I made up and fabricobbled a fitting for the high temp chamber outlet that is height adjustable (to easily change the stack height), hopefully I will get a chance to fit and test it today... Basically it is a tube in a tube with a 60 degree'd tapered copper ferrule type seal - loosen the clamp nut and the one pipe can slide inside the other, tighten at required length and (hopefully) it will form a gas-tight seal as part of the clamping process... Let's see what happens!

Keep it cooking...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
Hey Glort!

I think FabriCobbled comes from AVE's Youtube channel.... Can't remember now....

One thing I am looking for which I saw on his channel is a "Thumb Busting Nut F@#%er" ... Basically a shifting spanner with a hammer face protrusion on it.... I gotta get me one of those for sure!!

Been doing the slip fit compression fittings for ages too... Had to do a bit of fancy footwork on the last one with the copper gasket compression ring... there are pics below...

I have the beer keg....currently using it for reserve fuel, nicely sealed, but I am a bit scared to boil 20 or so L of gunk at a time... I almost have a squirt attack when the crackernator coughs... and that is only about 500ml or maybe a bit more in process at a time.... (Also, not wild about the stainless cracking from heat on the keg....)

TM's HE is a tube in tube... on both his outlet pipe and the burner HE as well... On TM1's coolant side I use a coiled copper HE, just because.... well actually, really because there is little to no chance of fouling as it is a liquid/liquid exchanger....

I have been running the crackernator pretty much the whole day, playing with piping to the burner and the drain lines, sorting things out to make it more idiot proof in its operation... The output has been almost orange, kinda like a bad kidney output, but nice and clear... A change from the bright yellow stuff I have been pulling mostly... The output tower is at its minimum height, I might have to butcher it and drop it down some more, I am trying to up the viscosity a bit more than it currently is....

Do yourself a favour and get a lathe.... the weird sh!t I have to make from repurposed bits would cost a fortune if I didn't have one!

Keep it cooking...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 02, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
Hi Guys....

Another weekend in paradise is over...Sore muscles, aches and pains to show for all the fun I had...

The BJG1 (Blow-Job-Gennie #1) is up and running, not doing anything more constructive than charging batteries x 2 (638 Tractor/Car batteries) at the moment... It is scaring the living sh!te out of me at the moment though... We are currently experiencing winds of around 60km/h gusting up to about 120km/h... The pucker factor is...well...XP (Extremely Puckering)... This will test out the installation a bit, I reckon... The damn thing sounds like a C160
prop when the wind hits a decent rate!!

I have just ordered another 2x 638 batteries to parallel onto the existing two, the system uses a 24VDC buss... That will allow me to disconnect 2x batteries at a time, or 2 + 2, as and when I need to, to use them in the farming toys, but still have them for added reserve when they are not running mowers, augers and bush cutters etc...

I am currently pondering the easiest way to integrate this mess of cabling and fan into the household wiring, the inverter I have on hand is non-grid-tie, so an interesting solution is being thought up... What I am looking to do, is to stick this inverter onto the "Server/DVR/Pabx/Alarm" household circuit, dedicating it to that (it has a nominal 24/7 300W draw), but, as always, the wind is not a "reliable source" for energy... At some stage its going to fall short (pretty soon too, I would think!)...

My idea is pretty simple... Stick a 24VDC intelligent charger onto the batteries that can hold around 20A max... Turn the charge voltage down a wee bit (By adding a couple of heavy duty diodes in the line to the battery to drop the voltage) and let it idle along, only coming into play when the BJ drops a bit and is not making enough for the output draw... This takes care of the incoming side to the batteries quite well, I would think! The outgoing side is easy... one by 500W true sine wave inverter, directly coupled to the required plug circuit, and Bob's your uncle... (Or was it Aunty? Has he been for that op yet?)

Any of you bright lads done similar maybe?

Aaaaah.... A lull in the wind.... It's suddenly gone extremely quiet.. Scary!!

At the moment out data/telephone lines are down, giving me a chance to catch up you lads on the things happening in darkest Afrique...(Typing this "offline" to be updated later.)

On a slightly different note, the oil burner/heat exchanger that I made up seems to be running quite well.. The only problem that has really been experienced is that, as it's middle of winter and evening temperatures are "brisk" (Right down to about 10C at night, eat your heart out you chilly buggers in the rest of the world!), the WMO in the tanks tends to thicken a bit, causing a few minor problems with the gravity return lines, a problem soon to be remedied by installing the largest rubber hoses I can get cheaply! Consumption of fuel looks to be in the order of between 3 to 5L per day, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, depending on how cold the users are and how long they sterilize themselves in the wash bays!!

Combustion through the burner, once warmed up, yields only a slightly visible grey smoke, more evident at night in the cold air, leading me to believe that most of the output is water vapour...

One minor change I have made to the burner set is the addition of a stainless steel "swirler" in the fire tube - Once up and running, glowing a nice yellow, any vaporized oil hitting it, combusts immediately, and this seems to have evened out the burn quite nicely. I have found though, adding a bit of distillate thinning to the WMO 90W gunk, makes a huge difference to flowability, combustibility and carbon output... I am currently running about 2L distillate to 5L gunk for a reliable output... This is quite high, but until I can get a thicker return line on the burner, I will have to stick to it.. No matter, I can distill 2L in an hour of running the Crackernator (Thanks for the name, Glort), and I still have a couple of hundred liters batched up anyway...

On the Lister front, TM1 is still sitting there sans head, head on the workbench,
ready to be assembled and pressed back into service....

Right, Enough rambling...

Keep it spinning, cooking, blowing and.....

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 03, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
Hey Glort,

The bushcutters I have are:
40" - Tractor pulled - 80hp Gearbox on it so its a little big for a Fergie 35 GoldBelly
72" - 3 Blade - Yazoo Mower, powered by a Wisconsin twin inline at around a guess of 25Hp
Brush Cutters are small, 80cc 2 stroke ?Marijama? and a no name of about 40cc... My 2xStihl 38's got "liberated" a few years back....bastards!!

The alternator is a 3Ph 24v direct drive unit on the BJG, it's a Chinesium thing, purpose built... Pushes about 20 to 30 A in a good blow (Like yesterday)...  Looks like it does it around 1000RPM (or more) or so, but I wasn't prepared to go piss with it in the gales we were having... I was "apprehensive" during the period, I have great respect (and fear) of 100+ MPH scythes 1.1m long....

I will feed a single circuit on the household ultimately... Use the original circuit to power a 24v battery charger which will be able to keep the batteries just above low threshold and then hook the inverter and wind charger to the batteries too... The output from the inverter will then feed the kit that was originally powered by that single circuit... Nice thing about this circuit, is that it is a constant draw not exceeding 400W .... The inverter can power it easily, and it should make a nice "wind dent" in the power bill over a reasonable time....

Good luck with the WMO burner... This creature I have set up changes the rules quite "interestingly" from batch to batch of WMO that I am fuelling with... (or fooling with...)... The damn thing loves to piss me around in the evening, it loves attention, but I am now on a grudge match with it - I WILL make it do what I want...!

To that end, I installed a small extension of around 6" between the burner proper and the auxilliary air inlet before the heatex - this allows for any goop to vaporise and recombust just past the air inlet...

Keep it Spinning....

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 06, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
Hey Guys,

A small report back...

After the small extension to the burner tube had been installed, the difference was "night and day"... Reliability has increased dramatically, quality of burn has improved no end and flame-outs have been reduced substantially... It is also way less sensitive to air/fuel mixture ratio, with a much wider adjustment range now...

A further small addition to it subsequently, is the adding of a 3" Gate valve on the bottom of the "chimney riser"  -  The burner enters the final riser on TM1's exhaust from the side at about a 22 degree upward angle, around 12" above the inlet from the lister's inlet. Previously, the exhaust entered via an elbow, this has now been changed to a T, with the lister entering from the left and I have installed the gate valve below this allowing me to regulate "stack bypass draught" to clean up stack emissions during cold starts and thick fuel goop.... Once everything is up to temperature from cold (it takes a bit of fuel mixture juggling to keep it clean while its warming up), the bypass draught can be closed virtually completely and the final mixture trimmed for an absolutely clear exhaust emission. A further advantage of the bypass adjuster, is the ability to overfuel the burner, encouraging controlled burning in the stack to decarbon the whole works without creating a smog bank!

Enough rambling....

Keep it flaming....

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 10, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »
Hey Guys...

Right, post#1 - The BJG (Blow Job Gennie) is, at current altitude, a waste of time... It is currently mounted on a mast about 5m tall, amongst Workshop, House and Office prefabs. The topography, if that's the right word, doesn't allow it to get a 360 degree blow.. There are "avenues" of wind available, but the restrictions of the building roofs are just a bit much... Couple this to the fact that this property was chosen because of its peculiar wind characteristics (Being on the dead center of a lowish almost "dome" shaped hill, there is very little low altitude surface wind due to the slope deflecting it... It causes an updraft/low pressure cell under medium low wind conditions). This choice was for playing around with my radio towers/tracking dishes and for flying model heli's amidst all the other nonsense I get up to...

So, the long and the short of it is.... raise the altitude by a few meters to see if I can get a better yield... (6m of 3"pipe on order, I will remove the lower 2.5m section of mast and replace it with a 6, giving about 8.5 to 9m to rotor center....).... More on this later....

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 10, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »
Hey Guys...

Right, post#2 - Somewhere around this site I commented on a drip fed burner that I was thinking about, self regulating, easy, virtually spill-proof etc etc etc..

I have been collecting parts for it while pissing around with the other projects, but the one part I have been most keen on "finding", was a valve to regulate the drip flow to the burner proper, that could be "gravity" or weight activated...

For those that didn't see the previous thread, a basic explanation is as follows...

Low pressure, gravity fed oil is fed to a "control/regulator" valve.
This oil, after passing through the valve, is dripped into a small cup shaped container in the burner chamber.
As the cup fills, the increased weight of the cup, via a balance bar, closes off the valve to maintain its level.
Light the oil in the cup, as it is consumed, the cup gets lighter and the valve opens to allow more oil in...
When the cup is carboned up, the oil flow stops due to the carbon deposit weight, burner runs out of oil, flames out. Remove carbon cake and start again...

Now, the most daunting factor for most people is this wee little control valve... Well, Eureka! I stumbled across just what was needed while replacing the mains lead on my compressor last night...

The unloader valve on the pressure controlled motor switch is EXACTLY what this little burner requires. Seeing that the electric motor on my compressor has way more than enough starting torque to get things going, I have never coupled up the unloader valve anyway... so... it was "retasked" and placed in the little pile of bits I am accumulating for the gravity fed drip burner...

Note: For those who don't know what an unloader valve is - This is a small air valve that discharges the air pressure from the air piping between the air compressor head and the tank. It is activated/deactivated mechanically by a tab on the pressure switch of some compressors, or centrifugally by the crankshaft on the larger ones. When activated, it allows the compressor motor to start much "easier" due to a lower head pressure.....

Enough Rambling...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 10, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
Glort....

I have an old EOS450 with macro/tele lenses, ring and remote flashes, bipods, monopods, tripods et al.... Will that do?

I'll take the photies, send you the memcard, you resize, and photoshop them, send memcard back and I will post the pics to the thread...

Might take a week or two between sessions, but what'ya think?

Lol
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 10, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
Smart arse!!

Ok ... you got me snookered now!

Lol
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:25 PM »
Hey Guys...

Another small bit of Listerambling this eve...

Over the past few days I have been going over, sorting and repairing the little v twin Aeraspray compressor I picked up for a song... Now I know why too.... It managed to ingest its inlet valve poppet springs some time in the distant past... the cylinders are, shall we say "questionable" on the one, whilst the other is "reasonable" .... No matter, it should be ok for what i am going to put it through...

