Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SR1  (Read 9750 times)

GraderDude

• View Profile
Lister SR1
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
My lister sr 1 is making oil,gains 1pint of diesel in oil every 10hrs, checked injector lines and tightened seals, did have head off a while back , any ideas
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:30:54 PM by GraderDude »

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lister SR1
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
My lister sr 1 is making oil,gains 1pint of diesel in oil every 10hrs, checked injector lines and tightened seals, did have head off a wile back , any ideas

Is it leaking from the rack? Hard to tell in service because of the oil splashing about the place, but that'd be my first port of call.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »
I tried to watch it with side cover off but like you said lots of oil splashing

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:39:58 PM »
This engine was on a generator and I set it up to pump water ( lots of forest fires here now) I turned the engine speed screw out a little to gain two hundred rpm was running at about 900rpm , would that do it ?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:11:01 PM »
This is a very common problem that Lister acknowledged from the beginning of this model.

#1 - fuel leak-off line (Look at the fitting sealing face for any blemish or damage)
#2 - fuel injector line (look carefully at the flare sealing surfaces - both top and bottom)
#3 - fuel pump delivery valve seal (remove the top cap and look inside for a continuous seal - no cracks or blemishes)
#4 - fuel injector nozzle sticking open (will make very dirty exhaust)
#5 - fuel lift pump diaphragm cracked and allowing fuel into the bottom of the pump casting

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:59:21 AM »
Ok thank you Sir , I will start checking, thanks again

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:12:21 AM »
The SR also used what they call Dowty washers to seal the low-pressure side of the pump supply. Those are steel washers with a Viton rubber o-ring bonded to the inside diameter. If the O-rings on those are cracked or damaged, internal leakage can result.

Basically any internal fuel line or connection can be suspect... and there are quite a few of them to be had on that model.

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:20:23 AM »
Lister provided a training video "S-series Closer Look". This was what dealers used for tech training for the SR. It does spend quite a bit of time showing the potential fuel leakage locations and solutions. Most of the issues were solved with new parts replacement.

I have often seen the delivery valve seal fail... it is of a semi-resilient bakelite type material and once it develops a crack (from age and high temperature), fuel will seep past the threads of the cap even when it is fully tightened.  :(

dieselgman

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 01:57:05 AM »
          Careful alignment and tightening of the line from pump to injector is required. Tighten both ends in small increments and wriggle them to ensure they align correctly.
Those bakelite washers under delivery valve holders also gave me pain. Not sold as a separate Lister spare, and I had to shop round till I found a fuel injection shop that did
not want to include them in the price of a pump re-build. You need to see the guy in the back of the shop who services pumps and he will have a bag of them in his drawer.
As Dieselgman says, replace those Dowty washers while you are in there. Regards,
         Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it, need all the help I can get

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
hello fellows,the lower end of the injector line where it meets the delivery valve looks alittle rough,and where it seats into the delivery valve a little rough too, any way of tuneing those up or do i replace,tighten more ,maybe emery cloth it a little?what do you guys think?  thanks again,appreiate it

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 02:12:18 AM »
You can try cleaning it up as long as you are patient and willing to do it by trial and error. Worst case would just be the lost time and effort. Be very careful not to introduce any contaminants into the fuel system though - keep it clean.

You can tighten the heck out of the fuel pump cap and then just keep your fuel line torque below that level and you will be OK... don't let the line and cap rotate together or you will bend and maybe crack the fuel line. 45 ft. lbs. is OK on the cap... 25 ft. lbs. is usually about right on the fuel line.

Most field techs just replace the lines when they are found to be suspect.

dieselgman

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 04:31:46 AM »
Ok thanks again

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »
            Hi GraderDude,
                                In desperate times when parts are not available I have resorted to lapping the joints together. You can carefully remove the fuel pump cap and hold in lathe chuck or similar, apply a dab of fine valve grinding paste, then gently oscillate the pipe cone in the cap seat. Clean and inspect at intervals and check final fit with some bearing blue. Guess you could do the same with the injector end. Wash up very clean and refit with fingers crossed. Has worked for me on occasions, but if new parts can be found that's the easy option.
Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

GraderDude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
hello combustor and dieselman, i seated the cone into joint on both ends of injector line, clean well and assembeled,ran lister low rpm and found both nuts on injector line leaking out back of caps , dont know what to do now , order parts if i can find them i guess??