Author Topic: Here is a quick and handy fuel filter conversion  (Read 6156 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Here is a quick and handy fuel filter conversion
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:00:25 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Here is a quick and handy fuel filter conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
This page intentionally left blank  :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:08:39 PM by 38ac »

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
Duplicate post or not, I have a comment.

I bought my Vidhata back in 2005 through George Breckinridge and gave it a good look over before ever starting it. I made the governor modification.  I cleaned everything I could, including the sump, checking for sand.

Like you, my first thought was a simple in line filter.....one rated for gravity feed........to get rid of the Indian "rope in a dope" filter. I installed an opaque, plastic filter purchased from NAPA and the engine wouldn't start. I checked everything I could think of. Asked numerous questions on this and other forums. God knows how many times I spill timed that thing, but at least I became an expert at it! I finally got disgusted because I had a "lemon" and shoved the engine into a corner where it sat for close to a year.

One fine day I happened to glance at that nice, shiny new filter and noticed something for the first time........an air bubble. Now, the outlet side of the filter was covered in diesel so it SHOULD have flowed easily, but since the filter was at an angle a bubble had formed at the inlet side. It COULDN'T be that simple...could it? Being suspicious, I removed the filter and ran the fuel line straight to the injection pump. It fired on the first crank and settled down at its normal rpm. It honestly never occurred to me that the filter being placed at an angle would block the fuel............but it did.

I ended up modifying the cast iron Indian filter to take a screw in Fleedguard filter and the engine's been a joy since. Moral? Think everything thing through and engines don't run well without fuel.
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
George,
The blank page is due to a fat fingering my keyboard on an attempt to edit, cant delete it so Blank page :-\

Not all in line filters are born alike, the gravity flow filters sold at the parts stores are little more than a course strainer, I have used plenty of them on lawn movers and tractors. The Kubota filter is deigned for the final filter in a diesel fuel injection system, huge difference.  I also have designed and install cartridge elements inside the OEM bowls. The attraction for the inline filter is an off gridder in tim buck two can install one with a hack saw and a Leatherman tool.

Thinking things through causes me to wonder why your engine would not start. Air prior to the pump plunger is not going to cause the pump and inject to not work? Only air between the pump and injector will do that ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:35:39 PM by 38ac »

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
Mystified me too..........I could see no reason why the fuel shouldn't flow, even WITH that bubble in there. Yet, as soon as I bypassed it the engine started and ran fine.

The entire problem could have been avoided if I'd have positioned the filter in a straight up and down configuration, allowing any air to go up into the tank. Since it was at an angle I couldn't get the air out and somehow it was restricting the fuel flow........and maybe RESTRICTING is the key word here, not allowing sufficient fuel to run. You'll note that I spill timed the engine numerous times and there was always enough fuel for that, but when cranking it would only fire once or twice. Ran fine on a few drops of gasoline in the intake, so it was definitely a fuel delivery problem. The whole thing defies logic. There MAY have been some air in the injector line, but after all the bleeding and timing I did I really doubt it.

The other, simpler explanation is that it was a gasoline filter and as such wouldn't allow diesel to pass easily. Your suggestion regarding a DIESEL inline filter is something I should have realized a long time ago. Would have saved me a lot of grief!

In any case, I'm glad I replaced it after seeing your comment about filter quality and my modified Indian filter (I think it was your idea!) seems to work just fine.

At this point the engine is running a 2KW military generator and I just finished my thermo-siphon radiator installation yesterday. The governor is still a bit non responsive but on the whole I'm quite happy with the whole project. These things are addictive to tinker with!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:45:55 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »
Recently bought a used 19HP Kubota diesel tractor to cut the lawn. Serviced it and the light bulb went off when I opened the fuel filter box. This filter will have the correct micron rating to preserve the pump and injector and retrofit  installation on a 'roid couldn't be any easier.  Plenty big enough if your running pump diesel for fuel. Kubota part 12581-43012 about $10 on Fleabay. Cut the steel line feeding the pump and the one coming from the tank. 4 clamps and a foot of hose and your in business.....

I like that, much better than the giant Racor thing I got, and was afraid to mount because it's mass would crack the mounting bosses !  I see Tom has a smaller Racor that appears to not be in stock anymore....

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
Recently bought a used 19HP Kubota diesel tractor to cut the lawn. Serviced it and the light bulb went off when I opened the fuel filter box. This filter will have the correct micron rating to preserve the pump and injector and retrofit  installation on a 'roid couldn't be any easier.  Plenty big enough if your running pump diesel for fuel. Kubota part 12581-43012 about $10 on Fleabay. Cut the steel line feeding the pump and the one coming from the tank. 4 clamps and a foot of hose and your in business.

ARGH ! there seem to be several "models" on fleabay, that if it's a 5/16 fuel line, it fits,  many are listed gasoline only  :o   with pages of "cross reference filter numbers"

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:00:50 PM by 38ac »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »
did some catalog searches on the NAPA parts site and found the following:

Kubota part 12581-43012   crosses to a NAPA 3972  50 micron filter, both gas or diesel.   $11
 I also found a NAPA 3011 that is 12 micron and not stated gas,  diesel or what, just FUEL  $4