Author Topic: Combined heat and power. Cloths dryer  (Read 8093 times)

Mr X

• View Profile
Combined heat and power. Cloths dryer
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
I found the Roid didn't have enough power to run a electric dryer, it would but the rpm was slowly dropping and the fluorescent lights would soon flicker as it got below the required hz. So I disconected on leg from the heating element, the dryer just nearly got warm and after 2 hr of tumbling the cloths still weren't dry. Being that the Roid is just on the other side of a wall why not hook up a hot air duct from the rad to my intake to my dryer. Now I checked the heat being sucked through the duct and it is 125 f not bad so ad that to what the 220 element running on 120 puts out and voila a load of cloths drys in 1 hr. Happy wife. I'll take some pics and add to my photobucket.

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/MRx_04/library/

X
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:54:54 PM by Mr X »
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Combined heat and power. Cloths dryer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
I'd look for a 120 volt element or space heater adaption of some sort and disconnect the factory element.  Considering the cost of wearing out clothing in a metal tumbler your savings may have a red glow to them.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
if your radiator is in the same room as the engine I would be concerned with my cloths smelling like Diesel.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
As far as smelling like diesel No. More like French fries. My wife won't measure detergent and so over uses Gain so you can smell soap on my cloths from 30 feet away much over powering the gentle  fragrance of WVO. I searched the web high and low and there was no body who will admit to ever doing this so I'm pleased to say it will work. I suppose the only ones who would care are the foolish soles who have decided to ignore the grid even though it runs right past my property. It would cost 14,000 to hook up and then we would have 120 month bills for life. If you think that's nut you should see how I power my metal lathe.

X
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
Hi Mr. X....  I would very much see how you power your metal lathe!  I use an old 10HP three phase motor as a phase converter to run mine, and it is not very efficent.  20 amps at 240 volts just to keep the converter idling, and it maxes out my 100 amp grid service everytime I start the 7.5HP spindel motor in the higher speed gears.  I'm very thankful that none of my neighbors have a clue why their lights flicker so much!  Varaiabl speed drives are now getting more affordable so I dream of getting one to use as a phase converter at some point.  I have thought of hooking up an internal combustion engine to the gearbox ever since I saw a VW motor running a line shaft setup in a friends off grid shop.  For me the most practicle option at this time is to leave well enough alone :'( !  Actually I've considered hooking a "Roid to the shaft of the converter motor and finding out if it would push my electric meter backwards while the lathe is off and provide more starting torque to the spindle when starting in the higher gears.  Anybody want to comment on that idea's practicality?  Not that I would actually do that of course ;) !     Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 01:46:02 AM »
That's a cool idea. I like it.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »
You could also probably source an automotive heating core and mount that in front of the dryer air intake and pump hot coolant thru the heater core to provide warm air to the dryer...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »
http://s106.photobucket.com/user/MRx_04/library/   
Il have to take some pics but I power my lath with a line shaft I spin it at 1000 rpm and it runs a shaft across my shop ceiling to a clutch off a clutch off a swather, then to a belt down the wall to an angle drive which runs a drive shaft to the lath. Sounds complicated but is very efficient and it will start in high gears when my shop is cold. I use air selonoid to control a air ram which kicks the clutch in or out. It is controlled through the switch which is stock on the lath. The only problem is no reverse. But sure beats the 3 hp electric motor that came with it, the Roid just didn't have the oomph to start it in any thing but the lowest gears.

As far as a heater core I thought of that but it was more complicated then just chewing a hole in the wall and running some ducts.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
And that smug look gets wiped off my face yet again  ;D !  I guess I'll just kill myself if the grid quits...    I would love to see photos Mr.X, when you get the time.  I guess you spin the shaft with the 'Roid?    Leland

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »
Ok I loaded pics of my lath drive .

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
Thanks for the photos, MR.X, Looks way cool!  Line shafting ran all the factories just fine back in the day!  I never gave a thought to the efficency of that system but I can see how it must be pretty good.      Leland