Puppeteer

Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 176570 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #780 on: August 13, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
Hey Guys....

Report back:

Finally got a chance to get the Blow Gennie up to 10m this weekend, having finished and painted mast last week. All pulleys, lifting tackle (Not related whatsoever to wedding tackle, Glort) cabling, guys and winch are done and dusted, Cables have been re-routed to a more permanent, temporary route, just the winch cover to make and put in place. I have included a "drip pulley" routing the 5mm stainless cable away from the winch drum on the downward leg of its route, around it, and back up to the drum. this prevents rain from saturating the spool of cable and rusting it to buggery.... To raise and lower, you unhitch it from the drip pulley and take up the slack prior to doing windey-windey...

Raising the mast by another 3 to 4m has made a marked difference in performance. I would like to go higher, but to go beyond the 10m mark would mean replacing the lower 3" mast with at least 4 to 5" diameter pipe, way beyond my finances at the moment...

Performance is about 3x what it was previously, in very light breeze at ground level, about 50 to 100W is generated - when it picks up a bit, the output hits the 200 to 300W mark with little effort. Bear in mind that this is a "toy" 500W wind installation, in less than ideal situation for wind, but ideally situated for access. The single 250W panel connected to the little toy generates probably 300% more power than the turbine itself overall... This unit would be best utilized in a higher relative geographical location and one with a good view of a regular off-the-sea breeze probably....

Enough said, it does what it was intended to do, namely running a few lights in the workshop and will be further utilized to keep batteries topped up for tractors, tillers and the like.... (Possibly even providing power for the forming of lead-acid cells that I hope to get a chance to make soon....)

Here's a link to a small vid one of the girls took of the layout so far.... Bound to make you a little giddy, the camera was turned 90 degrees during the filming... Professional camera operators are so hard to come by these days.... Glort, COME TAKE PICTURES!!

http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Blow Gennie

Keep on blowing....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 13, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »
Looks Great Ed.

Your vids are a lot clearer and detailed than your Pictures.

You seem to have gapped the panels nice too. I was talking to some friends yesterday about mine with this. Said with a temp range of over 50oC winter lows to summer High's they will move around  a bit.

Very interesting that the height adjustment which I would not have thought was that much made such a difference.  Spose the rule would be the higher up the less disturbed the air.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the batteries but please don't give me anymore rushes of blood to the head.  I have enough of these DIY ideas already.  For some reason, My Hydrogen seems to be doing  useful production now even though I haven't touched it so I might play with that a bit more and then give the  biogas another try.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 22, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
Hey all...

Been a bit down in the dumps lately...Dunno why.... but had a nice "brightner upper"  today... A mate sent a surprise gift of 3x5000L water tanks .....

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 22, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »

Hope you are feeling better Ed.  I know what feeling down is like.... can't really remember the last time I felt happy but you go on or put a gun to your head and I'm all out of ammo so guess that narrows the choices.

The water tanks look like a very Nice score.  No Doubt they will come in handy! I had one almost identical to these ones you have.  Was given to me but then I realised it didn't fit where I wanted it to go.  Gave it to a mate and he thought it was Christmas.  Got a LOAD of fiberglass  from his work they were going to throw out ( expired use by date) and completely re enforced/ re sealed the thing. Then he painted it and put new inlets and outlets on it.
Literally better than new and better looking as well.

I was watching YT last night with my mind going 100 MPH is useless circles as always.  I was thinking about managing my solar power and what i could do with the excess I am running dummy load on now to keep the voltage in check.  Suddenly, I had this brainwave.  it was obvious! Use the power through the middle of the day to pump water up to a big tank and then later in the afternoon/ evening, let it run back down again into another tank and use the water to reverse the pump and make power.

Seemed so Obvious.  Then I thought, wait, no room for a big tank up the back..... But there is a shipload of room for IBC's! I could stack them 3 High as well and the Mrs would approve of the barrier from the back neighbors looking in from their yard.  Ibc's 40 Wide, 3 High... Brilliant! finally I found something to do with that excess power that was a practical way to re use it later.

