Author Topic: Identify the Engine and Build.  (Read 8704 times)

abdulr76

• View Profile
Identify the Engine and Build.
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »
Dear Lister Lovers,

I am a newbie to your domain and started to love these engines, I have finalized to purchase an engine which seems to TR2 in my little knowledge (no engine details stamped), I have check the workshop manual but unable to find it build as mentioned on the engine. Please take a look at advice the engine model and build for possible repairs in right direction.

Thanking in advance.
Pics are available on mentioned below link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8s6h47kahmof0vh/AABoRCx8Ox0af4LSHDCyCT94a?dl=0

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Identify the Engine and Build.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »
That could be either a TS2a or TR2a. Obviously from a light plant. Someone has had that generator head removed and left many loose fasteners so be cautious about whether or not that is a functional unit. That particular Leeroy Somer head may not be the best choice for general household power because they were cheaply made specifically for light plants with pretty loose power requirements.

Take a look at your engine cowling - opposite side of engine. There would have been a small data plate either on top or the side of the cowling with engine serial number. What size is the generator head? Failing that, get a casting number from one of the cylinder heads... or a pump number from one of the injection pump data plates.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
Dieselgman,

Bundle of thanks for prompt reply.
The Owner told me that it has a 10 KVA/7KW Generator head (Capacitor Compensated). I will look for the cylinder head and pump plate for details.
However, I request you comment on diesel fuel consumption and reliability.
Will you allow me to use filtered waste motor oil (WMO) balanced mixed with Diesel to run the generator.

Waiting for reply.............

Regards,

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
Running waste motor oils with diesel fuel will increase maintenance but could be successful up to about 15% - that is the level at which the USAF did extensive testing in a wide array of diesel engines - mostly successful. The T series is direct injected and the nozzle resides right at the top of the combustion chamber... fouling of the tip is a typical outcome. Changing of injectors is fairly easy on this model engine. Water injection is one way to provide for easy cleaning of the combustion chamber. Your particular operating environment and oil supply could change the expected results for the better or worse.

Specific fuel consumption for this series is very competitive with any other modern 1800rpm diesel... they are best run with nearly full loads. Lister published ball park figures are 0.97 gallons per hour for 100% load on a TR2 at 1800 rpm and 17.6hp.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:49:34 PM by dieselgman »

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 05:34:01 AM »
Dieselgman,

Sorry to bother you again.  :)
Indeed, your observation is correct, the generator was a marine grade light plant and coupled with TR2 and I assume the engine is running at 1800 RPM.
The generator head is Leroysomer "LSA 38 M6 ACC" pic upload on the link. I don't know much about it. I read the PDF file but unable to get KVA rating, PF and RPM of the genset to make it usable as backup generator at home.

The seller told me its "a 10KVA/7KW generator set, running at 1500 RPM and suitable for Home use" but things are very much confusing............ . So, I am thinking another option to purchase the TR2 Engine only (love Lister) from the seller without generator head and purchase a brand new "10KW/1500 PRM", Single Phase Generator head (Kaijieli OR Stamford Clones) with Brush-less motor & AVR.  ???

Please advice.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:37:58 AM by abdulr76 »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:42:18 PM »
The Stamford copy will be a good choice as long as they are true to the Stamford design and manufacturing quality is sound. The ones we are getting here (North America) these days are excellent. The Leroy Somer will be OK as long as you are not requiring very tight and stable output voltage ranges. They are good for light plants where the acceptable voltage range is quite wide. That 7kW set is a bit small for the TR2, 10kW would be a much better choice... unless that turns out to be a TS2. 7.5kW is just about right for the TS2 engine.

dieselgman

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
Sir,

Thank you for advice. I will keep you guys posted.
I am unable to understand why other forum members are not participating in the post. May be they dont like the idea.   :-X

Regards,

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
The majority of content and interest on this forum is on the older slow-speed Lister types - the antiques. Your TR is just a little outside the main interest I believe. It surely still meets the description and function of this forum though... keep posting.  :laugh:

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:51:19 PM by dieselgman »

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »
@ abdulr

Welcome to the forum. Speaking for myself, I (and probably most of us) have not added anything to your post because of my very limited knowledge (none, in fact!) of the Tr and TS series of engines. Most topics are related to, as Gary says,  the older models. Please do keep posting, we welcome all Lister/Lister based systems. Even if we are not "up-to-speed" on some of the  Lister models, it is a learning opportunity for us.
Thanks for posting, wish I could be of some assistance........

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »
Well, i haven't seen CS type lister here but found small lister for fun. Don't know the model.
Once I will complete TR2 project, I look forward get my hands dirty with  small lister.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:28:08 AM by abdulr76 »

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Finally, purchased a TS2 for my generator project. pics uploaded.
Please reply with your precautionary notes for me.

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
Dear All,

Thank you for your help.
Finally Generator project completed. The TS2 coupled with Stamford 10 KW (Chinese copy) head. Working awesome and feeling blessed.  :angel:
With 3.7 KW load the engine is averaging around 1 Litre/hr which seems good to me.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7UOCrIR8_E
See pics at Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8s6h47kahmof0vh/AABoRCx8Ox0af4LSHDCyCT94a?dl=0

The TS2 needs some improvement in Starting and dropping RPM on load. Which will be fixed later.

abdulr76

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »
The engine sound hunting after 1 hr of operations, any clues what are possible reasons. You may observe in the video.

Cheers...