Author Topic: 6 HP Lister for sale on Ebay  (Read 11181 times)

lucy

• View Profile
6 HP Lister for sale on Ebay
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:05 AM »
Hello, I am selling a vintage Lister on Ebay  ITEM NUMBER 121648175703  The lister is 6 HP, CS76723, made in England.  There are two short clips of the lister running on youtube which are:   

https://youtu.be/cK89maKIhoY

https://youtu.be/3j5nJeWnMCw

I am sorry that I know very little about this engine. It belonged to my husband who died.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: 6 HP Lister for sale on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
I've been watching it and can't figure out why there aren't any bids?  Is a green paint job really that important?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »
The market for complete engines is definitely softer now than a couple years ago
Engine has been froze up and patched.
Paint does affect value with most buyers
Location affects value

Guy in Colorado has dropped his SOM 6/1 down to $1500 I see

None the less if it wasnt a 13 hour drive away I would be temped to,,,
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
Been as your presently a Zero rated feedback ebayer that could be having a negative effect.
Therefore I would suggest that you improve the listing description, with the following points in mind: what is the mechanical condition of the engine like, is it easy to start, does it run well, has it had any recent attention, has it been reguarly serviced, is there any damage to the engine (frost damaged water jacket etc), do you have any history with the engine, is there anything missing ie starting handle, does it come with an instuction manual, etc, etc.

These are all the sort of details potential bidders like to know about, good luck with your auction. Finally emphasize the fact that it has the heavy flywheels fitted as this is a very desirable feature on these engines.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:06:37 AM »
The market for complete engines is definitely softer now than a couple years ago
Location affects value

Apart from location, in your opinion what other factors do you consider have caused this decline in price?

Could it be with the recent container load of CS engines, the market has now been flooded ;D. Or is the quality of the Indian clone engines now improved to a such an extent, that the advantage of buying a genuine engine to overcome the shortfalls of Indian produced engines, is now not what it once was.

Also do you think that the demand in the US for genuine twin cylinder versions (10-2, 12-2, and 16-2) of the Lister CS engines has similarly declined? As that is a considerably rarer engine (even in the UK), because at present prices in the UK continue to climb ever upwards.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »
To be fair the price of original CS engines seem to  follow the price of fossil fuel and price hikes of this,  when we have a price hike people are motivated to look at at cheaper alternative fuels and the machines that will consume these, add a dash of nostalgia and throw some short lived Indian engines into the mix and you have a bull market, which due to people building high fuel prices into their overheads,  subsides over time.   
Just maybe, the gents in Rajkot have got the right idea for a sustainable market.                                                                                                                              In the UK currently, the main buyers of original CS engines seem to be collectors and rarely off grid buyers, whereas in the US, the off grid market is stronger.
Just my 2 pennorth.

Mark.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »
Why? While I make no claim to being a market strategist I do have an opinion for what it it is worth.  Cheaper solar has something to do with it, as does high priced diesel,as does the size of the market vs demand. Another factor is the Internet.  Most people these days know their way around the internet well enough to price anything. They see something sell for $XYZ (or priced at $XYZ) and think, hey I have one of those myself.   I am an active buyer of engines and engine  cores for rebuilding and for my collection. Correspondence has taught me that there is one hell of a pile of both new and used Indian engines AND Dursley built CS engines in "unknown" condition both in this  country and in Canada that can be purchased.  Problem is the owners think they are worth 2-3,000 USD I have had some real doozies offered up for sale. Busted up, stuck, incomplete "used to run 15 years ago,,, da da da.  Granted,  A few will sell at those prices but not to me.

The reality of the slow speed diesel market as I see it is this;
 I have watched at least a dozen Indian clones sell at auction over the last 4 years and have only seen one break $1000 and that was a brand new twin. I have never seen a CS single break $1600 at auction. Over the last 4 or so years I have purchased rebuilt and sold a dozen CS  and Bamfords Z series singles. I stress that I do not sell used engines, only totally rebuilt ones and I stress TOTALLY.  The CS singles run right at $3000, the Bamfords are $3500-4000. These engines are  as new mechanically as I can make them. About half of my sales are to collectors, half are users. The market for my engines is steady, I have a backlog most of the time. 

My market for used $2000 engines? Zero.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel