Author Topic: ajaffa Bob OK ?  (Read 915 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: ajaffa Bob OK ?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »

There are other sites, whos moderators call for a new topic every time the form or pitch of a bolt changes - or heaven forbid, mention of a left hand thread occurs,

I really don't know what the mods on those sites think they are achieving with the " On topic " heavy handedness.  I think its' probably some outdated crap that webmasters were once told and like everything else on the net, Just gets parroted over and over without anyone really stopping to think why.

Back when I had a 2 bit website the aim of the game was to get as many participants/ traffic/ involvement as possible.  Coming down on people about  off topic all the time I cannot see achieving that.

There are many people here I'd like to meet even if the feeling may not be Mutual  :embarassed:.  There are many smart people here from very different parts of the world and experiences and we all have many things in common even if we do disagree on different things.   I'd love to see where you live Stef, the pictures you have put up here are amazing. But  i'd like to see Bruces setup and the area he lives in, sorta like to see Ed's Playground although i'd be wary of going to where he is as I am an ignorant traveler and I have been trying to get up to see Bob for months but things keep coming up which is annoying me.

I have made some very good and long term friends through forums. One good mate I have known 20 years now. 6 friends are from OS, mainly the US and UK and a couple I see every year or 2. One guy and I work together every year and we met through a forum.

I sent Bob an email this morning and haven't heard back. I did find his phone number  so I'll give him or his wife a call in the morning to see how he's going.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
 Well I will give you a few reasons why.
All is fine if your one of the hand full of  regulars here but if your an outsider this site is like walking into a loud  honkytonk bar, all is Grande if your a regular but it isn't a great place for a stranger to ask for directions.
Believe it or not there are people who come here due to the topics at  hand, I am one.  The host has graciously provided many forums here where just about anything can be talked about. I just did a quick look and about half the topics on page one  here are on the wrong place and most of the ones where the original post was in the right place go off on so many tangents that they cannot be followed unless one has half a day to spend looking at a screen.  There are some people who dont have that time, or the desire to do so,,,,apparently a lot of them when one looks at the statistics here.

As it is this forum  works well enough for the handful of regulars who appearantly spend hours here every day and maybe a few who just like confusion. But  it is a far piece from ideal for anyone else and thats the bottom line as far as I am concerned .

I have been around here a while but am here less and less because I don't need this place to have companionship , nor do I need a place to spout about my daily life.  Nor do I have the desire to spend half my day on here sorting through every topic and every post to see if there are questions I can help with. 

Why have all the forums, just put everything in one catch all forum and be done with it,,,,

Well, you asked,,,,

Bob, glad to read you are OK
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:36:14 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 04:40:19 PM »
Hi Bob, glad to know you're OK; had me worried there for a minute.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
Hi Bob, glad to know you're OK; had me worried there for a minute.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

+1

Great to hear You are OK mate if Not a little incapacitated for the minute.

Unbelievably I just found out a close friend of mine is now in Hospital.  Bumped his elbow last week which then got really sore. Went to a doc and got something but got rapidly worse.  Went to hospital and now his elbow is infected and they are going to operate to drain it today and they have told him he'll be in a week.

He's the VERY active always doing things type.  A week in hospital will probably do him good but drive him nuts at the same time.

No Fun getting older.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the encouragement. I fully understand how Glort`s mate feels, I hate hospitals, even if they are a necessary part of getting old. Sadly I will be seeing much more of them in the near future as my Wife is having a full hysterectomy next week! She will be in hospital for around five days and then be incapacitated for many months while she recovers. So, despite my own problems I am going to have to be nurse Bob, cleaner Bob and chef Bob for a few months. Don`t be too surprised if you hear that my Wife wants a divorce, the house is a mess and my cooking has given us botulism!

Hey Bruce, I`m sorry to hear that you are also having to be hospitalized. I worry about how that is going to go for you, the amount of electronic apparatus in hospitals is mind blowing. Have they offered to put you in a Faraday cage?

Hey Mike, sorry to hear you too have been under the knife. I was lucky because pain medications work for me, I cannot begin to imagine what it must have been like for you with out them.

Good health to all and a speedy recovery to those less fortunate.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »

Why do I get the feeling all this hospital talk and people surrounding  me visiting is an omen and i'm about to wind up there myself?

I have a nasty habit of noticing things out of the blue then having unfortunate personal contact with them in the near future.
Shit myself every time I see a hearse or a funeral procession of vehicles or similar. I couldn't give a damn about dying, it's those I love the thought of gives me anxiety.

I have been way lucky with Hospitals so far, last time I was in one as an inmate I was 5 yo having my tonsils out.
My luck can't hold out forever, miracle it's held out this long.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Hey Glort, hope you stay lucky, life is short make the most of it and to hell with the consequences.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 09:55:51 AM »
Bob, have you looked at getting any help in?

As you are both incapacitated there is hopefully someone that can come in and help out even once a week. Perhaps you could enquire with the hospital?
The Other thing would be possibly you could get meals on wheels but I don't know how far out of town you are.  I used to get than for my Gran when she was still with me so she had a good lunch.  Sometimes I would cook Dinner but more often she wanted to but wasn't inclined to do anything for luch for herself so the Meals on wheels was really good.

I also had a lady come in once a week to do the cleaning, ironing etc. She was funded by the gubbermint for 2 Hours a week but I just paid her myself for another 2 hours so she could get enough done.  My father has a housekeeper as well that comes in 2 hours and is great for him.

A bit of help could go a long way and take the pressure off both of you mate.

Will your wife be able to drive or will you have to get groceries etc delivered?  if you can get them delivered might be well worth while anyway.
Wish I was closer and could help out.  Come down to Taree. You can keep my father occupied and I'll be able to look after you all.... best I can.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »
Thanks Glort, we will be OK. I`m three weeks post surgery and things are looking good, still not supposed pick up anything heavier than a bag of sugar with my left hand but it gets stronger every day.

Narelle is going to be unable to drive for several months, which will be challenging. Her Brother is coming to stay for a while which will be a huge help. All our friends and neighbors have offered to assist with shopping and etc. The greatest advantage of living in a small community is that people help one another, not through choice but through necessity, out here the Aussie battler mentality is still alive!

Not much chance of meals on wheels out here, 50 Km to the nearest town, food would be cold and inedible by the time it got here. We are off to town in the morning to buy the makings for a whole load of things like stews and etc that I can safely make without poisoning anyone, probably get some frozen meals as well in case of disasters.

Thanks for the offer in Taree, I`m hoping we don`t need to take you up on it. How is your Father going after his eye surgery?

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »

Frozen meals are a good stand by and you can get some quite decent ones now in both flavour and Nutrition.
I make sure Dad has a supply on hand as backup for him and when I roll up till i can get to town.

Dads Eye Op went well as did his recovery.  He Picked up a cold and ended up back in hospital after i left. Not that he told me but that's another story.
He's back in next month to have the other one done.

At least being Crook has finally convinced him to cash in the business which I am happy about.  Working 6 days a week especially in that game is bullshit for an 80 yo man.  Soon as it's cleared out I'll be back up there dragging him kicking and screaming to every senior Citz mob I can find so he's not sitting round at home lonely.

He has a thing called essential tremors which is similar in effect to parkinsons.  Sometimes it's OK, sometimes he'd throw a  cup of tea all over every wall in the house.  He suggested he might like to go back to Pistol Shooting.  i probably shouldn't have laughed so much when I said he'd need to have a range to himself and they would need to score 10 Different targets he would shoot. Luckily he saw the funny side of that but I said you could always go back and score or do range duties even if you didn't shoot. Something we can explore later.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
Hey Bob, Glad you're doing OK, best wishes with your wife's surgery.  I'm not going into the hospital, as they have mega wireless and a cell tower on top.  I can be there for a short time, though my head feels like it's going to pop. It matters little that I have a neurologist's report showing effect of a cell phone on me; doctors only accept what they have learned in medical school and ignore everything else .  I will consider outpatient surgery, as I have managed to get in and out for that twice before. 

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 06:03:40 PM »
Hey Bob!

Nice to see you've not been loafing, just 'cos you can't type don't mean you can't bull up a bit of brass!

If the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind, a Pommie, in Oz, down to his last paw......

Not that I'm the one to gossip or stir the shite, as you well know.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
Have you heard?

The leading cause of premature death in America is the lack of eating fruit.  Too simple?  Most real answers are.  The old "An apple a day will keep the doctor away" turns out to be more true than most would suspect.  But wash then really good because apples are always in the top two or three of the most poisoned fruit / vegetables you'll purchase.  This would be a great time to put in a few veggies in a garden space.  I knew a guy that gardened out of soil bags he brought home from the hardware store.  He'd just give the slightly used soil away in the fall to friends that wanted to boost their compost a bit.

Read the labels on all stuff that is pre-prepared.  It's often flavored with the worst three.  SOS - Sugar - Oil - Salt.

So before I get completely up on another soapbox I write;

Best wishes on the multitasking.

And Remember

Caretakers often need caretakers themselves.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245