Author Topic: 6/1 688rpm/60hz and erratic governor?  (Read 2982 times)

650rpm

• View Profile
    • My Listeroid CS Photo Album
6/1 688rpm/60hz and erratic governor?
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »

22.6 " diameter must be slightly smaller than most flywheels, and the math confirms it; I had to increase the rpm to around 680 to get 115volt/60hz on the ST-5. At this speed there is more vibration, and I am seeing peculiar readings on my tinytach, mostly I see 680-688, but 730, 800, and even 1020 even flashes as the reading updates. Should I be concerned about this? I don't really notice an obvious speed fluctuation observing/listening, well maybe for a split second when it flashes 900-1000, but if I didnt have a Tach I wouldnt have even noticed a speed change when adding/removing a load. Only when the engines loaded the tones deeper. Would this be a governor issue? One thing i had to do to unscrew the spring to get it to 680 is I had to take out the one small screw at the end of the threads, doing so allows it to wiggle more since there is only the adjustment screw holding it. I do have some play in the rack, and saw the spring fix and will try that soon. Also I am wondering how much vibration is from the ST5 only being held down by its own weight in the base track. I was thinking of making some brackets.

Ultimately I wish I could find a smaller pulley, I feel like it is just running too fast, 8" would bring it to 650 rpm which it ran more balanced. Actually 600rpm was my favorite highest speed. That would require a 7.5"

George A

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 688rpm/60hz and erratic governor?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 03:43:17 AM »
I used the crankshaft pulley from a Chevy 350 v-8. They are a six groove serpentine pulley and measure 7 3/4" in diameter. An adapter was machined for the shaft by boring a piece of steel round stock to match the generator shaft, then a keyway cut. Set screw holes were drilled and tapped. A disc of steel was machined to to a close fit inside the pulley, bored to press fit the shaft adapter and holes drilled to match the pulley holes. The disc was then pressed on the round stock and welded. It might be advisable to place the shaft adapter in a lathe after welding and take a face cut off the disc, just to make sure it runs absolutely true when the pulley is bolted on.

My entire unit runs true and allows the engine to chug right along at 600 rpm. The pulleys are readily available on Ebay and a good match for this use. Just be sure to verify with the seller that the outside diameter is, indeed, 7 3/4".

I also purchased a Ford (if I remember correctly) six groove serpentine pulley that was smaller, just in case I wanted to run the engine slower, but never felt the need to install it.

It also sounds like you haven't bolted down that ST head? If not, do so right away as it could very well be the reason your voltage is erratic. At the very least, it's dangerous.

The governor linkages on these engines ALL need attention of some sort. I modified mine by replacing the sliding yoke with an L shaped bracket that I cut from 3/8" steel. It has a post that goes in where the sliding yoke was and then is JB Welded in place. A hole is drilled in the upper end of the bracket that matches the hole in the fuel pump rack and a #50 roller chain link serves as a link between the two. This allows one end of the assembly to move up and down as it moves back and forth, while the end at the rack moves horizontally. No slop and improved performance. I replaced my governor spring with a longer lighter one also as mentioned in another post.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:52:56 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

650rpm

• View Profile
    • My Listeroid CS Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
Thanks..Do you have any pictures of your governor linkage mods George A?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:47:48 AM »
If you don't like the balance at 688 rpm, I'd suggest changing it as the simplest solution. 4oz of clay is a useful amount of change, typically either added or opposite the counterweights.  Search for the Mr X method.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:11:30 AM »

Nominal 23" flywheels are pretty much standard for the 6/1 listeroid.
The none spoke "Stover" wheels can be a bit smaller due to higher mass.

688 rpm is pushing it. I believe 700 is the limit for the cast iron piston engines.
At that speed there's a lot of reciprocating weight forces at play. Maybe a reason for your noticeable vibration.
If I'm not mistaken, the 8/1 Listeroids run upwards of 900 or 1000 rpm but they have much lighter aluminum pistons.

IMHO...My suggestion is to change your belt drive ratio so that you get the engine speed down to 625 - 650

Cheers,
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)