Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister Petter injection pump  (Read 34031 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Lister Petter injection pump
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
Sounds like 1 cylinder has low compression. As a rule of thumb compression differences between cylinders should be within 10% max. Your numbers seem to be quite a bit over that. I would suggest checking the valve lash, and then retesting the compression with a shot of motor oil down each injector hole before testing.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Lispet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 11:55:03 PM »
Thanks, the thing that's confusing me is the cylinder with the lower pressure is the one that has lots of pressure behind it when it comes out of the cylinder, and the higher one has less ???

She does start after the cylinders are "cleared" out as I mentioned too.

By the way, with the hydraulic tappets, would there be any lash?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:57:31 PM by Lispet »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 12:45:15 AM »
Regarding those hydraulic tappets... servicing can be a real pain. There will not be any lash. If you remove any of the rockers (or pushrods), you will have to be very careful about compressing the tappet before turning over the engine again or you can have valve and push-rod damage from the valve contacting the piston crown. Normally if you assemble and give the engine about 45 minutes to "settle", then the tappets will become compressed on their own. There is a special tool for the job that basically is a lever that allows you to compress the lifters one-by-one.

A careful inspection of the exhaust ports will tell you something about both compression and fuel injection in that any abnormality will show up in excess carbon or a wet port. These engines seemed to have a lot of problems with the valve trains.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 12:51:09 AM »
Never mind the lash adjustment then, the thought was to eliminate one possible source of a compression leak. Low compression will be due to either rings or valves.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Lispet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »
Yeah the online manual that I have talks about the "bleeding down " of the tappets. I noticed that while installing the rods and tightening down the nuts,if you turn over the engine manually with a socket on the crank pulley,suddenly the engine would "lock",and then after a few minutes it would free up. So that would make sense. But she will start at some stage.

I tried to start her again this morning and I turned over the engine with the stopper on, and turned her over for a few turns. I then gave her some heat and she started relatively quickly with the stopper off . Someone mentioned that if the exhaust is too long,it may affect the breathing of the engine?

Could the breather be a cause?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:17:02 AM by Lispet »