Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 289531 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
Hi Ed

Found yours, Nice, but what are they for?

Thingummies is nice but vague!

I made my hollow dipper from an old bolt with a cordless drill, hack saw and a file

I'd love a lathe, best I can do is the drill press and a 1mm slitting disc in the angle grinder.

If there's anyone south of Limoges with one too many.........

I'll try something else......

Cheers Stef

PS. Basil looks like the way ahead!

S
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
Hey Stef,

I am always trying to use old 2l bottles for disposable reservoirs for fuel or chem... These adaptors found temp usage as a fuel and oil supply on the mini cracker and have already been stripped off it, cleaned and washed, and their attached tanks disposed of. .....

They are back in the drum of fittings, ready to be used on the next liquid experiment....

As an aside, I ended up restoring a set of antique operating theatre spotlights this afternoon, stand and all.... They have now been placed in my lounge and connected up as a very 'steam punk' reading light behind my favourite sofa where I occasionally sit and read in the evening...

Pics here: http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Theatre Lights/ ... Excuse the mess, the pics were taken in my one workshop just before I moved them into the house... Although, being a bachelor, sometimes the projects do tend to end up in the main house during restoration... The end result is that the workshops end up neater than the lounge!

Keep it lit!

Cheers
Ed

PS ... That last pic came thru 100's... Nice mod!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:08:32 AM by EdDee »
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 16, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »
Hey Guys...

Another mini-update....

Stripped down TM2 yesterday and got ready to move him to his final home, about 5m linear and about 300000m over bulldozer, around the blade and up against the wall... While I was at it, I gave him a good clean off and a coat of QD enamel on his chassis and dangly bits... Ever seen a chassis in white?

The move went smoothly, albeit tedious, after about 10hrs of sweating it out alone I got him stripped, painted, moved and assembled... I was so knackered at the end of this, I didn't even empty the paint out of the gun when I was finished or close the tin of paint properly.... Bugger.... I am off to do that now!!

Pics here: www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/TM2 Final Chassis Paint and Setup

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 18, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »
Hey Guys...

Another "Rant and Rave"!!

Its taken me two days to fit a pulley on a 3-phase motor, install a mains lead, pop on a belt and tension it!! That must be a world record!! Surely!!

With telephone calls, staff needing guidance, small jobs coming in and various other distractions, it never fails to amaze me how time can get away from reality!!

But, at least, it was small steps forward with only minor stumbles backward during the time in question...

Right, so the 3 phase 7.5kw electric motor is installed and belted up. Running it open circuit, on diesel power, shows little increased drag on the motor. I took the time, before dropping it into the chassis, to zip start it and spin it up to check mechanical condition and unloaded current draw. The unloaded current it pulled was in the region of round .9A at 230V, giving about 1/4Kw (Not taking into consideration the power factor of course). Interestingly, with dry bearings, it pulled about .7A and after a pump or two of grease, the current came up to about .9A...

Of course, with everything belted up, tensioned and installed, I couldn't resist bringing it online for a brief Net-Metering test...

It looks as if my initial guesstimate of around 7-10% increase in rpm over the 1500 "no drag speed" is pretty much spot on. (Pulleys look perfect for the job!!) To test the whole gubbins, I disconnected the genhead output and started TM2. I then held his revs well below the 50hz mark and switched in the induction motor into the mains feed to the building. This resulted in about a 5A draw from utility power as I measured it on the clamp meter. I slowly increased revs on TM2 and the current draw dropped accordingly. At about 90% of running rev, the clamp meter showed pretty much buggerall in the line of current flowing to or from the induction motor/utility power... As I allowed TM2 to come up to full operating speed slowly, the clamp meter showed a gradual increase in current flow up to around 10A. Slowing TM2 down, the current fell away to 0 and then increased again as the revs dropped away even further. up to a maximum of around 5A. Speeding TM2 up again, it followed the same pattern.... Next task is to get a cheapie twirly-whirly meter and install it on the induction side of things to see how it pans out!! (The clamp meter gives no indication of current direction, only current flow.) Presently the induction motor is in wye configuration, I am tempted to change it to delta to see the increase/decrease/whatever effect - My target of 10A/2.5Kw is met by the present configuration though, so maybe I should just let it stay as is!! (Also on plan is to hook my scope up to the mains lines and see what ripple or interference is generated by the induction motor coupling.)

Keep it smoking....

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Hey Guys,

As mentioned previously, "The devil finds work for idle hands..."

I have been mulling over a few ideas and would like to put them out there, for opinions and viewpoints from "Ye learned gents..."

TM2 has both net metering and prime mover capabilities, hot water capable, but stand alone and not connected into the house hot water supply(maybe never) - TM1 is prime mover and hot water only.... To maintain perspective, a summary: TM1 is mostly waste oil fueled and the cheaper beast to run from a fuel perspective, he is also coupled to hot water generation, which he does very well with. TM1 requires a "donkey start" from 220VAC, which is either provided by utility, TM2, or orange screamer depending on what is happening and available...

My Idea so far (Also, putting things down to type gets my grey matter more organised...) ....

Couple TM1 and 2 into an auto-changeover box, similar to what I have currently put together for swopping over from utility to TM1... The current changeover unit will reside at TM1, in his enclosure, and a "newer and better" (maybe) box installed to do the auto-swop and load monitoring with generator/utility duties.

The logical layout I would like, would be pretty much operating in the following manner:

TM1 - When he is online, he will take over the full building load from utility. He would have overload monitoring and load dumping should he go over 4.5Kw.
TM2 - When utility power is in a failed condition, he can be 12v battery started (Stamford Starter/Genhead installed) to take over and get things up and running (He is not an auto start unit.) - TM1 can then be started by the 220V and take over the load on an auto switch over, TM2 will then be unloaded and coasting. When this happens, I would like the option of TM2 being able to auto switch into net-metering mode should I elect. Should I require, due to workshop power demands (welding etc), I would like to run both TM1 and 2 simultaneously using the induction generator on TM2 to assist with the loading. (In fact, there is another little 5Kw diesel auto-start screamer that I have mentioned as the "orange screamer", that could also be brought into the big picture as well, where TM2 is concerned as a net-metering unit. The orange screamer is for those nasty 2am to 6am failures we often have... If nothing else, he makes a damn good alarm clock to get up and start TM1!!)

Damn.... the more I think about the various options, the more complex it becomes....

Effectively it boils down to 3 gen units -
TM1 - needs 220v to start and makes power and hot water, cheap to run.
TM2 - manual start on 12v, makes power at 220v, can also be coupled via induction generator.
Orange screamer - This off-pissingly noisy piece of "DEK Silent Runner 6000" is anything but... But he is auto-start with mains monitoring and he does work well for the early morning hours when power fails and he is diesel....

How would you gents hook these three units, plus utility, into a nice little birds nest to play together?

Keep on scheming...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2017, 09:04:24 AM »
Hey Glort,

First answer:
First Purpose - TM1 - Waste Oil recycling and cogen - TM2 - Backup for TM1 iro power gen, hot water outlets fitted, but unused at this stage, possibly full cogen backup later - Orange screamer - well, its just there and I would rather keep it hooked up as its a nice compact unit rather than sell it....

Second:
Outages are quite often, and power bill reduction. As well as gas bill reduction for water heating. Sufficient power is available from the grid, so no bolstering really required. Net metering is not available in our area as yet.

3rd:
I have the brush kit for fitting to the hoffman genhead on TM1, to allow for 24v start, but havent fitted it yet... the 220V starter works really well, takes little over 800W to start TM1 so even the little 900Va (unmentioned previously) 2stroke gen can start it at a push... TM2 is semi permanently hooked to the DB, same for orange, so 220V is generally available even during an outage to start TM1.

4th:
TM1 is on jungle-juice(anything that burns) and TM2 is indeed on satan-fuel....

5th:
Actually....Probably...Greatest reason...Slo-Mo diesels are so much fun!! And since I have them, may as well put them to useful work!!

6th:
System integration - I love getting things to "work together" .... Each of the individual gensets is mostly capable, with a little management, to run the show quite adequately... I do like the concept of "belt and braces" to keep reliability up. Also nice to have a simple system that is non-electronic-automated due to frequent lightning problems in this area (Power lines/House/property has been struck at least 10x, probably more in the last 25years I have been here... Dropping Mains and running old style gen during thunderstorms seems to be the way to go...so far) Come to think of it, the reason I started back on the old style lister/genhead system was due to a direct hit about 2 or 3 years back...Killed the Orange screamer quite effectively...I am still waiting for a regulator to arrive to finalise his repair, now that TM1 and 2 are fully up and going...(Had and emergency petrol screamer for donkey start but sold it to a co-worker about 3 weeks back)

I am quite interested, at this stage of the game, to hear what others are doing to simplify the operation when they have a varied bunch of primes and assisters to hook up to db... I have a rough plan in mind, but I like to "steal with my eyes and ears" first to get as many options as possible.... Who knows, maybe there are guys out on the forum that have done this already!

Agreed re the re-config, but being a lazy fart, I hate doing the job twice... So much better to hack out an idea over a few evenings and  pints with the mates, grab the tools and then do it a bit later, all done, no changes needed...Smile!!

Keep it spinning,

Cheers
Ed

PS - Eeeeek.... Just opened my email and got the quote I been waiting for from my tame builder/construction laddie.... We are renovating a section of the workshop(that was a flatlet originally) and converting it back to residential ..... I guess when I sign this thing, Listers are gonna be a little lower on the spending list for a while.... Bread and water is going to be the order of the day until around June.....2199....!

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 27, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
Bearings are proof there can be too much of a good thing. At work the temperature of the motor generator set bearings increase for a few hours after a fresh grease job. The bearings and housings have a port and catch can to handle the extra lube that is causing the increase in drag.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 02, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »
Hey B&D

Agreed, but then you know what they say... "Too much of a good thing........IS BLOODY MARVELOUS!!"

Been a bit busy with the builders lately, hence the lack of posts from my side... Things are coming together on the flatlet, walls and windows broken out, moved and windows now in the process of being replaced.... I thought we had a dust problem here before...that was nothing compared to now!!

Sat smiling last night...another power outage, this one lasted only about 3 to 4 hrs in total, but the local monkey-pality have got it down to a fine art!! Currently I run TM1 about an hour or two a day on cogen duties, mostly late afternoon/early eve... They time the power drop out to just after he is shut down and we sit down to supper... Clever buggers!! I am sure they wait for me to stop sending up smoke signals...that's the time for them to hit the switch!

While he was running last night I took a starlit walk around the property, man it was dark!! We were the only place with "real" power in about a 5km radius... Here and there there were the odd little lantern flickers, but on the whole it was really dark and peaceful!!

Reminds me...I gotta go and mix some sump-gunk into his tank...he's getting a bit low...

From the previous post, it looks like there aren't many guys out there running multiple genheads connected to their single DB board...or are there?

Right, time to go stir the pot and dump some oil!!

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 09, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
Hey Glort... And the rest of the brethren out there too...

Apologies for being a bit "absent" of late.... I bet that my disappearance for a while has led to people staring into the distant horizons and questioning under their breath as to "whether that silly fool has blown himself up eventually and permanently as yet".... Well, bad news guys... I am still here, carrying on with a teenagers' mind in a pretty bent and buckled body!! Nothing (besides the standard blood letting in new projects) has written me off yet!!

Hows it going with the house hunting Glort? any luck yet....started packing yet?

If you read earlier up in this thread, we have had builders on site since around the beginning of the month - we are making my one workshop a bit smaller (by about 60m sq) and converting the reclaimed area into a small self contained flatlet (with sunroom and back patio overlooking the valley). I have pretty much given up on trying to keep all the odds n sods that I had lying around in my workshop... After about the millionth box/crate/armload of carrying back and forth to clear space for the builders, I eventually had an epiphany.... A mate was visiting and he had his bakkie (read that as ute, Glort, the rest of the world can read it as pickup) parked about halfway between where I was moving all the crap from, to where I was moving all the junk to.... Needless to say, 3 bakkie loads later and a good few pints to wash the dust away, we had the bulk cleared out and the builders could go and make a further mess in peace...

Here are some pics of the current progress - these chaps are quite quick, brilliant to deal with and honest as the day is long (unlike the rest of the population in this area). This is the progress after one week of going at it, bearing in mind that about half the time they have been dodging rainstorms, so I don't think they have done too badly at all!http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/Flat Renovations Feb2017/

Well, you might ask, what does this have to do with Lister(oid)s .... Absolutely nothing!! Except that it allowed me to sneak some new IBR sheeting into the budget to shleld TM2 from the elements....  :angel:

Keep it spinning!!

Cheers
Ed

PS - The toilet still has to be turned 90 degrees if anybody was wondering how on earth it could be used like it is!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:39:30 AM by EdDee »

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 10, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »
Hi Glort,

I must say.... I am impressed with the property: Luscombe Road Grasmere - All one level, no stairs to fall down in the dark after a few brews LOL, and plenty of space on the sides/back for little "engine houses" - Wish my spot was like that!! - A bit of a slope to the land, but not excessive either!! Very neat and in good condition too by the looks of it...!

I have come to a conclusion - Even though its a mate of mine that's the building contractor, I have had enough..... I cant wait for them to finish and move offsite so we can do the niggly cleanup bits.... Enough dust already!!

The reno's are coming along well though - still cant get to my lathe/tig/welding area yet - its being used as a temp spot to accumulate dust and wind blown sand.... When all is undercoated, and only then, will the main cleanup begin. The last 2 windows went into the flatlet today, now its only the 2 back windows on the house to do mid coming week, by then the tiling should also be completed on the flatlet too.... Then I can start playing properly.... starting with installing the electrical and plumbing into the flat.... in the words of Droopy Dog.... Woohoo....Hold me back!

On another note, the little watt/volt/current/hour meters arrived a day or so ago... The are cute and compact, lets hope they work! I might just force myself to install one in TM2 this weekend to see if it does the trick... Should be quite quick, just a little square hole to cut in his dog-kennel on the alternator and it should be done!! I will report back if I get round to it.

Other than dust, dust, dust, sand and more dust.... Nothing much has been happening... Except that in the planning on the reno's it looks like we will have enough labor time left over to include some of the semi-final work on  the structural side of the underground shooting range we are putting in below the house... Now that's a project that is coming up soon that I am really excited about!! Cant wait to use some of my single-cylinder-disposable-piston-engines down there!! (Damn...Just realized how much I hate stairs...Now this heap I live in will be 3 floors to navigate....)

Keep it spinning....

Cheers
Ed

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #505 on: February 11, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
She said " Put it this way, you'd never have to water the garden or lawn here, the place is floating with that many amendments and remedial work being done and it's not completed yet."

At least it's fresh water and not a sewage leak !

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
Hey Glort,

Its taken me about 10 years to "dry out" my house - The water table here is quite high, seldom does it go below about 2m down... It appears that the bulk of the water in my area seems to be from runoff, with a small subterranean stream that horseshoes around the main house and down into the open fields. Cellars were waterlogged with frogs and fish swimming around initially (No BS - Really!!)

The bulk of the problems came from when the place stood derelict about 25 years ago, since then I have repaired all the guttering, removed the tall pine trees that were overhanging the buildings and installed rainwater catch tanks - About a dozen or so 5000L tanks all in - we now harvest the water and it keeps us going for about 9 to 10 months of the year, sometimes more... This has dried the ground up and the basements are now usable for things other than breeding fish or growing mushrooms!! Interestingly, we have a pond in the back yard that has a 2" crack down the middle due to a bit of settling of the ground over the years - It is virtually impossible to empty it as the lower foot or so is in the water table pretty much all year round, a bit of an eyesore, but labelled for a "future project"!!

I am really tempted to sink a small well in the back yard - I doubt whether I will need to go down much more than a five or six metres to get a good bit of water, but then, with all the harvesting, is there really a point?

Pity about your problems you are coming up with on the spots you are looking at, but then again, you are a fussy bugger too!! (Don't worry, this is meant in the fondest of ways, and a label that has been applied to me too every now and then - The sign over my front door says it all: FIFO - it stands for "Fit In or F Off!!)

Keep on searching!!

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
Hey Glort....

The weather is crappy here at the moment....Bliss.... The builders have pulled off site due to the wet weather... Dust turns to mud, mud turns to an irritated owner when he looks at his workshop and all tools are a uniform brown, not just mud but rust!

I am going to have one hell of a clean up job to do when all this is done for... Any volunteers?

It appears we are mentally tele-pathetic... I am in process of getting things together while the workshops are unusable, to install the start of a "vegetable patch". We have an area of around 15m x 10m that was used many years ago - now overgrown but can be easily weeded out and re-seeded - My intention is to put some 5m poles around the thing, string up some welded mesh we have lying around to fence it off, install some temp insulators and bridge it into our electric fence which passes close by... The poles will be strong enough to be clad with shade cloth later  and roofed with it too, to create an almost tropical environment for veggies and other worm food! (there will of course be a bit of creative irrigation done from our grey water system while we are at it...) Again, what does this have to do with Listers.... Nothing.... But I will be using an old Gravely 2 wheel tractor that I redid many years ago... It has a 10hp Kohler with a rotary plow, a sickle bar mower, rotary brush cutter and a rotivator... Handy and just the right size for the job...

TM1 and TM2 are currently dozing at the moment, I have about 60L of fuel settling and waiting for TM1 - A "special blend" of "WTF is this stuff" added to a little "this looks like old turps" with a dash of "I'm sure this was the old diesel out the bulldozer". For good measure I added some "yep this is defs petrol and 2 stroke oil for the weedwhacker I mixed up 2 years ago" and its almost ready to use... (ie As soon as I can get to the fuel container and drain some out, because there is around 1000Kg of ceramic floor tiles packed in front of it waiting for the tilers to come and consume hopefully next week...)

I cant seem to find a reliable source of cheap, disposable filter cartridges for the fuel processor and lines for TM1 - When I do find a good grade/price, I get it and ask for them to order more (the buggers seem to carry only one of everything you want in stock), only to return and find a Chinasty replacement provided when I next go... Tried the Chinasty ones and of around 10 that I have used over the previous year, only about 2 of them performed per spec - the rest either disintegrated their elements or allowed dirt through after a while... Kinda sucks when it costs an IP element... Fortunately though, its only been once... The rest failed on the filtering units or other stuff less critical which was picked up later down the line and sorted... Looks like its gonna be either expensive or cheap, good or bad respectively...

Enough rambling... Good luck with finding a spot to squat in!

Keep it spinning,

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 15, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
Hey Glort...

No worries mate!!

The oil/fuel is more of a entertainment factor than a dire necessity... I keep a hundred or so in the tanks on the 3 gens in case of power out, but the excess is burnt off in the evenings to save gas and lekky while I am at it.... Always makes me have a much better shower when I use old sump gunk to run the place... I get a decidedly self-satisfied smirk on my dial for a while after!!

I must confess... I haven't been out looking for WM oil for a while now, there has just been too much going on around here to get away... Not that I get out much, I think the last time I left the premises was about a month back!! Strange...Too much going on to even consider getting cabin fever....Lol

I would love to get hands on a decent quantity of lard or veg oil... But it seems that there is just too much demand for it this side... Incidentally, one of the places that we BUY wmo from at ZAR1 per L asked us how many pigs we have as we go through so much of the stuff.... Much to the local's disgust, as when we stop there, we take all the chaps stuff and it takes him about a month to build up stock again... The locals paint their pigs with the stuff to keep pests etc at bay, rather than the more "orthodox" methods of pest control... Come to think of it, I think you can still buy "pig oilers" from some co-ops.... Interesting devices from a time largely past....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog_oiler

Again, enough rambling...

Cheers
E

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »
Hey Guys,

Bit of a report back - I sneaked up on TM2 and fitted the little generator volt/amp/watt/frequency/hour meter I got off Fleabay earlier this month... Works well so far, seems foolproof enough and pretty much agrees with the clamp on tester regarding all the things it can measure... Happiness!

Time will tell as to how long it lasts... Lets hope it outlasts the engine!!

Fitting was simple, with only the need for around a 2"x1" hole being made in the kennel on the genhead... It took longer to find a piece of sufficiently long/thick red wire to extend the gen output to loop it through the current pickup coil of the meter.... (Here's a thought...Loop the wire through the pickup coil a few turns and you can upgrade the power of your genhead by a corresponding multiplier... Much easier than trying to upgrade engines and alternators... And improves your fuel to electricity conversion ratio amazingly!! Just think...10 turns through the pickup coil gives you 10x the current measurement, efficiency of the generator must be at least 10x better.... I think I have a major breakthrough here.... Time to go throw some water in the fuel tank, I feel so lucky today, I am sure I can run this thing without fuel oil too.....  :laugh: )

Keep on BS'ing...

Cheers
Ed