Puppeteer

Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 165937 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #825 on: October 02, 2018, 10:03:06 AM »

For your  amusement, I had a look at the power forum.  Have to say, didn't fine anything very interesting really.... or any of Ed's post which may explain the less than inspirational experience.

Seems like a lot of the topics are very basic.  Some other forums I'm on ae a lot more DIY with guys making their own controllers and things. Over my head but still a lot more interesting and gives ideas more over than can I connect a 36V panel to charge a 12V battery?
I saw a thread the same as what I put on the micro site recently, what to do with excess solar power?  Seems people there are as lost with it as I am.  :0(

If there is anything really interesting there maybe someone could point to it?

And WTF is a geyser?  I take it they don't mean geothermal activity and people have steam and boiling water erupting out their back yards like I have seen in NZ so is that another name for a water heater?

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »
Oi!

Don't insult my local language!! Bwahahahah....

Geyser is the local term for a water heater....you guessed right!

Most of the topics are quite basic, but there are some learned chaps there, as well as some blowhards, inevitably.... Unfortunately, its one of those sites that seems to breed questions from questions... Ask a simple question and get a myriad in reply...

Excess solar? Bank it in anything you can... Heat a pile of bricks, charge batteries, whatever.... anything that you can even get partial energy back from.... Just use your imagination and whatever you have lying around... If you have to pay to heat your water, every degree up you can put into it, is a degree you don't have to pay for.... It might not be the most cost effective method you choose, if you bought the panels and kit new, but if they are lying around doing bugger all.... well... nuff said!

Cheers
Ed

12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 02, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »

Having too much power for a limited time is an unusual problem for sure.

All my life I have always used hot water conservatively. Ingrained since a kid, it's expensive to heat, don't waste it.  Now hot water costs me ZERO and I can't seem to use enough.
Been boiling water like mad the last few days as weed Killer to use it as a power sink and still been running the house and making 15-30 KWh over and above what we are using. Was on the plough all day today ripping up weeds and shrubs out of the garden and was thinking I could put the hose on the hot water tap tomorrow and water it all to Kill the leftover grass and seeds and the water would be back up to temp by evening and I'd still be peaking the Inverters from about 10:30 to 2 PM.

It's great to bank the power but I'm 200Kwh up with 6 weeks to run on the meter read where I aim to be behind about 100kwh to avoid too much suspicion. Supposed to be 4 days of crappy weather coming up so maybe I'll be able to  recoup some of the investment there. That' probably 4-5 days worth of power if there is zero input over those days. At worst I'd pull another days worth over that time.

I was reading the excess power thread on the other forum and there was talk of Crypto Mining. I looked into that before but didn't really get past the setup costs.  Recently I was thinking of a partnership where as someone left their Machine here and I supplied the power and we split the profits.
Given what they said in that thread, the returns would be about $3 a day. Hardly worth anyone's effort even with free power.

The reality is, apart from the small technical drawback of being highly Illegal, Growing weed would be perfect.  Power intensive, low setup costs, good returns at the end.
Firing Pottery -may- be worthwhile.  Good way to use lots of power and get a return for the effort. Not going to happen either. I had a good friend that was into that. The artist mentality combined with the doddery old woman syndrome even when they are 30 would be more than I could stand.

Need something that is low cost, reasonable returns and power hungry..... Or that 100KL vacuum flask to store hot water in for winter. 

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 02, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »

The reality is, apart from the small technical drawback of being highly Illegal, Growing weed would be perfect.  Power intensive, low setup costs, good returns at the end.

Believe it or not.... The local governMENTAL twats have just legalized it here.... "For own consumption on your own property" ... of course...

As if the local, lazy, good for nothing, population needed another excuse to mellow out.....
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 02, 2018, 09:26:44 PM »

As if the local, lazy, good for nothing, population needed another excuse to mellow out.....

HAHAHAHAHA!

I hate Stoners.  Had multiple unpleasant experiences with them and could beat the crap out of them.
Like, as in, I really could.  They are so off their tits even a fat old balding unfit Diabetic like me could wipe the floor with them for no other reason than not off my face and my reactions and awareness is not all running at 1/4 speed.

I'm not for legalized Pot other than for  real medical reasons.  Pickles peoples brains and no one ever started on heroin or any of the hard stuff . They start on grass and work their way up to other things. Had a neighbour at the last place that was clearly well into the wacky tobaccy.  Your best friend one day wanting to hug and kiss you when she saw you as she walked down the street, screaming and threatening to call the police the next.  Bit worrying what she might accuse you of till other neighbors came up and said saw what happened, she did that to me the other day and the other woman down the road a couple of weeks back.  Ya!.

Thinking about it, maybe I should take up smoking dope?
I'm currently on some pills that cost dollars a day that are supposedly to calm me down and mellow my temper.  Growing and smoking weed would HAVE to be cheaper than this shit I'm on and probably better with less side effects and other health detriments.
I know the penalties for recreational Drug use are pretty laughable here.

Every time I have been into a shop that sells Aquaponics supplies, they automatically assume that everyone is growing weed and are clearly experts on it.
Asking them about growing lettuce and tomatoes really throws them a curve ball and puts them well out their depth!

merkland

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 03, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »
Silly question for Glort! If your supply company changed your meter so that you could no longer get a credit from power going to the main how would you utilise your power then?
In the UK most if not all electricity supply meters have been changed so that they do not run backwards. We have a system. which is currently being phased, out called a 'feed in tariff system'(FITS) which was introduced to encourage the installation of solar PV on properties. Every PV system has a meter which records all power produced, any of this power not used on the premises automatically feeds into the mains system. Readings from the generation meter have to be supplied every 90 days to the company operating your FITS scheme.The property owner then receives a payment(fixed by government) for every unit produced then a further payment on half the units produced, which are deemed to have been exported to the mains. This second payment is usually around a quarter of what the supply company charges for power and is paid irrespective of whether any power is actually fed to the mains. Needless to say there are various devices developed to try and ensure that all power produced can be utilised and nothing is fed back to the mains!
merkland.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 03, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
Hey guys, a very good and trusted friend of mine has been growing weed for his own consumption for the last thirty years. He has a terminal disease. I have never seen him wasted or impaired by his use and if it gives him some pain relief without having to pay big pharma good for him. Might consider it myself but I think my head is probably too far gone to cope with anymore drugs! (Pharmaceutical)  :laugh:

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 03, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Silly question for Glort! If your supply company changed your meter so that you could no longer get a credit from power going to the main how would you utilise your power then?

I would have to pay for a proper certified Solar install to be done with the required meters that do run backwards.
We have a similar system here with the FITS.  You are charged -an amount- for what you use and given a MUCH lower credit for what you feed back.
You self consume first and whatever is left over goes back to the grid and probably sold by the power co to your next door neighbors for 6 Times the price they got it from you next door for.

The rates vary wildly.  The FIT can be as low as .6 C kwh and can be .20C Kwh.  What a lot of people don't take into consideration however is the price you PAY. I have seen endless posts on forums where people are bragging about getting .17C for a FIT but don't know what they are paying and find out after they have signed up for 2 years any power they buy is costing them 44 or even as high as .55C per KWH.

Some people can take advantage of limited deals and get credits on their power bills but they have usually spent too much on the installations in the first place so the ROI will take a LONG time to pay off.

Meters are mandated to be changed here some time in the next 3 years I think it is to the smart arse meters. The power co's have to set them up to take into account the net metering and for that you need an approved installation. The smartarse meters will come, I'm just hoping it's as far away as possible.
I won't be terribly bad off, I'll get a legit install and then backfeed all the rest of my arrays just as I do now. Instead of getting a 1:1 price effectively for what I feed in and use,  I might be lucky and get a 25% feed in rate. I'll be running a veg fueled genny though to make sure I get as much out of the bastards as I can though! :0)

When that eventuality comes about, the decision will be to go with that or go off grid completely.
If I remove the winter house heating load, I'd have more than enough power to see me though right now and I have plenty of viable roof space to put probably put 40 Kw of panels in total up. A better alternative would probably be to go with a Veg powered generator which I'd need anyway.

I have it as good as it will ever get right now so I'm trying to make the most of it while the good times last. 
I will never have power cheaper than what I do right now no matter what I do with any changes I have to make.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 03, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »
Might consider it myself but I think my head is probably too far gone to cope with anymore drugs! (Pharmaceutical)  :laugh:

I was talking to my Brainac and very successful Brother in law the other day.  We were talking about my lack of motivation and enthusiasm particularly where getting my business up and going again is concerned.
I was thinking just a couple of days ago, this may well be in part to the crap I am taking.  It's basicaly to calm me down and mellow my moods.  I can cry like a baby but be ready and capeable to kill some moron 5 sec later.

I want to talk to the doc ( or look it up) and see what other effect this stuff may cause.  In the past I have always been "flighty" in that I came up with an idea, did a bit of home work and as soon as I was convinced there was a buck to be made, it happened.  95% of the time my first and only experience in the market was the first Job I did but they  always worked and were always successful till the market became non viable through reasons beyond my control or fault.

