Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 60497 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #645 on: May 19, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
The silliest "over the top" H&S story that happened to me is tame by comparison - one of our clients has a TV screen mounted about 8ft up a wall. Behind it is a mini-PC device, about the size of a paperback book. I need to re-set this, but to reach it I need to go up a ladder. Now... when I say "up a ladder", what I mean is up 3-4 steps of one of those fold-out stepladders.

Oh, no, can't let you do that, unless you've got:
 - A valid "working at height" certificate (basically a piece of paper telling them I know how a ladder works!!
 - Hard hat
 - Hi-viz jacket
 - Steel toe-caps
 - A couple of hi-viz cones to prevent others from entering the "work area".

FFS. I'm a computer programmer. I haven't got any of that shit. I tell them if they can hang on a bit, I've got an orange flashing light (the type you stick on a van roof with a magnet), I can strap it to my head if that helps. And there's loads of traffic cones out on the motorway, I'll nick a couple of them... They were not amused. I told them if I could stand on a chair instead... they politely suggested I leave site & they'd sort it. Oh well, gave me time to have a nice cup of coffee on the way home...

Any H&S type would have had kittens if they'd seen me a few weeks back, 20ft up a rickety wooden ladder taking a security camera off my old workshop. It scared the bejeezus out of me too, the ladder is only about a foot wide, wooden sides & rungs with rusty steel supports (which, thanks to the rust, are probably weaker than the rungs), it wobbles all over the place. Got the job done though, and I hardly died at all. Scariest time was a few years back, I had to re-route a 440v cable from one end of a warehouse to the other (it went up in the middle, and turned left... I needed it to turn right). Same rickety wooden ladder, only this time it had its equally rickety extension piece attached as well, 30ft above some very pointy looking things on the floor, that could have been very nasty if I'd fallen off.

Dunno about you, though, I find that if the danger level is high enough, I take WAAAY more care and pay lots more attention to what I'm doing, than if it's "easy peasy".

IMHO - H&S, or OH&S or OSHA or whatever your regional brand is called, is basically attempting to legislate for common sense, then enforcing it with zealots who have no common sense themselves... I was watching one of the "Making of Dr Who" episodes a while back, so imagine a large cast & crew all wandering about the site location (a school yard IIRC), 2 people wearing hard-hats and hi-viz... yep, the H&S reps. They were also the ones fretting about making the monsters "too scary". FFS. It's Dr Who. The kids are supposed to be crying behind the sofa!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
1x Lister JP4 :D
Back in the UK :) Just need to find a use for the JP now!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 19, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »
Reminds me of a couple of years ago....and I have pictures to prove (most of) it....

We were donated a pile of 13m long poles to use at my paintball range for putting up spotlights for night games (Bad idea BTW, they lasted about a month before they were stolen, cables and all....just the wooden poles remained...the second lost didn't even see a month before they walked too....But I digress...)

Anyways, the time comes after augering and sinking them in about 1m deep into hard clay/shale to string the lights and cables up... No problem, I grab my climbing spikes and shimmy up to the top of the first couple of poles no problem... Then the wind picks up quite badly, gusting about 60km/h or so, and here I am with about 6 poles left to do.... No problem, keep going, only problem is that the damn wind keeps blowing my hammer and tools out of my work vest that I am wearing.... Stuffit, enough is enough, after catching the hammer for the umpteenth time as it tries to go into orbit, I get down and take a look around.... Everybody on the ground is green/white/just about puking - Apparently the top of the pole I was residing at was swaying about 2m each way with every gust - It didn't worry me a bit... But poor old Baz, a mate of mine, who will take on anything except a syringe needle, a spider or a climb above 3ft  was in a really bad way....he was almost comatose from stress after seeing what I was doing....

My reasoning? A climb up to about 3m is dangerous....Fall and you get badly injured or maimed.....Above that - You're dead... Someone else's problem!!

But seriously though, I have done the odd bit of comms cabling on the outside of some pretty tall buildings, antenna tower and high site work and its strange - That doesn't worry me in the least... But stand on a 2m high ladder perched on a slippery floor to change a light bulb... That scares the cr@p outta me!!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Tom

• Green is good and this is the new Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »

"How to run a lathe.  January 1928"

Love it! Thank you for the link! I love old books like that and I'm sure everything in it is just as relevant today as it were back then.
I have emailed the PDF to the Mrs at work so she can print it out on her fancy Collating Photcopier and tonight I should have a nice book of it.
I have a binder myself  so I'll put it together and have it for ongoing reference.

