Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 289602 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #570 on: June 19, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Hey Guys....

Sorry to keep you all in suspense!! That was not the intention at all!!

We survived the storm that didn't really arrive, only for me to go down health-wise with a suspected dose of "knee moan hear"..... (At least it wasn't Small-cox!!)

I been a bit rough lately and making the best of it, playing on everybody's sympathies and getting multiple cups of coffee delivered to close proximity with only a doleful look being required.... I think they are wising up to it now though, the coffee is getting more and more difficult to procure.....

I have been taking it slow, waiting for my system to get back to its normal "abused" self before I jump into the workshop and start throwing bits of steel around properly... The lungs aren't functioning so well and I end up taking about 2 days to do a 2 minute task... Last week I needed to move a sheet of 20mmx2mx1.2m steel plate into a new storage spot and after 5 minutes of work over a 4 hour period, I finally got it done.... Bloody frustrating!!

With all the "taking it easy" though, I have had a bit of fun with the belt grinder I built, made a few sharp, cutty things as tests and they got some commendable oohs and aahs from the family.... And as a bonus, I still have all my appendages intact, no blood offering to the gods of engineering were needed for a change!!

The belt grinder has also been demoted from "Project" to "Tool" status....Its now mounted to the wall on its swing bracket, hooked to the power and fully functional... There is only one or two tiny things that are needed in the attachment arena, but they can wait and will be made as and when they are needed! I did have to do a quick rethink of things while mounting it up.... There are quite a few accessories that were made and the machine went from a simple grinder to quite a complicated basket of bits overnight....

Enough Rambling...

Some 5 minute cutty things and a pic of the whole grinder thingy in its place of rest....

Cheers
Ed

12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 24, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »

We survived the storm that didn't really arrive, only for me to go down health-wise with a suspected dose of "knee moan hear"..... (At least it wasn't Small-cox!!)

Nasty.... I had a dose of that back in 2011 - whilst working away in Turkey for a week. By the time I got back to the UK I could barely walk 20 yards without being out of puff. One night in hospital dosed up to the eyeballs in antibiotics and a week of bed rest and I was more or less OK... but a couple of months later it was back, pneumonia+pleurisy this time, spent 3 weeks in hospital, I was climbing the walls by the time I got out.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 25, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »
Chemtrails Glort! "They" are spraying us from unmarked airplanes with a noxious concoction designed to make us all sick! ::)
"taking off my tinfoil hat now"
All kidding aside, as I am alone most of the time, the things I have been sick with are pinkeye a couple times, and upper respiratory "krud" it seems for a solid year.
I have been attributing my afflictions to the close proximity of my 2yo Granddaughter. Since she goes to a sitter, preschool really, with 20 other kids she, and in turn I catch all the colds and crap that toddlers seem to keep. Well I'm 55, and haven't been around young'uns for a looong time and my resistance is pretty much nil.
Ron.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:46:31 PM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 31, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
Hey Glort!

Glad to see someone is missing me!! Big dollar, Love you long time!!

I'm still here... The kneeemoanhere hammered me quite badly, but I am pretty much up to about 60% speed again, so I have been burning the candle at both ends to try and catch up with the little chores I needed to do, as well as incidental ones that cropped up in the interim...

Lets see... 2xCategory 2 600x600x1800 safes cracked and then 1 restored, the other returned to owner.... Now I just have to find a convenient way of getting this 400kg behemoth up a few stairs and into the house....

Mini fuel cracking/stilling plant assembled, tested, proof of concept done.... Stilled off about 80L of diesel in various grades during the testing, 100% successful, but a smelly yechhy task.... a lot of fun to play with, but not something I would want to do on a regular basis....(For  a living anyway..)

Building another few Babbington burners, I am going to try and incorporate "hybrid" tech in as much as making them gas or oil fired, with the option of switching across to a vaporizing oil burner for longer runs... Ultimate goal for these is a heat treatment furnace and a small knife/blade forge/furnace for my housemate...

I have picked up 2 anvils (figuratively)..... one, a small 1877 farriers anvil with integral vice has been restored and mounted, complete. The other, a 2 1/2 cwt (130kg) John Brooks, has been mounted and chained, but needs the top edge rebuild and a good dressing, this still needs to be done...

That's what I was up to last week....Anything before that kinda pales into insignificance....