This requires a good degree of hunger and certainly drive and Initiative..... things I am really sadly lacking now. hard to say if that has been caused by life experiences which I can tell have left deep scars or if it is the pills or a combination of both.... which I tend to think is the most likely scenario.

I got to these Medicos and they give me " Crazy pills" as I call them and tell me they are NOT happy pills. I always ask WTF not? That's EXACTLY what I need!
Pretty sure like the miscreants around Ed's way that the last thing I need is to chill me out any more although a replacement for what I do have in that dept may not be a bad thing.

Biggest problem: I don't like smoking.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 03, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
Hey Glort...

Wanna come round for some tea and cookies?...... As long as you don't want to take any home, it's fine!

Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 03, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Hey Glort...

Wanna come round for some tea and cookies?...... As long as you don't want to take any home, it's fine!

Ed

Yeah, Mrs learned that the hard way.  Flew into NZ few years back and the customs dog sat down next to her.  She got taken aside. Daughter and I kept on walking a bit then daughter asked what was going on. I said the drug dog has smelt something on her. Other customs woman nearby over heard and said " No, it's not drugs, it's food we are looking for. " Daughter didn't catch what the woman said and asked me. I said your mother has been pulled aside for smuggling lunch!

Was only the smell in her bag she normally put her lunch in and took to work so after emptying it and confirming she wasn't part of an international food smuggling operation, she didn't get the old Rubber glove up the wazoo treatment and was let go.

Imagine if they found THOSE Cookies.
You'd get double time for smuggling drugs AND morning tea!   :o

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »
Many years ago a friend of mine, who was a chef, got pulled at JFK airport. They asked if he had any meat, vegetables or fruit in his luggage. His reply was: "if you want a three course dinner you`ll have to come to my restaurant". That got him the full rubber glove treatment, didn`t stop him being a smart arse, just stopped him going to America!  :laugh:

Bob

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 03, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »
Hey Guys....

It rained today...my stash got wet...couldn't get it lit.... worked on software layouts a bit instead...

Take a look at: http://www.digipoint.co.za:85 and browse through the semi completed dashboards I set up for the solar stuff....feel free to tear my crappy layouts apart and set me in the right direction!

I finally found what I was looking for in banggood... a 24 to 48vdc variable input voltage/output current/output voltage, 1500W boost converter... ordered, hopefully soon to arrive... I am going to use it to hook my 24v blow gennie system as an auxilliary  charger to the 48v battery bank on the main inverter system....

Nuff sed.. time to see if my stash is dry and go read some SF....

Keep it smoking...

Cheers
Ed

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 05, 2018, 03:18:33 AM »
Here in Tennesee, United States, North America, Earth, the Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, possession of weed will get your property, possessions, money etc, confiscated by Law Enfarcement, to be used in the War On Drugs. War is a Fucking Joke. Control is the correct term.
 If you have a legitimate need for THC to combat epilepsy, Parkinson's, horrible pain that the Govt sanctioned opioids (very controlled and expensive)
won't touch, then you are a criminal and as such "Shit out of Luck". I really hate the way our government has been stolen and bastardized.
Wow, I am coming across a little Bitter, sorry.
Ron.

PS. In my defense, I am under the influence of those same aforementioned opioids due to "Balloon Sinuplasty" earlier today. Yes it hurts!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:22:21 AM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 05, 2018, 03:42:47 AM »
Many years ago a friend of mine, who was a chef, got pulled at JFK airport. They asked if he had any meat, vegetables or fruit in his luggage. His reply was: "if you want a three course dinner you`ll have to come to my restaurant". That got him the full rubber glove treatment, didn`t stop him being a smart arse, just stopped him going to America!  :laugh:

Bob

Yes.  My partner and I travelled to America just a few months after Sept 11.  Same treatment.  Missed ongoing flights.  Treated like cattle etc (To be fair the Airport Secirity folks were treating Americans just the same).  I have never gone back and don't plan to.  Travelling to Europe we just fly through Asia (where they welcome travellers) instead

Interestingly, my most vivid memory of America is waling home from the old Whiskey Ago-go at about 3 AM and crossing the street to avoid the commotion outside a cowboy bar where some six-foot-eight cowboy (stetson hat, pointed boots . . .) was engaged in kicking another to death in the gutter outside

I kinda like it down here at the Bottom of the World where the cops don't have guns and the airport secirity folks understand the "polite" part of "Firm but Polite"