Thanks again. Score of the day!

Since I have a 1927 South Bend lathe this guide is perfect. I've actually done a bit of production work on it lately. Been using a M2 turret adapter in the tail stock. Lots of sharp things to impale ones self with there.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 2k hours.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 20, 2017, 03:07:47 AM »
The silliest "over the top" H&S story that happened to me is tame by comparison - one of our clients has a TV screen mounted about 8ft up a wall. Behind it is a mini-PC device, about the size of a paperback book. I need to re-set this, but to reach it I need to go up a ladder. Now... when I say "up a ladder", what I mean is up 3-4 steps of one of those fold-out stepladders.

Oh, no, can't let you do that, unless you've got:
 - A valid "working at height" certificate (basically a piece of paper telling them I know how a ladder works!!
 - Hard hat
 - Hi-viz jacket
 - Steel toe-caps
 - A couple of hi-viz cones to prevent others from entering the "work area".

I don't know about tame but that was a pretty good example of how all this safety stuff goes Nuts.  No common sense or Logic applied, just a hard set of rules they are programmed to because the people insisting on them almost always have zero practical experience in nailing two bits of wood together or anything else.
These are the same saftey Sissys that go into orbit when they see me do something, anything, without gloves on like that's going to make a difference when I'm using a 50 ton log splitter or a chainsaw.

A mate of mine does AC. He was telling me a while back how every time He has to do a quote in a commercial or industrial premises, despite being over qualified with all his saftey cards, licenses and insurances for what he does, he still has to do these long winded safety inductions before they let him much past the front gate.  He says often the induction can be over an hour by the time they go find the person to do it or they come back from lunch or whatever and he fills in all the paper work and listens to the same thing he has heard 1000 times before and is actually qualified in himself to do for his own company.  He says it's not uncommon to then proceed to the job, spend 10 Min and he's done.

When he is asked to quote now he tells them all his safety qualifications and asks if he will have to do a site induction before looking at the job?  If they say yes, he tells them it's a minimum $200 quote fee.  He say's he doesn't loose many although he often wishes he would.
There was one building group that was getting him to do various maintenance work at their different sites that insisted he do an induction every day he was on site because he was not an employee of the company. Got stupid when he had a fortnights work there.
 He rang his contact and said you need to let them know I'm familiar with your site induction and not to waste my time and your money every time I walk  onto the same site.  Guy said no, that's company policy, we'll pay your time for each one you do no problem.

Dunno about you, though, I find that if the danger level is high enough, I take WAAAY more care and pay lots more attention to what I'm doing, than if it's "easy peasy".

That is EXACTLY what I do.
I'll give myself this much, I am good with stopping, looking around and trying to figure what potential problems there may be. I try to think, If this goes tits up, what's going to happen, where am I going to fall, what am I going to trip over, get caught in, BBQ myself on etc... Not saying I see all the dangers, but minor problems I do have are something I would have never forseen and neither would anyone else.

For me it's not the rickety ladder that you know is a risk when you start that gets me, it's twisting my ankle by stepping in a hole in the lawn the dog dug and the grass is now covering while putting said ladder away after completing the job without single problem and ending on my face with the now broken ladder now harpooning me through my backside. That would be the sort of accident I'd have.
Forget about the rickety ladder or playing with a live wire up there that would be predictable, foreseeable and stupid that I was doing it in the first place, No, my accidents are the ones that you never see and not even the most overzealous saftey sissy would whine about.  And if they did, the PPE I Wasn't wearing would not have done me a scrap of good anyway.

IMHO - H&S, or OH&S or OSHA or whatever your regional brand is called, is basically attempting to legislate for common sense, then enforcing it with zealots who have no common sense themselves...

Yeah, I agree.

Usually the appointed enforcers have no clue as to the work, any work, being performed.  Same as your experience.... Ladder = over the top and ridiculous measures for the simplest of things. They don't know any better and go into instant disaster potential mode.

They just don't get that some people can do reasonable things and never have a problem and others will always create a disaster no matter what ridiculous precautions are taken.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #649 on: May 20, 2017, 05:48:55 AM »
Safety helmet [check]

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 22, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
Hey Guys,

Interesting view of the "improvised" eye protection bucket - Having worked in the distant past for an abrasives company, the direction of cut vs rotation was not recommended.... If sh!t happens, you want the blade to climb itself out of the work piece not dig itself in deeper and snatch...

On another slightly different note, I have seen a couple of times before, particularly in the "less informed" areas, where chaps are doing welding jobs, no helmet, simply using a brown/green bottle held in front of the eyes with the free hand to do the job.... When I asked the one guy "Why?"....Answer... Its a small weld and the helmet is way over theeeere in the toolbox.....

This weekend I got quite a bit done on the toy I am making (Belt Grinder)... Motor mounted, pulleys aligned, VR pulley set up and tested, tensioner made.... Hey, its a non-electronic analogue VFD... Frequency of input shaft constant, output shaft frequency variable!!

Enough rambling... Time to finish the book work and go mount the belt tensioner....

Keep it spinning....

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
WTF?

How are you holding the front two pulleys/belt rollers up? Antigravity? Can't see anything between them, or going back to the machine, except the belt...

Speaking of lunatic welders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAplLEjTriE

Enjoy!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
1x Lister JP4 :D
Back in the UK :) Just need to find a use for the JP now!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 22, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
Hi Ade,

Look carefully in that pic of the front rollers... Just behind the belt is a 40x8mm flat bar support for them... Kinda blends in with the crap on the workbench!!

Its not antigravity.... Its my "Replatron Ray".... Thanks Mr Swift!!

Lol

Wonder what he's using for the step-down....if any?

Looks a bit like a ballast from a neon fitting....

Cheers
E

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 23, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
Hey Ade,

Here are a couple more pics of the grinder (Just realised....Its a dual input machine... Utility or Lister powered!!... See, its a Lister topic after all!!).

Last night I put in a couple of hours doing fiddly bits on it, belt backing and work rest to be precise...

You mentioned lunatic welders in a previous post, well, I wish I had a camera over the welding bench yesterday...

This was "Comedy Central" on another level... I first managed to scald my fingers with the arc flame, then when hanging the handle of the rod holder on the nearest convenient projection, I managed to contact the spring on the variable pulley with the tip of the rod, effectively stuffing the spring up, I then grabbed it and hung it on the edge of the bench, where it then found my scribe and burnt the tip off... Grabbed it again and hung it further down the bench, turned round to stick the still smoking fingernails into a bucket of water and bumped the lead to the welder... It then proceeded to weld a stripe across the handles of a set of tin-snips, I spun round, and in grabbing it, manged to scald my other hand slightly on the now "warm" equipment on the bench.... Which turned out to be a 500mm stainless ruler/straight edge that had somehow got involved with the "earthing saga"..... I ended up tossing the electrode on the floor, tripping up on the cables, and plunging both hands into the cold water... The entire time there was a haze of deep blue language tinting the arc laden air.... Ending with a sigh of pleasure as I got the fingertips cooled..... The entire episode lasted about about 5 seconds, no major damage done, just the ego..... At this point, I figured the best first aid would be holding on to an ice cold beverage of choice, which duly ensued.....

Some half hour later, I managed to drag myself to the lathe and continue machining the crown on a pulley I started earlier on in the day... I then lost the chuck key while working... Searched for it for 20min and found it in plain sight where I had put it..... Another beverage was needed to calm the nerves....

Another half hour later, I actually got the bits done that I intended.... All in all...2 hours of stuffing around and 1/2 an hour constructive!!

I think my workshop hates me.....

Keep on funning!!

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 23, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
I then lost the chuck key while working... Searched for it for 20min and found it in plain sight where I had put it...

Glad I'm not the only one.
Sometimes I do that so much I have serious concern's if my mental faculties are leaving me because my eyesight hasn't gone that much.  Sometimes I have to tell myself to really consider what I am seeing because I just cannot recognise what is right in front of me in plain view.  I have even done it with people I know well which is both embarrassing and worry's me as to what the hell is going on in my head.

