Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications

(1/191) > >>

EdDee:
Hi Guys,

I am a "Newbie" to this forum, although I have been lurking on and off for some time as a guest. I am submitting a path of action and I would like some forecasts as to the eventual outcome from you highly experienced gents who have been down this road before. As always, experience is the best teacher and i would love to hear what you think would happen.

The scenario is as follows:
1)Take delivery of a new listeroid CS12/1
2)Do the absolute minimum prep work on the engine, check and set spill timing(A little advanced from the original 18deg to around the 20deg mark), check and set Valves, Quick Clean of Crankcase inner, Fill with Oil and diesel, Bleed injector system, Change governor spring and de-rate to 750RPM from the original 1000RPM
3)Install onto Chassis with a 7.5KW genhead driven by 2 v-belts from the Flywheel rim(No Grooves) and install a radiator with thermosyphon circulation and electrical fan assist with temperature switch.
4)Run one tank of diesel thru the engine under moderate load (2.5-3Kw) for basic break in.
5)Install a basic water injection system on the inlet manifold, install a Donaldson air filter in place of the junk filter that was supplied with the engine.
6)Break most of the rules with exhaust routing(Down 1m, Across 2m, Up 1/2m Across 1m, Up 3m or so and for giggles add another 90degree bend or 2 after all of this to get the exhaust to go where i want it)
7)Start, stop and run on WMO thereafter, highly varying load conditions, from 1.5Kw to a max of 7.5Kw for short periods, average load about about 2.5 to 3Kw.

dieselgman:
A couple quick responses...

1.) Do not buy a 12/1 if you want to run 750 rpm - just buy an 8/1 (850rpm) and slow it to your desired speed. This may require some adjustments to flywheel balance to make her stable.

2.) Running at 750 rpm is only going to produce barely 4kW (if that)- even if you start with the 12/1. So your high-end loading expectations will need to be adjusted accordingly.

The rest is a crap shoot with varying and unpredictable Indian assembly and QC practices as we have all observed. I have heard of a few folks assembling and running without modification and without complaint... but far too many who have found problems to remedy on close internal inspection.

dieselgman

Combustor:
Hi there EdDee,
                      Carefully read as much as you can on the topic of burning WMO in the threads on this site and others, and then make up your mind as to whether it is for you.  Some report good results but others have sad tales to tell, as there are many variables and unknowns with its use. Factors affecting results include
Source and type of oil
Contamination with unsuitable oils, (synthetics, gear lubes. coolants, fuels etc.
Blend ratio's, with diesel, heating oil, kero, jet fuel, RUG, other secret brews,
Heavy metal residues, (cause deposits and abrasive wear),
Your ability to achieve fine filtration and remove residual water/detergent "goo"
Possible need to preheat to keep flowing in cold weather
Legalities of transporting and storing, in some places, once oil is used, it is classified as Dangerous Goods.

If you can secure a source of an un-contaminated oil of a single type,then it may be worth some careful trials but be prepared for a lot of research and experiment and learn from other
users who have succeeded.  Also look into waste veg oil as fuel or the possibility of turning it into bio-diesel. Either way, you will need a lot of spare time.
          Do not listen to anyone who says you can build a refining setup that will turn WMO into diesel. It is a very hazardous process,not very successful and illegal almost anywhere.
Good luck.

Combustor.

EdDee:
Thanks Gman and Combustor, points noted!

I prepare my fuel (WMO) by heating it to around 110 to 120C and stirring it around to boil off water. Thereafter I let it settle overnight and decant the top 2/3 to a holding tank (through a 5micron filter) where it can further rest till I need to use it. I guess I have just been lucky so far in my choice of bits to put the whole setup together.

There is quite a bit more to my setup than the above description of my first post, but it is essentially, in its basics, pretty much as described. My reason for posting the What If, was to get an honest, genuine opinion of what to avoid and what I could expect. Somehow, my numbers as calculated, came out pretty much similar to what you have recommended, but in reality, I am able to draw power off the unit well above what has been predicted. Initial estimates came up around the 4kw mark which is around the 18A mark at 220V... I can and do peak load at about 25 to 30A with the exhaust only just starting to smoke. So far I have racked up quite a few hours and nothing has gone bang....Yet...

Any further reccomendations would be awesome! I am a slow learner, so repeat often and no offence will be taken... ;D

dieselgman:
Perhaps you have a 12/1 that is more than I initially assumed. Usually I thought they were the same displacement engines as the 6/1 and 8/1 - just run up to 1,000rpm to get the extra power. If yours has a larger bore and/or stroke, then it would be able to make more power at 750 rpm than what I had guessed at. Our 18/1 units run at 750rpm... just have a lot more cubic inches to make the extra power.

dieselgman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version