The Listeroids....Yep, they are still there.... I run TM2 every now and then as needed, TM1 needs some attention still since his fit (aka seizure)... I will get around to him once the decks are cleared a bit...

The flatlet reno's are pretty much completed on stage one.... Stage two which is the replacement and extension of the little sunroom/porch roof, can wait a bit... I am not quite as steady as I would like to be and the ladder height falls right in my "scares the crap outa me" zone.... (Up to 1.5m, no problem, fall off and bruise. 1.5-4m, big problem, major injury or lifetime disability in store, this is the "scare the crap outa me" zone. 4m and up, no problem, you fall off, you are dead, someone else's problem...Lol)

Enough rambling....

Time to carry on playing "ketchup"...

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 11, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
Hey Glort,

Are you into your new place yet? Powerlines and utilities suitably disconnected? Listers and Changfas and Cogen and Solar and Oil heaters up and running? Borehole sunk and Wind turbine up yet? Lounge and diningroom converted to workshop and indoor shooting range yet? Neighbors moved out because of "that nutter next door is gonna level the suburb" yet?

All is kewl here...or hot, depanding on the proximity to the burners I built.... I had forgotten how self-satisfying it was to go out to the forge in the evening, frosty in hand, fire it up.... Gaze lovingly at the whispy romantic flames licking gently out the opening while warming a piece of EN45 to a nice cuddly white hot glow..... Then beating the living snot outta the bugger to the faint memories of the day's troubles disappearing into the task at hand.... Can't wait for the housing development to start alongside to the farm...I will have about 2000 surprised faces at 10pm looking out of windows wondering how the industrial revolution suddenly got revived!!

I have been "tinkering" around a bit lately and sorting out the workshop this side too... A lot of the "junk" that has been lying around it has been "consolidated" into working kit... For example: Old pipe fittings+Old Gas Bottle=Forge, Old hydraulic tank+Old submersible coolant pump=Fuel supply for forge, Old pipe fittings+Old brass cupboard door handles+some old 1/4" copper pipe=Burners for forge.... Old offcuts of EN45+Forge+Small hardwood block offcuts=Some pretty useful kitchen knives and other bladed things... Old crowbar(with broken end)+forge=New crowbar!! The list goes on and on...So much fun, so little time!

I did relent and buy a replacement wood band saw the other day.... Stupidly, some years back, I gave mine to a mate who was starting a small business... Also managed to pick up a little electric scroll saw for finicky things...

TM1...? Well, he is still sitting and staring at me dolefully while I been hammering out the some toys...I will get around to sorting him out soon....(I Hope)...

On a slightly different note, but one of joint interest, the burners I made up are "hybrid" if that's the correct term, Babbington and Vaporizing burners... I haven't got round to running them at full tilt on a larger task yet, but initial tests look great. They are conventional Bab's with the capability of forced air from the rear - Light em up on the Bab's and once warmed up (If long burner tubes or a combustion chamber is used), switch off the air flow to the Bab section and turn on the blower while still feeding in fuel over the Bab ball... this juice then gets carried into the heated chamber and really gets the temp up.... How's that one for different? .... Oh, btw, they also can run as propane burners too.... Just shut down the oil flow and switch from compressed air to LPG... The rear vent holes draw enough air in to get things working quite well!! The only fiddly bit in making them up was getting a hole size that suits the average of air/gas flow for dual operation.... It ended up to be a nice round figure of .75mm diameter in the Bab ball....

Here's a pic of the thing being test fired and a couple of pics of the burners and the fuel tank with pump (The rear air feed adapters aren't in place on the burners, I re-appropriated the fittings for another task..).... (And a little one hour free form toy blade I made from scratch, forged, ground and then furnished!....which I cant attach because it goes past the 4 file limit....)

Lol...i will sneak in a solitary pic on the next post .... Man, the admins are such tolerant, brilliant guys to allow topic drift!! I wish all the forums I have ambled around were like this one!!

Ade & Co. - Thanks for the leniency!! (And it goes without saying, thanks heaps for all the admin you put in to keep this an enjoyable little cyber-nook!)

Keep on thumping...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 11, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
That little "sneak pic" post I alluded to in previous post...

Sorry about the pic quality.... Good camera on phone, bad eyes on operator!!