And also like you, I never cease to be astonished at how a small, simple job can turn into a couple of hours because you can't find the tool/ fastener/ object/ thing you want or need that you had specifically in mind. This is made worse if you saw/ had the thing recently because for me I can always locate what I haven't thought about in a year quickly and easily but if I had it recently and know it's on top of the shit pile, no way am I going to find that thing without extreme frustration and launching heavy objects at walls or down the yard.

That said, I remember stripping apart this photo print processor I had which I needed to do to clean properly. there were many shafts, rods and rollers that had to go back onto two end plates all at once. I persevered with stupid patience really for about 4 hours trying to think calm thoughts, always being so close right before the thing collapsed into a pile where I'd need to start again. Obviously the thing needed a Jig of some sort but this was many years ago and I was more stupid then than I am now and didn't even think of that when I pulled it apart.
Finally I snapped and hurled this Multi KG arrangement at the wall putting a good size hole in the wall and making the thing crash back to the floor.

As I at there doubly mad at myself for being such a neanderthal, I was looking at the thing and said NO!
Sure enough, the thing had gone back perfectly into place. I could not believe it. I didn't know whether to hurl the thing onto cement this time in revenge at it laughing at me or to take a lottery ticket.

As I patched the wall the next day quite happily mind, the fact was not lost on me that had I done that in the first place, I'd have still been about 3 hours ahead on patching and re painting the section of damaged wall. One of those things of stupidity with the universe screwing and giving you the big finger I'll never forget.

I have been thinking about making one of these sanders ( like about 100 other projects)  for some time. I have seen the knife making guys use them and as I'd like to have a go at that before I die sometime in the next 125 years I'm going to need for all this, a belt grinder/ polisher etc would certainly be handy. They seem to make putting an edge on a knife real easy even for a Dilettante like me with the use if a simple jig or holder.  I notice a lot of the Japanese guys doing large knives use holders as well so can't be just for the twits like me.

I plan to cheat though. Subaru cam belt tentioners seem to be about the right size for the rollers and at worst I could weld a couple together then re insert the bearing and I can get a good supply of those things.  Cam belt tensioner would also be a good fit for the job. Plenty of electric motors I have collected too. Maybe I could cheat a bit more. Might just need some layers of Duct tape on the flywheels of the Roid to get them to the right diameter, push the belt straight on and I'd have a great belt grinder and simple too.  :0)

Chasing mine round the workshop till it punched a hole in the wall and then following it down the driveway and along the road might get the neighbors a bit curious though.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 23, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »
There is a middle and practical ground between the extremes of no regard for safety and being so safety conscious to the point of being impractical  or actually causing a hazard.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 23, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Hey Guys....

So true... Of all the things I've lost.... I miss my mind the most!!

Glort: If you do end up chasing the jackhammer around the place.... Remember: What happens on DVR, Stays on Youtube!! (I wanna see it!!)

B&D: If only those of little wit and wisdom could see that!! Rules are to be followed, true, but believe me, any rule is or should be a guideline from those of experience and knowledge to those of lesser.... So often, rules are taken to the extreme as we have all seen, with little regard to the spirit/actual meaning of the rule... Lawyers twist them, others bolster them and eventually you have the good old story of "I present unto you the apple, wholly not excluding pith, including flesh, pips and skin, for you to do with as you see fit with, whether to dispose of, consume or bequeath to another..." .... Instead of just saying... "Here's an apple...Do what you want with it.."

Sometimes the middle of the road isn't quite as easy to see for some as we would all hope!! (Even during the middle of the day with high beams on!)

Keep on chuckling...

Cheers
Ed

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 23, 2017, 11:48:19 PM »
  I work in the nuclear industry. You should see the rules that workers have to follow , that the managers and engineers have imagined to protect the paper pushers from liability.   

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 24, 2017, 01:38:35 AM »
Many years as a hobby welder and I also have had several mishaps with an electrode in the electrode holder.  Recently I was watching youtube videos attempting to improve my welding, and I noticed the weldor always removed the electrode from the holder prior to setting the holder down.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but I've started doing it and found it was much easier than I expected, and much less prone to disasters.  I thought it would be a hassle, but having done it a few times I find myself wondering why I didn't learn that years ago.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 24, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »
I noticed the weldor always removed the electrode from the holder prior to setting the holder down. 

I use a MIG. 
Problem solved.  :laugh: