Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 291900 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I think I found my big end bearing! ... Its coated my oil strainer!

http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Bearing Deposits on Oil Strainer/

I Reckon I could almost make a new one out of the recovered debris! The strainer you see in the picture is about 1/4 the mesh size of the original POS... I think it did a good job of clearing out the chaff in the dying minutes of running... there was no debris found in either main bearing found... The filter originates from a hydraulic power pack I had lying around, in fact the tank of which has been repurposed as a day tank for TM1....The strainer only just fits into the apron, and gets screwed onto the pickup from the inside... once in place, it has about an inch of oil above it and with the corrugated sides, oil flowing over the top, catches any debris before it hits the lower reaches of the sump... when you drain oil, the debris can be clearly seen, giving an indicator of the extent of the cleanup and mopping that is required...

For you gents who are not familiar with the centrifugal oil feed for the big end, here are a few pics to show its placing and basic construction in relation to the journal end.. http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Crank Oil Catcher/ ... Simple, but effective...

Now... I should be running the TM... but I am awaiting the replacement spares... this is a dangerous thing... the devil makes work for idle hands... and minds!

Has anybody out there played with synchronized generators before.... I did it way back and I am considering doing it again... I have 3 basic choices to play with... picture this.... 2 identical 12hp roids... 2 gen heads that are almost Identical ... one Petter PH1 in reasonable condition.. quite a few single and 3 phase induction motors that can be driven by the Petter or one roid to act as an inductive genhead supplementing the prime mover for peaks... or,.... make up 2 primes, one as a fallback.... or.... one prime on a gen head, with the other prime down rated further as a synchro with the gen head, one prime running bulk of the load, second brought online for extra heavy loads, this second capable of overnight running on its own to sustain the household and servers to run minimal loads, with the Petter available purely as a 'booster'  inductive gen incapable of solo running, but there to boost either of the other two should the need arise...

So many choices! And..... so much fun! Wonder what I am going to blow up tomorrow........?

Keep it spinning...

Regds
Ed
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:00:32 PM by EdDee »
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

carlb23

• View Profile
I see smoke in your future, but i hope i'm wrong.

billswan

• View Profile
ed

You asked me to post up a pix of my old 10/1. Well after seeing your pix in the quote below i see no reason to dig for my old pictures as your crank and oil ring look identical to what was in my engine.

By the way I also run mine on WMO mixed with some diesel or gasoline and as best as i can remember i believe by some where around 1600 to 2000 hours it became so worn out compression wise it required and electric motor to spin it fast enough to get it to start. Camshaft finally  broke and i pushed it aside and began using  a larger metro to make power and heat in my shop.

For you gents who are not familiar with the centrifugal oil feed for the big end, here are a few pics to show its placing and basic construction in relation to the journal end.. http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Crank Oil Catcher/

quote]
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

EdDee

• View Profile
Hi Carl,

Been there, done it.... not much smoke either! The trick is to get really high tech - use a light globe between the 2 live lines coming from the primes - Not the energy saver ones, the good old incandescent's....

Here's how you do it:
Set up the alternator voltage outputs as close as you can to each other using the excitation voltage trimming - once the voltages are close, common the neutrals and then set the frequencies as close as you can with the governors, its best to put a small similar load on each of the alternators while you are doing this... around 20% of full load is normally ok... for this you use the really high tech kit, the light bulb.... It will pulse while the frequencies are not similar... as soon as the frequencies get close, the bulb starts pulsing slower and slower. With mech governing, you will never get them 100% matched, but that is not a problem, but get them as close as you can (as much black time on the bulb as possible). Once that is done, go back to your voltage settings and set them as close as you can once again(Leave the governor alone now)...

Do a final test on low independent load and check for frequency mismatch using your hi-tech kit, if all is ok, you can then shutdown the system and connect the live's together AFTER a safety breaker on each head. Your syncro bulb must be connected BEFORE this breaker...

To start the system, open both breakers first - then start the engines. once they are stable, bring the first onto load by closing its breaker. As the second will be running unloaded, the frequency variation will show by the pulsing of the light, the better your governor setup, the slower the pulsing.... As soon as the light goes black, close the breaker...

Your gens are now running your load together and sharing it... (Oh yes, don't believe all the BS out there that the gens have to be 100% identical to do this - as long as they are on very similar voltage and frequency settings, it will work...) You must be careful however if you are using a VERY slow turning prime - Too much pulsing will mess you around....

As a demo to show someone a few months back, I coupled my 900Va screamer to TM1(5KVa) using some jumper leads.... Worked fine....

As a side note - I have not sync'd head units with AVR's in them, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't perform the same way....probs be easier to set up voltages too, as the voltage output is semi-independent of the frequency... ... ...

Keep it smoking.....

Regds
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
Hi Bill,

Cool stuff... Thanks for coming back to me... How many hours before the cam broke on the 10, and about how many on the Metro now?

Looks like the 1750hr mark is about the time to do rings on WMO - I run mine on WMO/Dino mix, most of the hard starting I put down to gummy rings from standing and cooling overnight, might be wrong though... I preferred the electric motor start, not just because of ease, but allowing it to wind over for a couple of minutes unloaded on electric got everything nicely oiled up.... besides the big end and ring groove on the top end, I wouldn't have much hesitation putting TM1 back together as it is now, the end gaps on the rings are a "bit" large, but there wasn't much blow by at all... Just gonna do all the bits while its apart....

Oh yes, my CI is well above the 400 mark, probably closer to 6 or 700 actually, haven't really counted them before.... Lol...That should get you thinking!!

Regds
Ed

PS... A bit of an afterthought.... What were the major wear areas you picked up on the 10/1 that were attributable to the nasty fuel you were using... Piston/Rings/Liner maybe? Or other things too?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:36:04 PM by EdDee »

carlb23

• View Profile
Ed,

While i understand the light bulb method i have never done it because i have never had the need since i have my m 6/1 metro and a 10kw Natural gas gen if i need more power.  It appears that you have done the many times before so I defer to you knowledge and experience on this matter.   When i read the first post about you hooking the two generators together I thought you were going to try it for the first time.

Carl

EdDee

• View Profile
No prob Carl!!

The first time I hooked a couple together, there was definitely a bit of smoke involved, actually quite a lot of smoke if I remember correctly, quite spectacular too.... "School fees" I believe it is called... Even at the time, my dad told me I was nuts.... then I asked a very simple question.... "How do the power stations do it?" .... A lot of thought then ensued and we came up with a few ideas... Tested a few, broke a few things(school fees), got it right, broke some more things(more school fees), got it right again, then chatted about what we had actually done and what to look out for.... It was quite interesting at the time, we actually set up some old DC motors to drive some make shift alternators at various speeds and had loads of fun while experimenting... It was only much later that I actually got a chance to put the practical stuff to worthwhile use with diesel and petrol gensets.....

Keep it smoking!!

Regds
Ed

PS - just saw this link.... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi424LZhNTJAhWFWBQKHXQCBBwQtwIILDAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpdKAM2Xrtjc&usg=AFQjCNE0ky3KEzga15Yn2S4Xf63p82F52g&sig2=W1tkcEoEq4pBwbXcD7vlhA  ... pretty much what I have in mind... Damn, wish I had the internet when I was a youngster.... far less smoke would have been involved....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:44:54 PM by EdDee »

EdDee

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

Another not so update...

Picture the scene... Lovely summer's day, no wind, no rain, a perfect day to go and tinker with the beasts.....

And here I am.... sitting in the house, watching a bunch of labourers chopping out window frames.... We are replacing old steel frames with modern aluminium ones... lounge and kitchen.... in the words of Droopy Dog..... "Oh wow.......Hold me back" (said in the most monotone, boring voice imaginable)

Oh well.... gotta be done I suppose...

I just realised the true difference between civil engineers and mech engineers...... mech guys build weapons... civ's build targets.... oops... sorry civs!

I did a little more stripping of TM1 yesterday... still waiting for parts to arrive.. on taking a quick balance check of the crank/big end assy, it looks like it is undebalanced slightly... the CBW's don't quite make up the balance at first look over... they look between 200 to 300g short, will do a full balance check when everything is ready and renewed... if possible, I want to try and get the balance spot on by working out the required mass and installing it at throw radius on the flywheels...(after the wheels are balanced of course) ... once done, I will then attempt to get half the piston and upper rod mass  onto the flywheel at the same radius... this should give me a fairly uniform balance throughout the rev range... Hold thumbs!

The advantage of external balancing for me is that, should I have screwed up my calcs and working out, it can be easily reversed by removing or adding weight at the flywheels, which is easy to do at a later stage... Fortunately, as this beasty seems under balanced at this stage, only one point on the flywheel need attention...

But hey, again I ramble... keep the comments coming in... I enjoy the banter....

Keep it spinning...

Regds
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

Another somewhat boring update from a wet and rainy S of A!

Finally found some time between cleaning up after builders and the rest of life to knock together a miniature and easily portable as well as easy "fit in a toolboxable" balancing apparatus for the roids wheels with a spindle to suit.. you can view it here: http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Wheel Balancer ... It is quite basic, works quite well, and helped me determine that one wheel was 125g at 5 o clock and the other was 165g at 7 o clock out of balance... that amounts to a whopping 290g on the opposite side of the keyway that things were a bit awry... no wonder the Lister waltz was a common dance around these parts of the world... there were some rev areas between 500 and 850 that were reasonable, but on the whole it was quite bad...  With the balancing jig setup, I have been able to get the static balance to within around 5g....

My next plan is to install CBW's at about crank throw radius, first to make up for the existing CBW's  which are a bit undersize, and a second pair to match piston/rings/gudgeon/Conrod top end half weight to give me a 50% balanced  oscillating mass... if I can fit them at this radius, TM should be about as smooth as it can get across the entire rev range.... Please gents, chip in now and let me know what your opinion is of this method....... if you think I am about to screw up, SHOUT!

I have also done a bit of thinking and scratching around.... particularly regarding the setting up and synchronising of 2 gen heads, and have decided, rather than run 2  synchronous heads at the moment, I will get more benefit from a second, inductive generator as an addition... I have an old induction motor lying around and whilst it is of no use to me as a motor, it could certainly help out as an additional generating source and it will be fun to play with too... I had a quick look at the plate, 1400rpm 7Kw 380v ... I think I might be able to delta it and come out with 220v across 2 of the phases... worth a try I think....

Anyways...

Keep it spinning....

Regds
Ed
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:21:35 AM by EdDee »

billswan

• View Profile
ed

I looked back through some of my old posts and noticed an hour mark of 1775 as the point in time on my old 10/1 Omega brand listeroid that the camshaft broke. As best as I can remember the shaft twisted off. It was probably my fault as I had pushed the injector pressure very high to try to get the WMO to atomize better.

By the way I have long since pushed aside my 16/1 metro in favor of a very expensive WMO fired boiler to heat my shop. I use a little over a 1000 gallons of used oil a year in it. It can get quite cold in Minnesota USA. The old 10/1 had to run round the clock to keep up but the 16/1 could take some time off in a day. The shop is 54X75 feet. So far this year the temps have been better and usage of oil is down.

Billswan

By the way I looked at your balancing jig and am a little at a loss to understand how it works???????????
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:12:58 PM by billswan »
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

EdDee

• View Profile
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info! I have also played around with the injector pressures a bit, mine were standard at around 2k PSI mark, I pushed them up to 2500PSI and ran them down at 1500PSI - I didn't notice a very big difference in performance on both ends of the scale with WMO in tow... What pressure did you bump yours up to before things broke?

I agree re the single use of WMO  - just as heating, or just as electric, it can be a bit heavy $$ on the machinery for a single task, but my playing is a little different - I am generating heat and power as I mentioned before, as well as removing some nasty black goop from our immediate environment... and probably most of all, I am having a bit of fun doing it!!

The balancing jig is pretty straightforward, insert spindle into hub, place on the 2 roller sets and let the heavy side of the wheel pendulum it down... Add weights etc on opposite side and give it a spin, open a beer, sit and wait for it to come to rest heavy side down again... repeat as often as you can, usually until the women folk start moaning or you fall over(from fatigue, of course) ....or.... until you run out of beer.... (Rather than waste a 2" x 1' bar for a spindle, I bored out two concentric heavy 2" sections and heat fitted them over a nice hard, ground and polished piece of stainless bar about 20mm dia... Seems to work fine...)

Seems to work a treat, the bearings are bolted to the wall of the angle iron and don't interfere. I put nuts either side of the angle, not for security, but to get the bearing center more or less in line with the center of the bottom of the angle, I don't need to fasten the roller stands down when using them... Keep them on the same level and as parallel and in line as you can, and the rolling resistance is quite/very low... The scale in the background was to measure the temp balancing weight made up of magnet, bolt and bunch of washers to use as an adjustment weight... Took some flat bar,  cut it to just above the weight needed, drilled a hole in the flywheel and bolted it in place... with the weight loosely in place on the flywheel, I re-balanced it, removing a tiny bit of the flat bar until I was happy, I overcooked it on one wheel and had to put 2 washers on as a make-up...... Incidentally, HSS drills on these flywheels were useless... Too much silica and slag.... Ended up using a TC masonry bit resharpened...