I was so excited.... I woke up!
I'd nodded off watching the YT vids.  I remembered the idea though, then reality sank in.  Top yard to front fence would have -maybe- 5M fall.  And where the hell am I going to put all that water at the front? Build another great wall of IBC's?  I don't think so!

I was looking today and putting some IBC'c round the side of the house under a convenient down pipe and against a blank bit of wall.  Way things are going here,  having some stored water will not be a bad idea.

Chin up Ed, plenty of exciting things to do to tell us about!   ;)

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 23, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Hey Glort...

These are brand new, unused units... A mate owns the factory that makes them and they were surplus to a special order....

A lovely gift indeed, that has brightened my mood somewhat... I spent the evening yesterday getting my PL3203 USB-Serial adaptor working on my Win10 tablet... Going to hack and change the firmware a bit on the inverter I installed this coming weekend...

Sheeeesh..... Now I remember why I hate Win I.T. ...... No sooner has something stabilized then the great BG releases a new "upgrade" to the OS and you gotta start all over...

'Nuff sed....

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 23, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »

Id make sure that mate is on the Christmas card list with a bottle of his favourite cough medicine to go with it!

Quite a score indeed.

I USED to prefer the Win Server versions over the regular Windoze versions. I did a lot with server 2000 in my business running up to 30 Networked machines and I actually found it OK.  Matter of fact I got used to that and  then found doing things on the other versions difficult.  In server you just told it what you wanted it to do. In the others it was all sorts of jumping through hoops by comparison and mucking round. I was no expert but it was intuitive enough that I taught myself how to do what I wanted on it and it was so much more stable than the '98 I was using on other machines at the time.

Best part was it was stripped down so you were only running what you needed not 150 Background programs taking up resources when you would never need the damn things.

I was given this Server I dubbed the " Tumanski"  It was 80Kg, sucked more power at full cry than a std outlet was rater for, had over 20 Cooling fans that spooled up in succession making it sound like a jet winding up and has some Ridiculous amount of ram that was set up as 32Gb with another 32 backup for each of the 4 quad cores.  Thing took 5 Min to boot and had 18 SCSI drive installed which added up to less than a TB.

It was 6 years old when it was given to me and when new was a $38K machine.
THAT was a computer..... Although in terms of computing power, your tablet would probably leave it for dead!

I have been wanting a new machine for a few years but they all come with that Win 10 which drives me insane.  I think this one I have now is pushing about 12 YO but I keep throwing solid state Drives at it and it's got a load of ram in it as well so does OK even in doing high end photo editing.
It's certainly a lot faster that the internet connection I have out here!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 30, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »
Hey Guys,

some info on what's been happening, some musings, some rambling.....and....well....just general BS too.....

So far the solar and wind projects have gone pretty well (Read that as "Not too much smoke escaped during installs!")

Wind/Solar combo power: Looks cute, looks interesting, spins and makes lovely sounds....doesn't make much power....on wind anyway... Best I have seen to get the 500W rated out of it, at 24V that's around 20A, was during the gale force winds a month or two back... The property location just doesn't lend itself to wind generation on a small scale. I daresay that if I elevated it another 20m or so, taking it to a 30m total hub height, things would be a bit more "lively" .... and "interesting" too... The solar side of the combo set works reliably and well, generating 250W from around 9am to about 4pm with little break in between, only cloud cover, obviously.... The wind does bolster it, don't get me wrong, but its spurious at best, with a power supply well below 50W on average... This little SHTF system is hooked up to keep my tractor batteries in charge, and runs the welding bay/machine shop lighting on a day to day basis, around a max of 300W draw for about 4 to 8hrs a day on average. Unfortunately there is little to no natural lighting in those areas, so daytime lighting is in order for any work(Playing and building sh!t) to happen there...

