Puppeteer

Author Topic: Official Lister rings in a Metro 6/1?  (Read 1644 times)

tubes_rock

• View Profile
Official Lister rings in a Metro 6/1?
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:18:43 AM »
Been raking in a ton of useful info from this forum, but haven't had a need to post until now. Maybe this question has been answered, but the "search" function is terrible, and I'm not finding the answer. I have a 1999 Metro 6/1 that was only run at the factory. I bought it from a Y2K prepper who never got around to firing it up. Good for me, bad for him. I've read George's CD three times over, cover to virtual cover. I've taken it completely apart, polished many parts, checked many tolerances. I had a local machine shop cut the cylinder liner protrusion from 0.013 to 0.003 and they gave it a quick hit with the ball hone while they had it. The cylinder is great. The rings have light surface scratches which look like machining marks. They are parallel to the direction of the rings. (They are horizontal when the piston is installed in the engine, if that helps clear things up) I have a new-in-the-metal-cap-cardboard-tube set of Lister standard rings. No part number on the container. They look very nice, brand new, never installed. Perfectly polished. Would it make sense to put those in when I put it all back together? I'm worried that the Lister metal might be harder or softer than the Metro rings, which might have been formulated for the hardness of the Metro cylinder liner. I am looking to avoid deviating from the expected metal hardness and cause worse wear on the cylinder or rings. Are the Metro rings exact duplicates of the Lister rings? I've rebuilt lots of engines, but I'm always putting same-brand parts in. Honda rings go in the Honda engine. Ford rings go in the Ford engine. I've never crossed brand lines on critical engine parts, so I'm asking what would you experienced guys do?

Thanks!

--Justin
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:20:40 AM by tubes_rock »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Official Lister rings in a Metro 6/1?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:15:39 AM »
Official Lister rings were soft, to wear into the hard chrome plate of the Lister bore.   

If you don't have a chrome bore,  I don't think Lister rings are the best style.

tubes_rock

• View Profile
Re: Official Lister rings in a Metro 6/1?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
Interesting. Did Lister only make one kind of ring, and it's for chromed bores? This is certainly not a chrome bore, since I had it honed without any problems. The Lister rings don't look chromed, they look like standard grey metal. (They would be "gray" in American English!) So, I'm hearing that I should put the Metro rings back in, imperfections an all?

--Justin