Keep it spinning....

Regds
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
Hey Glort,

I have run RUG with the WMO, on several occasions in fact... Overall, I found that unless you mix up a large batch, more than 200L, it is not worth it... My reasons were as follows:

A small batch of WMO, when dried, can vary dramatically in burning rate from the next, this is because of the hit and miss on what you get blended in with it... At an average injection timing that is slightly advanced from Dino, these random batches work quite well, particularly if you add about 15-20% Dino to help with thinning and initial combustion... to keep the carbon down, water is the miracle tool that solves all ills, from preventing carbon buildup to rings sticking in grooves, to carbon building up on valve stems, to even carbon clogging in the exhaust pipes themselves...

When I tried a few small batches of RUG mix, carbon and associated ills were indeed less, but I was concerned about the "knockiness" while running, usually OK for mid early morning and evening to nightfall, where temps were around the 5 to 12C, but midday heat around 28+ C did make the monster quite a bit "lively" shall we say... And he voiced it quite audibly... It was hit and miss to find a timing position that would work satisfactorily, eventually I gave up on the RUG mix and went to Dino and water... Much more user friendly over a wide range of temperatures, albeit a little difficult to start.... But no problem with a mains powered starter motor.. I just wouldn't try and run it up cold by hand.

If I were located in a more even temperatured and cooler climate, I have no doubt that RUG would work well, just doesn't suit me in my area in summer....

I did find RUG mix much easier to start, a bit cleaner burning, and less smokey when cold....

While I am at basic diesel spec for the timing, I have both advanced and retarded it significantly and found little benefit of going beyond 22 degrees... as soon as you go more than this depending on your fuel makeup, you have to watch for knocking becoming bad.. less than 22 deg and knocking is within limits, and as a bonus, a wide variance in air temps can be handled...

I have now installed a fuel preheater, tapping heat from the cov plug to warm the juice up really hot just pre injector... initial tests seem positive, but a mech failure has got in the way of the final verdict, so the jury is still out on this one... as soon as I get the crank in, I will continue the testing, if it works out as planned, very little dino will be needed for the day's run...  The only problem I for see, will be the fuel filter being a bit "slow" with the thick oil... I might have to run parallel filters to use the 40-50W oils ... Unsure as yet...

One thing I will say about WMO over Dino - Smoother running with apparently more power- I way prefer it, so much so, that even a lady who works on the premises here remarks every now and then when the dino ratio is a bit higher than normal, she can pick it up by ear!

I juiced up my pop tester with WMO and compared the patterns... there is little difference to dino when the fuel is warm, and only minor difference when it is cool.. I didn't compare with refrigerated fuel, as my thinking is that the initial bit of the run is going to be sub normal temp only... once warmed up is my main concern... (and of course, it rarely, if ever, gets below 0C here anyway, I can only remember one winter  in the last 22 when it actually hit freezing point, and that was for less than a 4hr stretch)... As to injector pressures influencing spray pattern to any large degree, they definitely don't from what I saw.... but... they do affect the size of the droplets in the pattern... I cannot say for certain as to the percentage of atomisation that occurs from one pressure to the next, but it does make a mild difference on WMO between 1500 and 2500psi... not enough I don't think to be of concern for combustion, but a bit of concern when the upper pressures were on test for me to worry about the mechanical stresses involved... when I saw the small amount of difference I could perceive between upper and lower pressures, I simply went back to my original factory standard of 2000 psi as the injector was set when it arrived... There might be a much larger difference that is found on Dino, this I have not tested as yet... Methinks the heavier oils are a bit more "forgiving" if I might put it that way...

I did a bit more prepping of the beast this afternoon, I am now just waiting the crank and big end replacement to arrive so I can do a bit of fine balancing and install... At the same time I am going to install a double top ring... The reasons are twofold, one, more of a convoluted path for the residue to follow to get to the second ring, and two, a harder "seat" for the top ring to rest on, this should also slow down the groove wear I am experiencing...

I did notice that the top oil control ring was sticking somewhat, it is a spring assisted ring.. What I am thinking of doing is moving the lowest oil ring up a slot and installing the new bottom ring in place... the bottom oil control ring isnon spring assist and seems to fare a bit better with crappy fuels... interestingly, there is little to no wear on these rings, just a stuck spring was evident...

Ring wear is readily apparent on the top ring, less apparent on the second, even less on the third, hardly apparent on the forth, and almost non-existant on the fifth.... From this I surmise that the abrasive residues are not making it past the third, probably only just making it past the second.... Of blow-by there was very little, compression was reasonable to good, and all of this on over 1500 hrs of sump gunk fuel... I am sure that if the lube standpipe hadn't let go, rubbed against a bearing cage, and spat filings into the journal feed ring, I would still be running quite reasonably...

I did notice something I wasn't happy with while checking things over today... there is no stop in place to prevent the oil pump cam follower rotating... also, the follower was rough as a bears arse and had started to pit the cam... I pulled it, reground the profile, polished it and the cam, and reinstalled... the original listers had a oil priming lever which probably prevented the follower from rotating to any large degree... might be worth looking at in the future...

Another thing I noticed, from first startup in fact, was a "knock cum rattle" every now and then... I think I have found it... the covered end of the camshaft has a retaining bolt.... on my unit, the shaft is about 1/10mm below the level of the bushing... what our Indian friends did was install a spacer washer of about 1mm between the thrust washer and the end of the camshaft to allow things to turn without binding... I have now removed the washer, top-hatted the thrust washer by around 2/10 mm for a more reasonable working clearance, and zapped it all together... hope that damn rattle is now gone!

I also had a poke around the inside of the case today with a screwdriver and a hammer... there was only one piece of slag/sand that was readily found, in the one web corner of the IP side of the case... much hammering later, I dislodged it and removed the offending junk.. Overall, I would at this stage, label these castings as excellent in comparison to what others on this forum have found... maybe I am just lucky!

I can say, the red paint/loctite/cement/gunnite that the insides are coated with is TOUGH! After 1500 hrs, there is no flaking evident, all is intact...

Incidentally, the timing idler gear shows no discernable wear, on bushing or teeth... so that's a plus!

The only parts showing appreciable wear at this stage are the rings/piston grooves and the oil pump cam...(excluding the big end of course, that was an induced fault because someone in India didn't know that to braze piping, you actually need to use a brazing rod....)

Enough rambling.....

Keep it spinning...

Regds
Ed

PS - I just did a quick calc of the imbalance on the flywheels I had... Around 290g total imbalance at a radius of 300mm or so... Running at 750rpm that gives a centrifugal force of 55kg... I wonder if that could be why I had to go to the dentist to replace my fillings every time I stood next to it for more than 5 mins.....?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:48:28 PM by EdDee »

EdDee

• View Profile
Hey Glort,

Still waiting on my crank and big end bits to arrive, the damn couriers are on and off strike and go-slow by the looks of it... Aah well.... Sit back, have a beer, don't stress....

Incidentally, I have found the perfect de-stressing routine.... Set up chair on porch... Fetch 2x Icy lagers... Drink one Icy Lager quickly for temperature reasons... Throw can over porch railing.... open next Icy lager.... Load .22 rifle.... sip icy lager.... Relax and take aim on empty can... Fire.... Sip icy lager... (Repeat as often as is required to relax).... Once done, sweep up casings, pick up Old can and dispose of, throw next can..... begin again!!

Keep it banging...

Regds
Ed

PS - Who remembers the movie "Second Hand Lions" .... I just need the boat in the pond...(and a cellar full of $$ of course...)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:15:42 PM by EdDee »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Wow you can actually get 22lr ammo there? Been hard to find in the stores around here.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

EdDee

• View Profile
Hey Tom,

It is getting expensive though... I am cutting into the last 20k stack and am dreading topping off the store... its gonna hurt the wallet for sure...

On another line, something I have been thinking about and finally pulled finger out of orifice and worked out... on an externally balanced 6/1... the flywheel counterweight at 650 rpm of thereabouts exerts about ... well, a hell of a lot more than 120lbs of centrifugal force on the crankshaft... so.....?....... if i installed 2 nicely balanced 120lb plus each flywheels outboard of the existing flywheels, it should be perfectly well within tolerance...

Now... I have a brand new spare roid, just waiting for the wheels to be popped off and balanced..... oh so tempting....!

Keep it spinning....

Regds
Ed