Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 289553 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #285 on: February 03, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »
100 000 + hour engine anybody? http://www.wcaeaps.com/machining/ .... Enough said...
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:33 PM »

You missed all the fun with that guy !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 03, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »
Hey 32,

Don't worry... its a small world... word gets round...

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 04, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

Right, so some time ago, I installed a fuel line pre-heater wicking off heat from the CS plug to a brass bar, the injector line flowed into the bar and has a short stub connecting it to the injector inlet....

At the time, the "jury was deliberating" regarding the effectiveness of the heating of the fuel in the injector just prior to injection. The injector temp rose by some 20 to 30 degrees from previous with this thingus installed. Performance was found to vary... Effectivity has found to vary... Carbon and smoking after/during running has found to vary... Fuel consumption has been similar with little variance...

Now, bear in mind, the fuel I am using varies... does the pre-heater help? Possibly...? Does it make a marked difference and is it worthwhile for everybody? ... Probably not! (But it was a fun idea to play with!)

What I have found is that for general running, I semi disconnect it from its heat source and things work ok for me. If I get a difficult batch of gunk, sometimes, but not every time, if I reconnect the heat source it improves matters marginally.... Connecting and disconnecting the heat source is the difference between clamping the bar tightly to the CS plug or loosening it... Quick and easy...

It does add a variable to the box of tricks with burning sump gunk, so for me it is marginally worthwhile and sometimes does allow me to get through a difficult tankful without having to drain and re-blend...

Keep it spinning....

Regds
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
Thanks B&D,

Stuck away in your treasure trove of info, you don't perhaps have Bosch/Mico info too?

Cheerz
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
Hey Guys,

Here's an interesting one for you...well, it was a minor problem on my side anyway, and how I got around it....

On my cogen setup, the circ pump for hot water is powered by the engine itself, this is not coolant for the engine, but water heated by the exhaust exchangers mainly. The pump is electrical, running direct off the genhead. When the gen is shut down, the water stops circulating, and, hence, hot water pressure is minimal... Enough for a slow running sink, but not for showers etc.

To sort out this minor dilemma, I re-purposed a microwave timer - the el-cheapo "analogue twisty turny" one... This controls a relay to the hot water pump from within the house now.... If you want a shower and there is enough heat in the heat store, but the gen is off.... set to timer to 10 minutes and hit the showers, it switches the pump across to utility (or inverter) power for a short duration...

(A side benefit, if you connect your work light at the engine to the pump circuit, when you need to go outside in the dead of night to go start the beast or investigate a problem, no torches are needed!)

Keep it flowing....

Regds
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
Hi Guys,

More of 'The devil makes work for idle hands'.....

I haven't been too happy with the cc breather valve of late, possibly its my imagination, but I have seen a few minor oil seeps here and there since I cooked the big end bushing... Maybe they were there before, or maybe I am getting tired of shining the paintwork, but it pretty much boils down to me actually having a fun time trying to top off the oil every now and then... Since the starter motor was installed, the geography between engine and gen head has become a little over populated... The previous breather and extension tube was probably working OK, but it was a little short and just a tad small in diameter for easy pouring into... As usual, the old saying, 'go big or don't go' kicked in and I quickly knocked this filler/breather up out of some bitso shitso I had lying around... it is all pretty much repurposed, so don't laugh too loudly (I have sensitive hearing and can hear across oceans) .... The upright is 1.5" gate pipe, the valve is an old 1.5" non return valve with the spring return removed, the cover is an old brass basin outlet that has been looking for a useful purpose in life since retirement.... http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/TM1 CC Breather Mk2 20160205

Interestingly, the pipe length, coupled with the weight of the stopper in the valve, coupled with the resilience of the valve seat, coupled with the pipe diameter, coupled with the phase of the moon,Venus and the sun, added up to spot on the resonant frequency of the whole shebang... It is the first time I have heard an engine run with the breather pipe resonating and making more noise than the whole rest of the engine, exhaust included.... To stop this resonance, I first added a spring back into the valve, to no avail... I then threaded the guide on the valve inner and added a M6 nut to limit the opening of the aperture, this can be adjusted to hold the valve closed, or  adjusted to allow it to travel to wide open. At 750rpm, when the phase of the moon is just right of course, all I need is about 3 to 5 mm of opening to keep the crankcase nice and empty of air.... Resonance now gone! This is the first time in history that I have had to tune a crank breather... Exhaust and inlet manifolds... done plenty.... breather...just one!

Keep it tuning....

Regds
Ed

PS.... TM2's replacement flywheel arrives tomorrow... this will be interesting....

PPS... on another subject... way off track from the current train of thought... I recall seeing on my injector pump(Botch unit, 034) ...on the riveted on nameplate, it is marked  "9 deg BTDC"... Has anybody noticed this before? And if you have, what does this timing pertain to... any guesses? (Incidentally, TM2 has an identical pump, exact same markings....)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:05:37 PM by EdDee »

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
  I was under the impression that a lot of injection systems while built by different companies. They tend to build under license a same/similar known proven design instead of re-inventing the wheel.
  I'll do some more research.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
Thanks B&D,

Much appreciated!

What an interesting weekend it has been... (You do remember the ancient Chinese curse, of course) .....

TM2's replacement flywheel arrived yesterday, carefully stowed in the boot of a car, on soft mats, luxury transport for a large, almost 100kg lump of cast iron... It was shrink wrapped and I unsealed it myself, after personally unloading it... The outer surface looked beautiful, one of the best castings I have seen on the roids, way better than TM1's and way better than TM2's original flywheel. I strung it up on the hoist and put it onto the balancing axle... What a letdown it was.... The flywheel was transported and lying on its inner face when I unloaded it, hidden between Terra transport/firma was evidence of less than skilled removal from the donor roid.... It looks like someone has used a 4lb hammer and smacked the inner face of the flywheel to try and shift it from the crank... Pics here: http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/TM2 Replacement Flywheel 20160207

Now the dilemma... It still rings like a bell when tapped, although the rim is chipped and distorted in places by the hammer blows... It seems to be in reasonably good balance, there is little in the way of surface filler that is readily visible... but... should I accept it as is, dents and chips etc, or do I request a replacement that hasn't been abused by careless and negligent dismounting? (Or maybe I am just full of sh!t and I should just turn a blind eye)

Let's see what tomorrow brings, maybe my mood will improve and it will look better in the light of a new day...Lol...

Keep it spinning....

Regds
Ed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:38:14 PM by EdDee »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
Maddening situation, Ed.  I'd be ticked off, myself.  It would seem they had a gorilla with a hand sledge removing the flywheels.  Hopefully Gary or Butch can address the potential safety issue.

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2016, 10:53:18 PM »
Is it just me, I cant access the pics again...timeouts or bad DNS for http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private  >:(

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

Internet went down for a few hours this side.... Hence my servers off line... They are back up and running, but the lines are a bit dodgy at the mo' .... Apologies...

Regds
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 08, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
Hey Guys,

If kept, the minimum that would be required would be skimming of all rim faces, removal of outer coating, ultrasounding and magnaflux inspection. Way out of the budget....

Or.....

I have a 6000rpm electric motor here somewhere..... This could be a good one for Mythbusters....

Regds
Ed

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #299 on: February 08, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
I concur... due to the unknown character of Indian cast-iron and the hammering and cracking/spalling damages caused around that rim I would reject that one for safety concerns. Ringing the item is a very good test for cracks in a forging like a crankshaft, perhaps less so in that cast flywheel.

I would not trust it.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations