Author Topic: Power outage  (Read 3268 times)

carlb23

• View Profile
Power outage
« on: June 27, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
We had some very high straight line winds come through here on early Tuesday evening and a tornado warning (doesn't happen here in southern new jersey often) and it took out a lot of trees and power lines.  My neighbors trampoline who is about 400 yards away went through his vinyl fence and ended up in my back yard wedged against a large tree.   When I saw that I quickly got a large piece of rope and tied it to the tree so it wouldn't go any further. This thing was all bent up and we needed to just disassemble it and put it in the trash.

Power went out at around 6pm on Tuesday and they didn't restore power until around noon Friday.  I am pleased to say that the Listeroid performed flawlessly averaging 14to 16 hours straight per day average load was only about 1700 to 1800 watts. 

My listeroid is a hybrid using diesel for pilot ignition and natural gas.   In the approximately 45 to 50 hours of run time it only used a little over three gallons of diesel,  I have no idea how much natural gas it used but who cares I didn't have to go find a open gas station that sold diesel since i normally keep 15 to 20 gallons on hand.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Power outage
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:54:23 PM »
glad you were OK, and what a sweet way to cycle through some old fuel stock ;D

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
Are we smug about the generator we made??? ;D ;D

I am too!!  but mine has not been needed for almost two years now. We test run it once a month and switch the load over to it now and then just for giggles so it is ready when needed.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »

Carlb

Glad to hear that the unit did it's job when needed.
We stare at these things sitting idle in the garage or shed wondering if we will every justify the purchase.
Then one day out of the blue they become a necessity and make it all worthwhile.

Sounds like she did well ! Give her a polish and an oil change.  ;)

cheers,
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
BE CAREFUL, when dealing with wife's there is no set formula. Our adventure into off-grid living began when we moved to a home 25 min out of town where the power lines ran through the redwood forest. The first winter we were there we got a horrendous wind storm and the power went out. Our home had an all electric kitchen and we had no generator. Life sucked, so after 3 days with no power I went to the hardware store and bought a 4kw B&S 3600 rpm screamer. Yay I was a hero for a while.

In that location we had lots of 7 day outages and even a 10 day outage. Over time a 6kw Onan RV LP generator was bult in to our tool shed, the kitchen and water heater were converted to LP so outage or not life was pretty much the same. THEN the moaning began that it was so romantic to have candle light dinners and no TV for the kids from time to time. SIGH, can a husband ever win??? ??? ::) :P ;D
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.