Straight Solar Power installation: Working very well so far - I have got all of the batteries I need for the moment racked up and installed, along with some HA-02 4 port battery balancers to keep things in the land of the living for as long as possible in that department. Yep, I know, 638SMF vehicle batteries are NOT the right things to be using, but at last check they were about the best bang for buck to use in the short term, Now, a bunch of supercaps would be loverrrrly, sniff, sniff....

A few notes on power usage - We have dropped down from a max60kWh, ave50kWh per day down to ave15kWh per day from the monkeypality supply... A fair cost saving indeed!

As has been mentioned more than once around this forum, there is way more to power cost saving/gen/solar/wind implementation than simply putting in a system and expecting the dollhairs to start flowing in. It takes a little scheming and planning to use the power when its available, ie when the sun is shining in the solar sense of the plan... To this effect, I have made some pretty simple changes that are (generally) quite easy to implement, only a little growling and barking to get the residents to play along, especially when I point out that its largely to their financial benefit... to summarize:

Deep Freeze: On timer to start it up at 10am and turn it off at 5pm - Don't piss about and stand there with the top open trying to decide what you want to eat in 10 minutes time... Keep the bugger closed till the next morning, take out the stuff you want to cook and put it in the fridge till the evening....Not only will it defrost slowly and remain fresh, but it will help the fridge a bit too!

Grey Water Pump: These are also on timer, set to come on at around 11am where they will replenish the header tank for the toilet cisterns... If you run out of cistern supply in the evening, use a bucket to flush it... In any event, how the f!@# did you manage to deplete 300L of grey water in an evening anyway(toilet cisterns have been adjusted to use a max of around 12L per flushfill)? Was it fun to stand there flushing the toilet incessantly?

Fridges: Some, soon all, are to be on timers, going off around midnight and coming on around 9am.... It is not required that the fridge be opened in the early morning hours to check if the stuff's still there... There are far better things to do than see if the fridge light is working at 2am....go watch a movie if you can't sleep!

Home network, servers, security systems, pabx.... on power 24/7, but since the inverter has a battery supply, it acts as a ups anyway, so there is no need for a separate ups to be there....same applies to the home offices, all ups's have been put in storage, saving about another 150w of overhead per unit, maybe a bit less, but it all adds up...especially when there are 3 or 4 units running....

Heavy duty home electrical appliances: Iron, chip fryer, dishwasher, hair dryer.... I have provided a single heavy duty outlet in the scullery for playing with these things - Now you can even iron while you watch TV/listen to 2gigawatts of sound power from the adjoining kitchen entertainment system, how thoughtful of me! Oh, by the way, there is only one plug so please select whether you want to iron, fry chips, wash dishes, or dry your hair.... Actually works quite well - I see very little of the iron being left on while the clothes are being fetched/packed away or the smell of something "hot" emanating from a bedroom, like when curling tongs get forgotten on for 2 to 3 hours until the red glow finally attracts someone...Way more too my liking, but I did get a "bit" of opposition with this choice...

Enough ranting... on to some tech type stuff explaining how it all hangs together, the power systems as such...

Power comes in from municipal feed and hits my pay-as-you-go meter. It then hits the "Heavy duty stuff" like the dishwasher plug, the double oven, the electric hob, the metal workshop DB, the wood workshop db. From there it heads towards my Heath-Robinson "auto mains dump" contactors which are controlled by my Lister (See it is a Lister post!!). If I run either of my Listers, they take over mains supply automatically and supply downstream from here. After that, it heads to a couple of "non essential" items, that seldom get used and draw little power when they do. Next it heads to my little auto start 5kVa diesel gennie, this kicks in if the utility power fails, after a few seconds of startup delay. In short order it heads directly to the solar inverter utility input, then back from the solar inverter/ups to the DB board to power the more "critical" things as required (Like fridges, Tv's, Network, Offices, Home entertainment systems, Sound systems, bedroom plugs, Microwave and just about anything else I can squeeze into the 5kVa limit of inverter and gennie....)

The inverter and the little gennie are "plugged" into each other via surface mount plugs... If one or both gives shit, it can be bypassed without even opening the DB board, simply unplug and put the plug in one step closer to the supply....

Right....enough of my idiotic rambling....time to go play and see if I can let the smoke out....

Cheers
Ed

PS: Glort - The babbington powered heat exchanger is still running like a charm, with the odd flame out here and there due to wind or water in the fuel.... Averaging about 3L of waste oil per day on the 300L water supply heatup.....

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 30, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »
Awesome Post Ed!
I was mucking round re wiring stuff today but geez Louise, your setup leaves mine for dead! When you kick the bucket in 40 or 50 years time, the next resident will never be able to figure the electrical system in the place out!  :0)

A few notes on power usage - We have dropped down from a max60kWh, ave50kWh per day down to ave15kWh per day from the monkeypality supply... A fair cost saving indeed!

Definitely!  That's Brilliant Ed! The power co won't come round to see why its' dropped will they?
You mentioned PAYG. How is that done? Do you give CC details over the net or phone for Credits or ??

My Mrs is putting $30 a week  direct deposit onto our electricity account.  She did that at the last place and I had to tell her to stop when I realised we were $700 in credit and barely using that much a year.  We were $40 Behind this winter bill but come next winter, we will be so far ahead she can probably drop it to $10 a week.

In any event, how the f!@# did you manage to deplete 300L of grey water in an evening anyway(toilet cisterns have been adjusted to use a max of around 12L per flushfill)?

300L IS a lot for flushing.  We average about 500L a day for everything in the house, flushing, washing, showering and in the sinks. ..... even when my daughter is home.  Seems to have got over the long shower thing now. Always in too much of a rush to be somewhere else to stand there long.... although that said, she loves looking at herself in the big bathroom mirror with the high power leds I put in there that lights it up like Christmas.

Fridges: Some, soon all, are to be on timers, going off around midnight and coming on around 9am....

Please enlighten the ignorant, AKA, me, How this helps reduce power consumption Ed?
 I would have thought the amount of energy to keep the thing at a set temp would be the same if the thing ran intermittently or played catch up in the morning.  Are you just letting the temp rise a bit during the night and figure a long run is more economical than several shorter ones?

I have done the same sort of time/ load  shifting myself last couple of weeks.  Put the septic on a timer so it only runs the pump within a 4 hour window when the solar is at its peak.  Doing the water heater the same unless manually over ridden that there has to be a min voltage triggered by the solar to kick in.  Been looking for other things to do this with as well and was thinking of the fridge.  Think I reduced the power consumption of that yesterday.  Noticed the door wasn't closing properly.  My leveling shim had come out and the cabinet probably twisted so it was only properly sealed at the bottom not the top.  Leveled it up again and all good.
I might throw a meter on it and see what sort of power it's pulling over 24 Hrs.

Got up this morning and was looking at the frost covered back yard. Was thinking to myself  " Why am I running a fridge when it's colder out there than where the milk is right now"?  I was wondering if I had a small pump circulating water through a radiator with a fan on it from an IBC, what sort of cold energy could I capture? I was thinking probably enough to circulate the water through another little HE and keep stuff cold all day. Won't be long and the night time lows will still be above 30oC though.

Oh, by the way, there is only one plug so please select whether you want to iron, fry chips, wash dishes, or dry your hair

You have done a lot of clever things and passed on some great Ideas Ed but that may be your crowning stroke of Brilliance yet!   :laugh:
Of course If I did that, there would be a 6 outlet power board plugged into that outlet within 24 Hours, Guaranteed!
Then again, not all bad.  I actually used this years ago with the fan heaters.  Wife and kids all wanted one going full tilt in the 3 different rooms they were in and wondered why the Fuses were blowing.  Putting them on a board meant they could only use the low setting or the board  tripped.
Mind you, going out one night and having them blow the fuse and then have to sit there with no heater, TV, computer, Play station or anything else bar lights didn't hurt getting the message across either.

.... Actually works quite well - I see very little of the iron being left on while the clothes are being fetched/packed away or the smell of something "hot" emanating from a bedroom, like when curling tongs get forgotten on for 2 to 3 hours until the red glow finally attracts someone...

How I can relate to that! Hair straighteners in my house.  And 2-3 Hours, you are doing well.  I have come home more than once at 5 in the afternoon to find the mongrel things still going from 8am when they left.
Over the years I have have taught them I am a man of my word.  Daughter wouldn't open the bedroom door, I threatened to kick it down. She didn't, I did.  Next 2 years had a curtain for a door.  Told Mrs if she didn't wind the clothes line up when she finished with it so I didn't keep walking into the thing and sconning myself, It take to it with an angle grinder> Which I did.  Next 12 Months she was hanging the clothes on a piece of rope I strung between the patio post and a tree.

Told Daughter you don't turn that hair straighter off, I'll cut the cord off the thing.  Apparently that was a really expensive hair straightener she had to replace but this new one must have a " i'll never forget to turn the bastard thing off again " feature because now every time I go in her bathroom, it's unplugged.

The message has got through. Said some thing to her cousin something the other night and he said  " Oh really?"  Daughter panicked and said OMG, don't ever say that to my father, If he says something, he WILL do it and then proceeded with the Mrs to give account of all the promises I have kept over the years.  For some reason, they seem to think me living up to my word is strange or something.  ???

PS: Glort - The babbington powered heat exchanger is still running like a charm, with the odd flame out here and there due to wind or water in the fuel.... Averaging about 3L of waste oil per day on the 300L water supply heatup.....

Is that heating being aided by the thumpers Ed?  Otherwise, you are getting very good efficiency with that.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 30, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
Hey Glort....

I think I might have to write a fairly in-depth manual on the place before I shuffle off... I will, of course, demand payment for said manual, preferably in burgers and cough mixture, other creature comforts will be negotiated if required. The manual will be in audio form, personally related, by the designer, on demand(of said creature comforts!) This manual will be updated at least once a week, requiring a (remaining lifetime's) demand of said subscription fees.... There may also, of course, only be one person "tuned in" to the audio book at any given time.... I will just shut up as another, second body presents itself....

The power co will probably come visit, I hope they do.... I had the waterboys here a while back, they kind of left with their tails between their legs when I finished with them.... No holds barred!!

We are lucky to get away with 15Kl a month, comparable to your 500L a day, that's including grey water recycling, the ladies looooove the water, no doubt about it! Before the grey system was installed, we were at about 20-25Kl, sometimes more... But then again, there were 3 guys and 5 gals on the scene, kids and boyfriends thereof....

Fridges: Run the buggers when its hot and bright, drawing off solar, they can coast the night/off hours through, the house is cool evenings anyway... There is pretty much an excess of solar during the day for us, the batteries are damn near full by 17h00 anyways, even with limiting the charge currents to 50A max across 4 banks, ie 13A per bank, each bank 70AH rated, so around 20% of AH rating for charge....

Regarding the heavy duty plug..... In full view from where I sit in the kitchen having dinner..... Ain't no sodding power splitter going in there while I'm around!!

I have had many, many occurrences of implements being left on and unattended.... My standard procedure is: First occurrence-Turn it off and warn offender, Second-Same as first, Third-Don't turn it off and call offender, stand present, tapping foot and glaring while they turn it off, Forth-Unplug device and leave a sarky note, Fifth-Unplug device and make a cup of coffee, place plug in coffee and leave it in there, when question is asked as to why, well, that's where I get creative with explanations.... Sixth-Side cutters on cord at device side..... But that's only happened once so far....

Babbington Heatex: Nope, none of the TM's involved, except by sharing an exhaust stack as a chimney... Bab's pretty much ok, just like to flame out every now and then when I least want it to... (When I'm on the sh!tter or drinking a frosty, or eating a steak, or chatting on the phone, or watching a movie, or eyeing out some beauty....) As long as I'm doing stuff I'm dying to take a break from, it runs faultlessly!

Keep it smiling!!

Cheers
Ed

PS - I did manage to let the smoke out (almost).... One 7Ah gel cell is now ovoid.... It was a "what can I do with these damn things, lets put them on the 24v blowgennie and get some use outta them".... scenario

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 30, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Bravo, Ed, on your huge energy project.  Shifting loads to sunny hours when PV power is in excess takes some seriously good planning...and you have done it well.

I expect that adding some phase change materials (PCM) in panels on the interior walls of the refrigerator, especially, might some day be a common add on.

This UK company has organic PCM they call A6 which freezes at 6 C.
http://www.pcmproducts.net/files/PCM%20Summary%202013-A.pdf
Perhaps something similar available there in ZA?

Only dairy is fussy about temperature, and your freezer to fridge defrost does the same...keeping the fridge cooler overnight.

Great project, Ed!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 31, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
Thanks Bruce!!

Dunno if that stuff is available on the local market.... Not that I know of, I have chatted to a few mates in the aircon/refrig line over similar in the past and it was never mentioned...

Now on to the next project...Looks like my damn deepfreeze is going legs up because the thermal insulation has broken down...eventually... Well, can't really complain, got it second hand for a song about 20 years ago, its had a good innings, probably best to lay it to rest!!

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »

First Fridge/ Freezer I ever heard of needed to be replaced for reasons OTHER than the Compressor stopped working or all the gas had leaked out.

My freezer stopped working when it caught fire about 10 Months ago!   :laugh:

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 31, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »
I found a great use for retired chest freezers.  I put mine outside the shop, and store all my paints, glues, solvents, grease, etc. in it.  It reduced the stink in my closed up shop greatly. It's amazing how ferocious the chemical cloud is when you first open the freezer, even though all those containers are closed and sealed. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:27 AM »

I once had to photograph a new factory facility.
They had a warehouse that was just for paint. Was completely open on 3 sides and the stink of paint was still over powering.  The guy running the place went to great pains to tell me that due to their strict material handling and safety Policys, they had not one mishap when stocking the place.  I remember getting one hell of a look with my thoughtless and off hand comment of the place smelling like there was paint  leaking all over the floors.

Struck me then if this stuff is all in sealed cans, why the heck do they need an open ware house with fans blowing the air around so as not to have any vapor buildups in the place?
I wasn't allowed to use any flash and they were even asking at one stage if I had an underwater housing to put the camera in so as to seal it from being an ignition source.  I pointed to the forklift running round and and was told they all had sealed non sparking motors.  Something I was dubious about but none the less. They only allowed me to photograph from the loading dock, not within the warehouse itself. I was taken for a tour of the place( why I don't know when everything I wanted to shoot and looked interesting was off limits) but they were paranoid about any ignition sources in there.
It was all commercially packaged in boxes ready to go out to the hardware stores AND, at least half was water based.

For a place with zero spillage and no walls, it sure had a thick aroma to the joint.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 01, 2018, 09:06:37 AM »
A good many years ago, I used to have 2 smaller chest freezers...one was left unplugged, and was used to store dry goods, the other was used for its intended purpose. Once a year, or when required, the dry goods unit was unpacked, plugged in and the contents transferred from the other... When the first was fully defrosted and cleaned, it was left off and the dry goods packed into it... That worked extremely well... The insulation had plenty of time to dry out and get back up to spec... Part of the price of living in a damp environment.. Moved to a new house, dryer suburb, the ex decided......well lets just say that not all plans are acceptable to everyone...

Anybody looking for a large chest freezer that could double as a well insulated bedroom....?

Lol
Ed