Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister Model D  (Read 14309 times)

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
Lister Model D
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:17:12 AM »
Evening ,
Just unloaded a little Lister Model D , 2 hp Number 85,780 after digging a little seems production started 1926 and ended 1964 . I was trying to date this unit but the charts I found started 1926 80,000 then jumped to 1930 . Is there a way to define the date a little more ? Thanks Mike             

richardhula

Re: Lister Model D
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
Evening ,
Just unloaded a little Lister Model D , 2 hp Number 85,780 after digging a little seems production started 1926 and ended 1964 . I was trying to date this unit but the charts I found started 1926 80,000 then jumped to 1930 . Is there a way to define the date a little more ? Thanks Mike             

Yes would agree that it was built somewhere between 1926 and 1930. At least one fire in the Lister works destroyed factory records so it seems unlikely you will get more accurate info near 90 years down the line. As this narrows build date down to a four year block though, is that not accurate enough?

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:15:18 AM »
Just asking, my Stover is 1916 and could be traced to National Equipment and sold by them June 1916 in Toronto thought maybe there was another site. The Spec tag reads 11D2 , cleaned up my Grand Dads old Whitworth wrenches today and made a list of the the things needed .Got the Parts Break down booklet and ordered the Overhaul manual from the UK. So after a little more cleaning with some kerosene I could read " Ricardo " on the top . The two wrenches that fits most nuts are 1/4 W and 1/4 BSF about 1/4 " and 5/16 " size nuts in SAE .Seems like lots on the UK ebay site so when I get it opened up we will see if it is a fixer . Cheers Mike

richardhula

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:48:24 AM »
Just asking, my Stover is 1916 and could be traced to National Equipment and sold by them June 1916 in Toronto thought maybe there was another site. The Spec tag reads 11D2 , cleaned up my Grand Dads old Whitworth wrenches today and made a list of the the things needed .Got the Parts Break down booklet and ordered the Overhaul manual from the UK. So after a little more cleaning with some kerosene I could read " Ricardo " on the top . The two wrenches that fits most nuts are 1/4 W and 1/4 BSF about 1/4 " and 5/16 " size nuts in SAE .Seems like lots on the UK ebay site so when I get it opened up we will see if it is a fixer . Cheers Mike

Good luck with project.

Sir Harry Ricardo was a consultant engineer who did a lot of work for Listers. This included the patented swirl type combustion chambers used on their first diesels, later known as the JP series. It was Arthur Freeman Sanders who designed their first diesels as a whole though, employing his cold start (hence CS series) compression change over design. I believe he was involved in earlier petrol and paraffin designs.

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »
Thanks I remember reading about the Ricardo head years back , went ahead and ordered the Story of the Model D should be interesting. Cheers Mike

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »
I believe the Ricardo Patent D referred to the valve recession.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:16:21 PM »
 referred to the valve recession ,       Hate when that happens  ;)

Still plugging along , engine all apart now the list of missing things seems to be never ending ...........   might have got my flower pots and engine projects mixed up.

Really wanted a Lister ,was two larger 5 HP for sale at Milton one was tight and the other had zero compression so I walked away feeling a little better about my troubles ,piston and cylinder look okay but the intake valve seat could be a game changer . I don,t mind taking it slow as long as I get a runner back some time . Cheers Mike

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
Well the books arrived today and what a relief just looking at page 9 of David Edgington fine book " The Lister D Story " was worth the price ! Honestly I thought the vale seat was gone so I took the plunge and bought a D65 mixer off ebay .Still cleaning parts seems never ending the oil is like what one would except from a old diesel,got the governor apart and freed up the push shaft and weights . Found a nice pair of 10 inch cast wheels for a cart,who know maybe if luck holds I will have a Lister to run next summer . Cheers Mike

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Still working away using the little parts washer I bought at Princess Auto for the small parts and a 5 gallon pail and lid I bought at Lowes for the larger bits. In the pail In the pail I am trying Zep degrease r which seems rather slooow. Went to Bylth and spotted some nice gas and diesel Listers a 5 and 9 hp gas I believe and a 4 cylinder diesel a 38 hp Spec 38/4/29 No. 60/244 .

I was wondering has anyone here ever replaced a big end bearing on a little D ? If it turns out it is bad was looking for advice can,t get logged into the UK site tried 3 email address figured some one over home would have done one . Well back to work .Cheers Mike

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 01:11:07 AM »
As work continues the engine is completely apart , I found that the Zep Cleaner and Degreaser is a decent product that parts come out like new after 4 days of soaking then I hit them with the pressure washer. The D-65 mixer came today and looks okay as did the Lister D-Type Restoration book by Nigel McBurney so a little further down the road. The crank bearings are off and after much cleaning and a soaking with clean # 30 oil the are fine to reuse. The SKF numbers are if you need them are RLS 12 and 14 ,parts that are waiting are cleaned and oil covered to prevent rust as this will take lots of time.The books were helpful in removing the inner larger crank bearing in particular.
The head looks new after soaking and the bearing carrier is out on the weekend , the valves were the original D55 type and while the seats look good the intake stem is a little worse for wear.The last big job is to soak the block given the small size of the container will have to soak it one end at a time .Some real thought went into planning this engine as the direction could be reversed fairly easy.Cheers Mike

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 11:51:43 PM »
Work went well after much cleaning the painting began ,I ordered a gasket set and one new valve as the stem was very thin also a set of transfers. I took the engine done to the last bit and it is now going back together there were missing bits like fasteners ,gas tank ,and tank support so I advertised and got a offer of a parts engine which turned out to be a 1927 serial 80729 spec 10 .After getting the seized parts engine home I used some Krown spray oil and gently rocked the flywheel till it turn over freely after a good look over decided it too should be completely stripped and cleaned . As the parts came out of the dip tank they were checked over and painted ,I used the first gasket set as a pattern to make a second set of paper gaskets for it. Then ordered a second set of transfers and copper head gasket.
The one engine needed a new wrist pin so I replaced it so one valve one bearing between two old engine is not too bad so far.Hate to see anything get parted out when it is mostly still complete. The plan is to get the 1927 engine ready for this summer and the 1928 for 2017 only have one set of cast wheels right now anyway.  The flywheel on the spec 10 was different no crown just flat across with machined sides and original red paint on it same casting number as the 1928 which is crowned.
It won,t be right but the engine is not being modified or hurt with a Iron Horse gas tank and muffler on it. Will try to post some pictures .Cheers Mike

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 02:25:02 PM »
Well some good news I finally got a correct fuel tank and as a bonus picked up a breather dome for the second engine .Got the parts lightly sanded and prepared with the first coat of paint on I can start to see what it should be come spring, March will be a good time to pick up the steel I need to build a cart for it.Going to make the cart in the English original style two wheel type with raised handles wheel are painted .Really wished I had a heated work shop,had a offer from a friend to loan a original type muffler to get some cast .Not sure what two would cost but it would be nice to see it looking correct. Cheers Mike

Mike Unwin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:34 AM »
Well the weather was perfect and got the engine mounted on the new cart and finished the assembly and it started right up ! Little work needed on the mixture screw as it seems rather tight to turn .Belted up the little Duro and it actually pumped water ,still running on the buzz coil but it is a start .Here is the little unit running for the first time . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SEXz65D8s&feature=youtu.be

I did manage to find a gentleman in the UK who had a repoduction cast iron muffler for sale so it hopefully is coming soon. Cheers and Happy Easter Mike, on to the next one  :)