Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 289655 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #555 on: May 19, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »

"How to run a lathe.  January 1928"

Love it! Thank you for the link! I love old books like that and I'm sure everything in it is just as relevant today as it were back then.
I have emailed the PDF to the Mrs at work so she can print it out on her fancy Collating Photcopier and tonight I should have a nice book of it.
I have a binder myself  so I'll put it together and have it for ongoing reference.

Thanks again. Score of the day!

Since I have a 1927 South Bend lathe this guide is perfect. I've actually done a bit of production work on it lately. Been using a M2 turret adapter in the tail stock. Lots of sharp things to impale ones self with there.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
Hey Guys,

Interesting view of the "improvised" eye protection bucket - Having worked in the distant past for an abrasives company, the direction of cut vs rotation was not recommended.... If sh!t happens, you want the blade to climb itself out of the work piece not dig itself in deeper and snatch...

On another slightly different note, I have seen a couple of times before, particularly in the "less informed" areas, where chaps are doing welding jobs, no helmet, simply using a brown/green bottle held in front of the eyes with the free hand to do the job.... When I asked the one guy "Why?"....Answer... Its a small weld and the helmet is way over theeeere in the toolbox.....

This weekend I got quite a bit done on the toy I am making (Belt Grinder)... Motor mounted, pulleys aligned, VR pulley set up and tested, tensioner made.... Hey, its a non-electronic analogue VFD... Frequency of input shaft constant, output shaft frequency variable!!

Enough rambling... Time to finish the book work and go mount the belt tensioner....

Keep it spinning....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 22, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
WTF?

How are you holding the front two pulleys/belt rollers up? Antigravity? Can't see anything between them, or going back to the machine, except the belt...

Speaking of lunatic welders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAplLEjTriE

Enjoy!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 22, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
Hi Ade,

Look carefully in that pic of the front rollers... Just behind the belt is a 40x8mm flat bar support for them... Kinda blends in with the crap on the workbench!!

Its not antigravity.... Its my "Replatron Ray".... Thanks Mr Swift!!

Lol

Wonder what he's using for the step-down....if any?

Looks a bit like a ballast from a neon fitting....

Cheers
E
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
Hey Ade,

Here are a couple more pics of the grinder (Just realised....Its a dual input machine... Utility or Lister powered!!... See, its a Lister topic after all!!).

Last night I put in a couple of hours doing fiddly bits on it, belt backing and work rest to be precise...

You mentioned lunatic welders in a previous post, well, I wish I had a camera over the welding bench yesterday...

This was "Comedy Central" on another level... I first managed to scald my fingers with the arc flame, then when hanging the handle of the rod holder on the nearest convenient projection, I managed to contact the spring on the variable pulley with the tip of the rod, effectively stuffing the spring up, I then grabbed it and hung it on the edge of the bench, where it then found my scribe and burnt the tip off... Grabbed it again and hung it further down the bench, turned round to stick the still smoking fingernails into a bucket of water and bumped the lead to the welder... It then proceeded to weld a stripe across the handles of a set of tin-snips, I spun round, and in grabbing it, manged to scald my other hand slightly on the now "warm" equipment on the bench.... Which turned out to be a 500mm stainless ruler/straight edge that had somehow got involved with the "earthing saga"..... I ended up tossing the electrode on the floor, tripping up on the cables, and plunging both hands into the cold water... The entire time there was a haze of deep blue language tinting the arc laden air.... Ending with a sigh of pleasure as I got the fingertips cooled..... The entire episode lasted about about 5 seconds, no major damage done, just the ego..... At this point, I figured the best first aid would be holding on to an ice cold beverage of choice, which duly ensued.....

Some half hour later, I managed to drag myself to the lathe and continue machining the crown on a pulley I started earlier on in the day... I then lost the chuck key while working... Searched for it for 20min and found it in plain sight where I had put it..... Another beverage was needed to calm the nerves....

Another half hour later, I actually got the bits done that I intended.... All in all...2 hours of stuffing around and 1/2 an hour constructive!!

I think my workshop hates me.....

Keep on funning!!

Cheers
Ed

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
There is a middle and practical ground between the extremes of no regard for safety and being so safety conscious to the point of being impractical  or actually causing a hazard.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:17 PM »
Hey Guys....

So true... Of all the things I've lost.... I miss my mind the most!!

Glort: If you do end up chasing the jackhammer around the place.... Remember: What happens on DVR, Stays on Youtube!! (I wanna see it!!)

B&D: If only those of little wit and wisdom could see that!! Rules are to be followed, true, but believe me, any rule is or should be a guideline from those of experience and knowledge to those of lesser.... So often, rules are taken to the extreme as we have all seen, with little regard to the spirit/actual meaning of the rule... Lawyers twist them, others bolster them and eventually you have the good old story of "I present unto you the apple, wholly not excluding pith, including flesh, pips and skin, for you to do with as you see fit with, whether to dispose of, consume or bequeath to another..." .... Instead of just saying... "Here's an apple...Do what you want with it.."

Sometimes the middle of the road isn't quite as easy to see for some as we would all hope!! (Even during the middle of the day with high beams on!)

Keep on chuckling...

Cheers
Ed

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 24, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »
  I work in the nuclear industry. You should see the rules that workers have to follow , that the managers and engineers have imagined to protect the paper pushers from liability.   

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:35 AM »
Many years as a hobby welder and I also have had several mishaps with an electrode in the electrode holder.  Recently I was watching youtube videos attempting to improve my welding, and I noticed the weldor always removed the electrode from the holder prior to setting the holder down.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but I've started doing it and found it was much easier than I expected, and much less prone to disasters.  I thought it would be a hassle, but having done it a few times I find myself wondering why I didn't learn that years ago.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 25, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
Hey Guys,

Good tip regarding removing the electrode - Particularly handy if you are well set up and doing a fair amount... Tried it last night and while it worked 50% of the time for me, it became a bit of a chore whilst working alone and tacking up the job prior to doing the main welding itself...

I actually made some progress last night on the little beast... Managed to get the speed control/variable belt tensioner not only made, but fitted as well... Works a treat too... Had a good few laughs while I was at it... Every now and then I needed to sand down and round the odd corner for aesthetics... Found myself plugging in the machine and staring at a spinning motor with no belt on, thinking "What an Idiot!!" .... cant use the machine to make its own parts while its half stripped down!!

But...Nuff sed!!

Here's a couple of pics of the tensioner in a few positions/ratios showing how its set up to work...

Cheers
Ed

PS: Ade, and all you other admins that have put the forum together - The inclusion of attachments is AWESOME!!! Thank you!!!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
Hey Guys...

While on the subject of grinders....

This project is almost complete (Grinder), just the drive belt guard, buffing attachment, motor cover with switch and a few minor odds and ends to do....and paint..... Then I can climb in and re-ring the roid...

I am pretty sure the piston is worn to buggery, was thinking of  laying down a bit of ali with the TiG to build it up and then machine it to fit the bore.... Haven't done that in years! Last one I rebuilt was on a Honda 1000/6 that kept eating cyl 2 or 3's piston...

Anybody done similar lately?

Cheers
Ed

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 07, 2017, 01:11:22 AM »
I had my worst accident lately by wearing a pair of "crocs" on a wet porch and steps. I walked out the door with steaks in a tupperware bowl....and then I was lying on the steps and stone landing with the steaks beside me, still upright! I evidently kicked the grill 'way out in the yard, it's still there as I'm still mad at it.  I felt like a cartoon, you know how when they step on a banana peel and  rise in the air until they are at a level equal to their height, all the while attaining a completely horizontal position  then fall? That was me. The Doc says 800mg Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers for a while and I'll live.
  I also did the carb adjustment on a stump on a running chainsaw, only cost me a big notch outta my  big toe. :-\
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 07, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
Hmmmmm....

We got some real heavy weather, storms and wind forecast for the next 24hrs+.... I might have to change my postal code if the "earth moves for me"...

Cape Town has had a fairly heavy time, the wind and storms have been lighter in PE from what I have heard, but don't actually know how hard they are being/were hit yet.... The winds are picking up here already, gusting about 40 to 60km per hour... The temp is over 30C and it seems like there is a major front on the way... Been on this property for about 25 years or so and this is the strangest weather I have encountered so far... Really weird!

For some reason, due to the topology of the property, I can have hi winds and thunderstorms with heavy rain... Yet the neighbors, a scant 5-800m away, have no rain or winds... Vice-versa too.... My residence is smack bang on the top of a small rise/hill, pretty much natural vegetation on 3 sides sloping into small valleys, all the nearby places are slightly lower than here... Looks like I will have a bird's eye view of things to come!!

Hold thumbs guys!!

Cheers
Ed

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 19, 2017, 06:49:10 AM »
I hope you don't get tornadoes or the equivalent thereof "down under"! It sorta sounded like pre-tornadic weather you were describing. They can make for a very tense time and extended cleanup, not to mention the cost of replacing all your "stuff" if you survive the main event.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous