Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 167607 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #795 on: September 03, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
Hey Guys...

A quick checklist....

Handy largish solar power install....Done
Small combo wind/solar install....Done
New water tanks arrived...Yep
Fittings ordered to install tanks...Yep
Power Failed...Yep
Solar Batteries flat...Yep
Overcast and not charging...Yep
Pissing with rain...Yep
Wind howling and generating 2 million terrawatts on my 500W blow gennie...Yep
Blow gennie connected to house...Nope!
Prepared to go out into the rain and install the damn tanks...Nope!
Prepared to piss around in the rain and stick a 48V charger on the house from the wind gennie...Nope!
Running on Lister Power ... Yep  ;D
Contingency Planning at its best.... The more contingencies you plan for, the less prepared you will be!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 03, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »

So what you are really saying Ed is you could have avoided all that other work and stuck to the thumpmasters and you would have been just as well off.

:laugh:

Sound's like you and I had a similar day.  Everything I touched today turned to crap. Got ridiculous in the end so I came in and tried to do as little else as possible lest I break something else.  :'(

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 03, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
Hey Glort!

Bwahahahahaaaaaaaa.....

I thought I was the only one with the "Sadim" touch.....the opposite of Midas.....

Actually, what I was saying was, stuff solar, stuff wind, stuff diesel, stuff hydro...and....stuff the monkeypality services too! A grass hut in the Savannah with a nice wood fire going to keep me warm....No....stuff that too, 'cos I'm gonna have to chop wood and carry water....I think I'll just move in with one of the kids and they can do the worrying after that!! (Hey junior, when's supper...I'm hungry!!)

Keep it spinning!!

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 03, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »
I think I'll just move in with one of the kids and they can do the worrying after that!! (Hey junior, when's supper...I'm hungry!!)

Oh the irony!

I'm going up to Dads tomorrow. Haven't been there in months so god knows what he's been up to.

You never know Ed, Moving in with your kids may make them happier than you realise and take a lot of stress off them in years to come.
Although I get the distinct you could cause them a lot of stress too......

"......... And when I got home from school today, Grandad and I worked on his his steam train he's building in the shed..... no, it's not a model Mummy, it weights 50 Tons so far.........

Here's retired Ed......

https://youtu.be/jC2L29BdQH4?t=315

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 03, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
I must admit....I wouldn't mind an old stationery steam engine to tinker with....Would be good fun!!

I've seen a few episodes on his channel, steeplejack of note!

Reminds me when I was asked if I was scared of climbing my antenna tower, roof etc.... Simple answer...No...Less than 3m scares the crap out of me, above that I'm dead, someone else's problem....

Could just picture the scene if I move in with the kids, Junior gets home to a nice home cooked meal, freshly hunted turkey compliments fly..... A knock on the door and the local po-po's are there to arrest me....discharging a shotgun in a supermarket....

Lol
Ed

PS - I'm too young to be a grandfather, you, girlie, keep your legs crossed, you sonny, keep it zipped up!!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 03, 2018, 04:16:06 PM »
I love those Fred Dibnah Vids.
He is a man I would have dearly loved to meet and spend some time with.

PS - I'm too young to be a grandfather,

Ohhh, I don't know about that.  I do know a couple whom were grandparents at 35. They were great grandparents by 53. Must be tradition in the family.
Going against the stereotype, far from being in the lower socio economic demographic, the now grandparents are VERY well off and their Kids are at the top end of their generation as well. The now grandparents were married because they had to be but are one of the happiest couples I know.  Their Kids marriages have held so far even though their kids were then old enough to take part in the wedding as well.

My daughter is going out with a bloke I do not like one bit. Least I'm Honest.  I looked him straight in the eye and told him, you do anything to hurt or bring harm to her and you WILL disappear off the face of the earth. Mrs and Daughter got REALLY upset about that but far as I am concerned, what father whom loved his daughter wouldn't be of that position?  I found out that young bloke took it metaphorically and when he told my daughter I was just saying it, Daughter told him that I was crazy and I did mean and would do everything I said.  So I was in the bad books for NOT being a liar.  Go figure.

I will have a very hard time if she wants to marry him because I just don't have any faith in the guy or would believe it would last. I am a great salesman but I am really bad at hiding personal feeling particularly with putting on a happy face with people I don't like. I don't know how I would be with a grand child that was half from a person I did not trust or respect... or even like really. The way my life goes, she probably will want to marry him just to fk life up for me a bit more.  I need her to be with a guy I can look at like a son and have that trust and relationship not some dingbat who keeps screwing up.
My Son found himself a brilliant girl. We would have been so happy for her to be our daughter in law and her family was thrilled with the idea of my son being in their family. That was a relationship that everyone approved of.  I want my daughter to find someone we can think of the same way.

This one is not a matter of no bloke being good enough for my daughter. There is one young guy in the circle of friends who I would be over the moon if he took up with her, I have even tried to encourage it but the young bloke thinks he has to build himself some financial security before he goes looking for a wife so he has something to offer to attract a decent girl. As far as my daughter is concerned... well I think he's just too responsible and level headed for her to be interested in him.   :embarassed:

No matter, I'll keep inviting him round every opportunity.
Wonder if I sort of mentioned her wedding gift from her mother and I would be a deposit on a House if that might pique his interest any further??   ;)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 03, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »
Hi Guys

I met Fred Dibnah years back at the Great Dorset Steam Fair (It had it's 50th last week), he was driving an ex army lightweight Land Rover, can't remember what he was doing there, nice bloke, just the same in real life as on the tv.

Not been too bad a day here, only 7 hours to change the starter motor on the Series III Landy. I poked a 200TDI from a Discovery up it last winter, the only difficult bit is the turbo, it's very close to the chassis rail if you use the Disco exhaust manifol, so close it buggers up access to the starter so I fitted a new one to avoid future imbuggerance.............

The Sadim touch running world wide?

The patron Saint for today is St Gregory, patron saint of students, teachers and musicians, where was Saint Pat when we needed him?

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 03, 2018, 08:20:42 PM »
I must admit....I wouldn't mind an old stationery steam engine to tinker with....Would be good fun!!

I've seen a few episodes on his channel, steeplejack of note!

Reminds me when I was asked if I was scared of climbing my antenna tower, roof etc.... Simple answer...No...Less than 3m scares the crap out of me, above that I'm dead, someone else's problem....

Could just picture the scene if I move in with the kids, Junior gets home to a nice home cooked meal, freshly hunted turkey compliments fly..... A knock on the door and the local po-po's are there to arrest me....discharging a shotgun in a supermarket....

Lol
Ed

PS - I'm too young to be a grandfather, you, girlie, keep your legs crossed, you sonny, keep it zipped up!!

The grandad years are the best years so far :)

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 06, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
Hey Guys...

Sitting hunched and shivering over my laptop and a cuppa coffee in my fridge office... At my desk its 12.5C... I'm frucking fozen....

Weather is overcast, miserable and raining, I don't know how you buggers can handle the snow, sleet and slush... You can keep it!

Been playing with some demo software on the solar/inverter system for the past few days - ICC (Inverter Control Center) - Its basically a nice dashboard/front end with data logging facilities for the Axpert 5KVA unit I've got hooked up.. Runs on a RaspberryPi and seems pretty damn stable and usable! I think I'll save up a bit and stick some money their way, looks more than capable for what I need...

Interestingly, with the logger running, I have been able to plot my power harvest curves and make a couple of minor tweaks to both settings and installation, power becomes usable here at around 06h30 where the 4Kw array starts picking up some rays and gets about 200-500W flowing into the batteries. The batteries get out of bed at about 08h00 when they have a bit of juice in them and their voltage gets above the threshold I have set, allowing the inverter to come on and start doing some work... This continues through the day, running pretty much the entire place (if there's sun of course...unlike today when its miserable and shitty)... Peak solar I have measured over the past few days has been around 3Kw, enough to run the whole place, offices included, as well as the old power hungry dishwasher... I'm happy with that!

Evening power drops below self sustenance at around 16h00 and it starts being aided by the batteries, this continues on till around 17h30, then the system goes to sleep and we run on the grid... Time to start working on some decent lead acid battery making soon, I think...  But, there is one wee little thing I am planning on before I beef up the DC bottles... I am planning on one more solar string, wasn't sure whether I should make it a morning or evening string, but from the logging I have done, it looks like it will be an afternoon/evening facing string that will come out tops.... Anybody done this yet? Faced a string upwards at midday to see max yield and then horizon West in the evening to see potential capabilities from the same string? C'mon Glort, at least you should be able to gimme an answer!!

If I can extend another hour or so at a Pv output of about 1.2Kw out of the system, I think I will have met my goal!

Enough rambling...

Coffees' getting cold....

Cheers
Ed

PS - My new (old) toy has arrived... An old Landini tractor I am going to rebuild (not restore) and get running again, a largish one... Mechanically, most bits seem present, bodywork is best described as "15 000 rust holes moving in close formation"...

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 06, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
It's not a straightforward question Ed, If I understand what you are wanting correctly.

First are you asking for max peak or max yeild? If total yeild, the actual answer is to face the panels east west at an angle of 60o.
This will give you a virtually linear output all day long which is good for battery charging as you are not ramping up, pumping more amps than maybe you can use at once and then tapering off.
With the 60O  east west you get a very stable output all day long.

Another consideration is your weather.
Some places get more cloud/ rain in the morning, others more in the afternoon.  If you get more rain in the afternoon, then you go for the east orientation.  If the rain is in the morning, then go for west when its more likely to be clear.
Flat panels work best in  summer and cloudy days. If the power is most valuable when you have the least, overcas, then go for flat.  Flat also eliminates orientation.  I have 3 KW on my south almost flat roof and because it's flat, it's  better than being at latitude south.

Where I am, The flat panels produce more power over all than the west panel's at latitude angle.

OTher consideration, when is your power usage the highest? For most it's morning and evening so west facing may be better for when everyone is at home, watching TV preparing meals, using computers, turning on AC after heat  of the day.

( 12o, Fk me! Dad and I walked out of the club after having dinner a few hours ago and commented how warm it was and saw the thermo in the car and outside the club saying, 12oc. )

My solar calculator of choice is the https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/   site.
I have found it to be extremely accurate overall to what I see in my area and allows you to do things like you want, say how much power will I get with this many panels facing this direction or that at this tilt.
I have found the results to often be surprising and not what I expected.

I found that flatish panels on the south roof gave me more total KWh than the west panels at the " ideal" tilt...... which is not effing ideal at all IMHO.

For late max power, go west young man.
For even, constant power as early and late as possible, east west, 60o.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:28:57 PM by glort »

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 06, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Hey Glort...

Thanx for coming back to me...

A bit of a "custom" setup I wanna do.... Then again, when have I ever been considered to be "conformist"...

I am happy with the 12 panels facing N at about 30o tilt from horizontal, they work well for the daily power... My power needs are most during the day, about 2kw ave draw (anything that can be bulk pumped, cooled, heated or stirred is on daytime timers to use the sun)... The next little hurdle I am looking at is the "everybody gets home after work" hump... It amounts to about 1.5kw draw total from 17h00 to 22h00 or so...well, no sun at night, so I am trying to scheme my way around getting the last bit of sunset yield, around 16h30 till 18h00 or so as the sun sinks away... I tried going onto www.pvwatts.com but my virus/malware scanner went bonkers, so I just backed out quietly....

The panels I am looking at putting in, in addition to my N facing ones, would be facing WNW approximately at about 20o from vertical/70 from horizontal... Latitude is around 33 deg S, so anybody who can give me a pointer as to what to expect power wise from 3x 335W panels from about 2 hours before sunset through to sunset would be a kind person indeed!...

Overall yield from the "evening panels" is not an issue, they would be purely for sunset harvest....

I wonder if there's any "prediction graph" from that site that would give me an idea of what to expect...?

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 06, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »

Hi Ed,

Sorry, gave you a bum steer with that site. Should have been  https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

It does not tell you an hourly breakdown but I don't think you need it.  Tilt your panels 45-60o for max late afternoon harvest.

My GUESS to total output from those panels would be about 1 Kwh. The fall off is pretty steep as it gets late.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanx Glort,

Got onto the site and did some tinkering at various angles and bearings....

Yep, you're right.... The falloff is too steep to warrant the cost of the install.... Now, if I wound up the Lister every day at 5pm and hooked a spotlight shining onto a mirror, which reflects onto another which illuminates a string of panels..... Naah....would take too long to clean the mirrors each day.......

Lol
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 21, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
Hey guys....

Started working on SCFM a few nights ago... (Scary Candy Floss Machine)....

A small bowl, high G centrifuge... If my calcs are right, I should be able to get a max of around 40 000g out of a 95mm dia bowl... The bowl will be doing around 36 000 RPM at that G output....  The containment casing is good 10mm steel, capable of stopping a 9mm or even a 357mag round... I know, I tested it!

The separation forces on the bowl at flat out are about 12 000 Kg, the tensile strength of soft ali is about 20 000kg or so, so it should hold together ok, if not, it will simply make a loud bang and turn to gravel...

The working revs I will be targeting will be around the 18 000rpm mark or lower, sep forces will be about 3000kg, which I am a bit more comfortable with...

Interesting observation...12000 kg sep force at 36000 rpm.... that equates to my bulldozer traveling at 600 fps... well, not quite, but still scary!

At the 18000rpm mark, there is still 10 000g available to play with, even on this small bowl.... It should be quite "interesting"...

If all pans out ok, once I have seen the results of the tests, I will cast and machine up a larger ali bowl, around the 200mm diameter mark. Remember, g forces are proportional to increase in diameter and in square proportion to revs!

So much fun, so little time!!

Here are a few 1000 words to look at....

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 21, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
And a few more...