Every bit and piece I have checked over so far, it was a "full" electric powered belt driven unit with tank etc, has needed more than a coat of paint to get basically serviceable... So far I have redone the valves, sorted the unloader pots, honed one cylinder to take out the worst of the ploughlines, made and fitted a dipstick, made new diaphragms for the unloaders, made a new spindle and adjuster for one unloader that was snapped, sorted, stripped, made new diaphragm for the unloader control valve, made new sealing disks for it too(damn, old tractor rear tubes are handy things), stripped, machined corroded surfaces on the water trap(a lovely aluminium, finned unit) and reassembled all of the above and tested...

Next job is to strip, clean, service and make parts and seals for the pressure regulator... judging by the stuff done so far, I thunk it will be a right PITA too...

After that, I think I will make up a long thin air receiver about 2m x 75mm dia and fit it down the one side of Tm1's chassis.... That should be enough for me to play about with I reckon...

As you probably gather, this little bj is gonna be diesel powered! I will belt it to the alternator, using the alternator as a lay shaft, there is enough space for the v-bj to sit far side of the bangy bits ....

Aah... just remembered, picked up a couple of 255w panels yesterday to muck around with, got them brand new... USD about 0.30 / watt.... Quite chuffed about that... Hooked one up to the bj gennie controller and  around midday today it was pushing about 10A with a bit of light cloud around as well... Now to try and find a decently priced grid tie inverter of about 5kw to start building up a usable array.... Suggestions welcome re a reliable, reasonably priced source....

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 19, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »
Hey Guys....

Glort, you are a swine!! All of your buggering about with solar panels and inverters has been infectious!!

I have now, in my workshop under test, a 5Kw "Axpert" solar/mains inverter... The panels arrive hopefully today, 12x 335W units, which will, hopefully, soon adorn the IBR roof of my toyroom workshop...

In the driveway are 20 lengths of 25x25x3mm 6m long lengths of stainless steel angle... These will go to framing the 4 strings of three panels each (which make up the basic array) to allow for seasonal tilting....

On the front of the workshop, one of two frames has already been constructed and hung, to allow for the smaller 255W panels... One of which will be connected full time to the BJ Gennie combo, the other I am planning to use for forming some batteries if I get round to it...

Right, aches and pains aside (plus a small bit of tig sunburn from last night), I need to go throw some S/Steel into the sky to get the 255W panels out of harm's way while I build the bigger 3m x 2m frames.......

L8rs...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 19, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
Hey Glort...

A quick point for point answer... I'm buggered and I need a beer...BADLY!!

Stainless is sh!t expensive here, but works out the same to fabricate yourself in comparison to buying good quality Ali racks...

I will be roof mounting this stuff, on a roof that is slightly, about 10 degrees off N/S but S facing... I will be making frames to cater for the reverse slope to give the panels positive 33degrees north slope... (Good Spring/Summer/Autumn, a bit crappy for Winter)

The panels are brand new, ex factory... I figured with a 10year guarantee to 90% of capacity it would be worth it...

They are going to be in 4 strings of 3 panels each, my inverter MPPT is "tuned" to that voltage...

No spinny meter, it a "pay as you go" prepaid POS, but I wont be back feeding with this as yet....

Agreed re the experimentation... I might make a "wax motor" to rotate a bank or two later.... Let's see how hooked I get!

No major pics as yet, but here are the toy panels I have put up in the meantime to test out my TiG welding and get back into the swing of stainless work... Use it or lose it!!

The IBR roof in the background below the blow gennie (which gets raised another 3m tomorrow if the pipe arrives)
is going to be the base for the new array... The LDV has the pile of panels, all shiny and new, as yet unloaded...

Keep it shining....

Cheers
Ed

Edit... The pile of Stainless angle section amounts to just under ZAR10K.... Its defs not cheap here either!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:13:21 PM by EdDee »