Puppeteer

Author Topic: Diesel Filtration Add On  (Read 3427 times)

Aphrael

• View Profile
Diesel Filtration Add On
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
I want to replace the original primitive Lister fuel filter on my CS6/1 with a spin on filter.  I wasted way too much time trying to find an economical base for the spin on elements.  Part of the time wasted resulted from the many combinations of spud threads (where the filter element spins on) and the inlet and outlet thread configurations.  Many times is was very hard to find out exactly what threads are built into the filter base.  Maybe this is really common knowledge to others, but in case any one else has the same idea, I offer what I learned in case it might save you some time.

I learned that 1-12 UNF thread seems to be standard for filters intended for bulk tank outlet filtration.  For some reason, the filter manufacturers give rather sketchy specs for those filter cartridges, but they're probably a less fine filtration.

It seems that filter spin on elements for final filtration mostly incorporate 1-14 thread, although metric sizes also complicate the field.  

The most economical solution that I found was a NAPA 4770 filter base, which is the same as a WIX 24770 base.  They're offered for sale on ebay for about $34 each.  They have 1/2 NPT inlet and outlet, and 1-14 spud for the spin on element.   Elements to fit that base are easy to find in several micron ratings, with and without water drain petcocks, form many manufacturers, which means it's easier to find the bargains.   (I rejected the Indian filter set for sale by CMD because no information is offered in the description.)

My question:  Does anyone have an informed opinion on the optimal micron rating for a Lister CS fuel filter?  Is a 30 micron fine enough?  Or is 10 micron a better choice?  I can't imagine that 2 micron filtration would accomplish anything other than to require more frequent filter replacement, but if I am wrong about that I would appreciate hearing from you.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:07:37 PM by Aphrael »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel Filtration Add On
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
Here's what I did:

The ends are double flaired using the stock fuel line. That's a 10 micron filter with a water barrier and drain. It's been 2 years and no filter change needed yet.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:56:57 PM by Tom »
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
I use one of those NAPA filter set ups. Easy to obtain and get replacement filters for.

I don't remember the micron rating but seems like it was 20 or 30. (I could be wrong
on this) but I THINK the engines use so little fuel that the crap will settle out in the filter.
I always run clean fuel and am careful about getting anything in the tank except clean fuel.
My tank has a screen in the filler neck as well.

On the yachts I work on most of the final filters are 5 micron but they are using huge
amounts of fuel and I believe they need the filtration because of volume and the fact
that some of the marinas have crappy tanks. Especially true in the Bahamas.

I am happy wih my NAPA filter setup but I'm not using anything but clean fuel. If I
were using anything else, like some homebrew fuel or recycled french fry goo, I would
probibly be looking at something with a smaller micron rating.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Aphrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:58:41 AM »
Here's what I did:

The ends are double flaired using the stock fuel line. That's a 10 micron filter with a water barrier and drain. It's been 2 years and no filter change needed yet.

Yes, I looked at that RACOR filter assembly.  Very nice, but a little more money than I wanted to spend, because I wanted to buy a filter assembly, and spares, for three engines.  Also, because of my other fittings on the engine, it was more convenient to have the inlet and outlet fittings threaded for 1/2 NPT.

The R12S filter element is 2 microns filtration, so your fuel should sparkle by the time it gets to the injector.  The same element can also be had in 10 and 30 microns.  But that's definitely a highly regarded filter, and if it's lasted you 2 years, maybe it's good economy after all.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:19:33 AM by Aphrael »