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »
Hey Glort,

One of the most stressful things for a guy is moving house and home.... I feel for you!!

On the bright side, look at all the lovely stuff you have rediscovered!! I get that everytime I walk into a storeroom round here.... Although, the other day, I was moaning about a large woodworking vice that I was looking for and couldnt track down.... The chap I was chatting to got a perplexed look on his face and said...."But you gave that vice to me about 10years ago, remember, when you moved office...." ..... Sure enough, it sparked off a twinkle of light in the dim, distant past and I remembered passing it on to him..... Sheepishly, I changed tack and found something else to moan about losing.... Luckily, there was nobody present that had been given given the next item!!

Currently I am "Consolidating Projects" .... That is a larny way of saying of putting scrap bits together to make another pile of scrap, sometimes usable, mostly interesting, but at least all the little scrap bits get put together into a single, easily portable unit! Last night, for example, I put together the basic chassis and bits to make a "Hot Roller" for my housemate. If it works according to my plan, it will be a manual hot steel roller to draw out stock to make blade blanks for some knife-smithing he wants to do.... The parts came from various old scrap piles and I was surprised at the lack of new parts requirement for the little, but heavy beast.... Unfortunately, there is no way to test the concept for me without pretty much completing the little bugger... But hey, if it doesn't work, it will make a very interesting mechanised anchor.... Its heavy enough!!

Steam Punk Bathroom..... Brings to mind "Bloody Stupid Johnson's" invention at the Unseen University.... All hail Pratchett!! .... I have a small and pretty much unused balcony leading off of my main bedroom... I have been collecting antique bathware to install an old CI ball and claw bath with exposed copper piping and the like ... I thought I was the only nutter around....

Enough rambling....

Time to try and earn a few bucks to feed the various mechanical habits I have....

Keep on splashing.....

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 15, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Hey Guys,

In the spirit of being way off topic... (as usual)... and recycling all the bitso junk I have around here, I put together an interesting device over the last couple of weeks in my spare time...

It started off with the "great workshop clean out" and is the continuation of the consolidation of piles of scrap into the little projects I have had in mind over the last while (read that as 25 years worth of collecting crap and clogging the basements)...

After tripping over hydraulic rams and piping, off cut 20mm steel plate, and an old "knuckle press" in the one storeroom, I finally had enough and decided to put them together into something that required less than a gallon of sweat to operate and put to use. What I came up with was a cute and compact little 300kg block of welded bits that puts out about 15000kg of press force on low setting at 75mm stroke on low setting and goodness knows how much force at about 40mm of stroke at high setting (Haven't played in this arena yet)... All in a compact bench top unit about 1/2m tall and less in width and depth.

I have needed a decent press for a while now, the bodily joints are playing up and its kinda painful even working the chuck on the lathe, embarrassing to say the least!! Hammer work gives me aches and pains for days after, the elbows et al are not what they used to be!!

The press itself is a hydro-mechanical unit, with a "rocker arm" with 2 positions for the fulcrum. This effectively doubles the force but halves the stroke. The ram runs at 150mm stroke and is about 4" in diameter, the working pressure I am limiting it to is around 80bar, but I have tested it to 110bar with no ill effect. The power pack/tank unit is one that has been lying around for ages and can be coupled to anything needing a squirt of oil to get moving, I only need to install a pair of quick-couplers still to make it fully portable.

I do see, in the not too distant future, a small mod coming up on TM2 that will incorporate a hydraulic pump and compressor into his workings, to allow for full workshop operation off grid, something that I had not accounted for in his initial put-together. Has anybody on the forum done similar yet?

Here are a couple of pics of ELP (Evil Little Press) before I paint him up and hide all my crappy welding!!

And here is a link to a folder where there are a couple of vids of him squashing various things during testing... Sorry about the "jitters" but my camera lady was one of the daughters... She is quite "jumpy" (having been living here for the past few years, I wonder why?)... http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/ELP 20170915

An interesting little toy to have access to, and something that has been way overdue....

As to TM1, he stares dolefully at me, still waiting for me to do his rings and cylinder...... But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Keep on squishing!!

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 22, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Hey Guys,

After a looooong absence from the keyboard, I have finally got something more in line to post... Okay, not a Lister(oid) type post, but at least, not like my more recent ramblings, something to do with diesel engines and gensets....

I finally (after I guess about 3 years) got down to rebuilding my DEK5000 auto-start silent runner diesel genset. Uncle Dek got a major belting by a ground lightning strike quite a while back - It took out the alternator, some of the switching hardware and generally made him quite grumpy and useless!!

This past weekend I wheeled him out to the workshop and did a full post-mortem on him... (bear in mind that he went to two local emporiums for refurbishment as was required by insurance, and both of them pronounced him DOA and not worth the mixed weight of scrap metal... Which of course prompted me to build TM1 a good while ago.)

Well, what an interesting weekend it was... Yes the alternator as a whole was pretty knackered, but the windings are good, no shorts to earth or leakage noted whatsoever - the problem with it (its a brushless unit) is that one of the diodes on the armature is a bit leaky and breaking down - full current is not a possibility with this going on. The second problem is that the capacitor on the exciter winding is really crappy and leaky electrically too - This causes slow energizing of the main fields etc and lack of energizing altogether if the revs drop slightly below the 50hz mark.... Both very easy problems to sort out... But hey, in for a penny... more on this later....

As to the switching hardware that got blown out....Well, Uncle Dek is not exactly standard, one of the first things to get tossed out and replaced with something decent was the crappy DPDT switch-over relay that auto switches between Mains and Gen when he gets fired up... The original shitty relay was replaced with 2x well over-rated Omron contactors on a din rail behind the front fascia.... One contact was burned out on one of them so it required moving the wires to the spare contact (3 phase contactor of which only 2 sets of contacts are used on single phase) and all is well.... While I was at it, I installed a hour/watt/amp/frequency/volt meter through the fascia so I can tell what is happening at a glance.... All good so on to the next niggly bit....

The exhaust/tailpipe was touching against and vibrating the back cover, so I took a look at that with the 10t press and got that re-aligned (Thanks mister fetch and carry courier for bending it)... An exhaust leak was fixed and sorted.... Do those little hexagonal things on the exhaust studs really have to be tightened?

On to the other side of the unit.... Hmmm....that silly little square box with thick cables bolted to it looks way too small for comfort...Extend the tray and put a smallish car battery in, a little Vaseline and it fits/slips in quite easily... Oh look, there is space on the door for a couple of female "banana sockets"... lets stick them in while we are at it so the battery can be charged and topped off without opening the thing up... Am I the only twit that has this problem? .... Aaaaah, while I am at it, and the drain is accessible, lets throw out the sump gunk and stick in some nice new syrup....done!!

Right....now that poor old alternator, what to be done here? ...(Of course, by this stage, I have confirmed that everything else, ie the niggly bits, are all in operation, engine starts and runs as well as holds revs stably )... Lo and behold, lying under my bench is an old Wally-Mart alternator that I converted to belt drive a year or 3 ago by employing a bit of band-sawery and Lathery and removed the suck-squeeze-bang-blow pieces.... I wonder if it will fit? Sure as nuts, it strips the same, bolts the same, tapers the same onto the crankshaft.... only difference is that this bugger is from a 6.5kva petrol and it has an AVR, and its brushed, and it only has one,not two 14vAc windings for internal charging/external 13.8 supply... Stuffit, close enough, in it goes!!

Well, after a good dose of genset proctology - These silent runners need a degree in plumbing to get the ducting on/off/not rattling, I got the "new alt" in and spinning - Set voltage, set frequency, load test....all ok!

A good bit of workshop social with the mates popping in and out (Naturally sporting a carry in of a couple of cold ones, they were not turned away I might add, the weather was around 38C and 95% RH...) Uncle Dek was pampered, spruced, fueled and carried back to his place of residence after a good few hours of testing...

The only thing left to do, should I decide I want to that is, is to put a fascia changeover switch in to select internal/external DC charging....Buggrit, that can wait till another day.....

I fell into the shower last night only too glad for a forthcoming restful Monday at work!!

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

PS- Guys, sorry I haven't responded directly to any of your comments and writings of late, life has just been so much fun out here in the real world, I have been a bit remiss!!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 23, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
Hey Glort,

The timing on my DEk doesnt seem too far out - It has rubber engine mountings, and barring startup and shutdown, there is little shake, even for a single cyl hi speed diesel - Startup and shutdown are another matter though, the engine uses the elastic limit of the mountings to the full, the high compression and low speed make it a beast indeed....

TM1 is still staring at me dolefully from his glass castle, begging for my attention.... I tactfully and respectfully avert my eyes whenever I pass him by... TM2 loves long runs in the dark, no leash required, he is on 4xthin motorcycle tyre tread type pads, not for vibration, but to stop his footsies from getting wet as there is a thin sheet of water that trickles through underneath him when it rains... He is well behaved, has 2x sets of flywheels on as mentioned previously, and runs at a mere 650 rpm or so(Hardly any flicker on the lights, and the APC ups's like him too)... I regularly draw 3 to 4kw from him and have yet to have him roll the coal properly.... His cooling is a 200L drum, thermosyphon, with cooling jackets on the exhaust as well... The longest I have run him was around 12hrs at a single stretch, the coolant wasnt boiling even though it was a fairly warm day/evening, but he runs on demon-dyno and seems to like it ....

Currently I am playing yo-yo with a ladder, me being the yo-yo, the ladder being the string....My damn room aircon has decided that the best place to deposit condensed water is directly over one of my "ornament shelves" in the main bedroom... A right PITA as the "ornaments" happen to be some of my more pricey, not the cheap shitty, Gamo and SamYung PCP and underlever springer 4.5 an 5.5mm air rifles...Grrrr...lotsa cleaning and oiling in my immediate future... well, at least the predicted thunderstorms arent here while I am replacing the piping on the outside wall.... Until I unspool the electric lead and get the drill out... Surefire way to get it to rain!! (While I am at it, I am installing a small catch tank to catch the distilled condensed water from the aircon, I am sure that it will be a bit better for topping off batteries and the like than rainwater....

Right....let me get to it.... Enough of this rambling...time to fix my comfort cooler!!

Keep it spinning

Cheers
Ed

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #580 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »
.............I want to test an idea for putting a " wetback" on a panel. Thinking of getting some wood strips and silicone them on to the back of a panel.  Coat copiously in waterproof marine varnish and put a lid on it with an in and out fitting and some wood strips in the middle to make the water travel .
Should heat the water and keep the panel cooler.  Water could go through a HE for domestic hot water or through a radiator for home heating.
Reckon there could be a lot of energy to be gained in something like that. 

Don't be surprised if it's a looser.  You are not the first to think of it.  Several points to think through:
Water mixed with electricity
power usage of the pump
thermal losses
corrosion issues with PV panel vs cooling fluid
extra weight
failure modes - loosing coolant or pump power
thermal expansion of different materials causing stress

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2018, 02:34:07 AM »
it's been done before:    google : hybrid PV water heater panels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_thermal_hybrid_solar_collector
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261915010958
http://www.tessolarwater.com/zeuspv-t.html

But nobody makes any with long term success, that are affordable.

The tedlar (white plastic back sheet) has a very thin EVA adhesive that directly glues it to the backside of the silicon wafers.  How much extra weight that can carry is unknown.

Good luck, you know what to look out for.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 09, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
Honey.....I'm Home!!

Well, after TM1 dolefully staring at me over the last few months, I finally decided to whip off his lid and take a look see at what is ailing him... (Guys - don't die of shock, I am still around, still kicking, still blowing things up for fun!!)

Sum total of interesting observances so far - (Haven't opened the bottom end up yet, so maybe a bit more to come...)

Exhaust valve - not seating properly, much hissing, wheezing and blowing... Probably the greatest reason for non starting.
Head and IDI chamber - Well and truly gunked up, lots of wet carbon deposits - bad combustion was happening for sure.
Cylinder walls - very smooth, no scoring immediately evident, but the top section has some definite nasties happening around where the last inch or so of the travel for the top ring(s) do their thing - It is usable, but I think I will resleeve it for good measure and drop in a new piston as well... I will probably be able to rebore the cylinder and I have a couple of fancy-schmancy ideas I want to try and incorporate on the piston - things like raised lands adjoining the ring grooves, teflon button/strips on the piston skirt to name but a couple, but also, just maybe, I might try and make up a steel insert to hold the top ring in place for shitz and giggles, kinda goes with the whole "crude fuel" theme... Depends on how much time I find to play!! (Anything done to it will only make it better than it currently is...)

I have just got word from my spares supplier, cost of spares for the upper rebuild (Head Gasket, Piston. Sleeve, Rings and Small End bushing come to about 25% of a new engine... Not overly cheap, but would rather have my modded sub assembly over a new one - Hands down!

Well, Lets see what tomorrow brings - I am going to pull off the cyl and take a good gander at the mod I did to the piston (I added a double top ring to see how it would stand up to crewdfewl...). Unfortunately, due to the seize when the oil pump packed up, the wear would be "somewhat accelerated". But, that being said, TM1 still laboured on digesting nasty stuff for a good couple of hours after being unceremoniously unseized by farm style levers and a good dollop of lube down his nose!!

Enough rambling - time to go do something different for a while(Water the garden).... Oh yes, I have been quite busy - a goodly sized veggie garden has been bush cleared, ploughed, rotivated, planted, irrigated weeded, irrigated, weeded, irrigated, irrigated irrigated, weeded, irrigated and is now being harvested....

Holy shite.... Time flies!!

Keep on harvesting...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
Hey Glort,

Was running WI until the last stroke... He seized due to a oil pump problem and wasnt the same compression wise after the unceremonious levering with a crow bar to get him moving again... Compression was a "bit down" and he started to roll coal through incomplete combustion - no amount of WI could keep him alive after that and he just gradually carboned up and got too difficult to start, even with an electric starter - too much blow by....

I am gonna take him back to standard rings/sleeve config, then play with the worn stuff and rebuild them if I can... will be interesting I think... I have done teflon/ptfe piston guide buttons before, also in 2 strokes, removes a lot of side clatter but did wear after a while, they were hot runners on methanol/nitro mix - scary power and revs from 125 size machines... The scariest was a 50cc Yamahaha engine we got up to about 20k rpm... a real screamer!!

TM2 is on DemonD - recyclyed and reclaimed from previously water contaminated, going well and used in a  backup power roll....

Get those wheels spinning properly! Once you get them off I can give you a few hints to get the beast running smoother than ever, at various rpm - well worth it too  - It seems a daunting task, but I have found, once done, its almost easier to pop the wheels off before moving the machine in fact!

Keep it spinning,

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 10, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
Hey Guys,

Right...so went to play with the toys and took the head apart, the exhaust seating valve seating was a bit crappy/leaky... Interesting!

The exhaust valve itself is not in bad shape, a bit of stem wear, but nothing too serious. The seat on the other hand, is BAD! (With a capital F!!)

The seat is crazed and pitted, way beyond what I would call usable (Bear in mind, usable to me is a pretty lenient term!) I have just called up a local bunch and asked them for a quote to cut out and reseat it, will find out in a few minutes...

The inlet on the other hand, is perfect, hardly any wear, little to no evidence of any nasties at all... I think, that the goop TM1 has been running on probably has not only a solid residue in the form of fine abrasive when burnt, but might also be somewhat acidic in nature once gone boom... The exhaust seat has bad corrosion and is starting to back into the head, around one mm in fact...

A year or 2 back, TM1 had a similar problem before... I simply put TM2's head on and kept going, subsequently, the original head was refurbished and installed on TM2, no problems since... but... then again, he only runs intermittently on DemonD anyway... It seems as if the CI on both the heads I have is not particularly strong and fine....very large grained and high in carbon to boot... Also, one must remember, the by-products of the goopfuel are pretty nasty, so a bit of leeway is in order...

Ah, the local boys have just called with a quote... ZAR470 to cut out and replace the seat... a bit steep I think, but hey, someone has borrowed my seat cutter and they haven't returned it yet (and I cant remember who it was anyway), so stuffit, contract it out!!

Right.... Still haven't gotten round to pulling the cyl off yet...I am almost tempted to redo the head and slap it back on for a bit of a trial run to see if he will start and run for a while... There is not much that can be stuffed up further than it is, barring the bottom end which is at a greater risk standing open than closed up anyway....(An oil/filter/fuel filter change and flush wouldn't be a bad idea too..)

In the meantime, I think I will go over the injector and pump, setup the timing and check the IP lobe... There might be a bit of a problem there, but hey, all good fun! Plenty to tinker with!! (Not to mention the leak in the radiator which is going to be a real PITA to get to!)

Lets see what the whims and fancies lead me to.....

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed