Puppeteer

Author Topic: Newage Gearbox/ diff oil type  (Read 6304 times)

Lispet

• View Profile
Newage Gearbox/ diff oil type
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »
Just wondered what oil goes in the Newage gearbox. There is another drain plug in a reservoir that  surrounds the prop shaft too.

Why is there no oil pressure switch on the engine?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 09:28:43 PM by Lispet »

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Newage Gearbox/ diff oil type
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
Just wondered what oil goes in the Newage gearbox.
EP90

There is another drain plug in a reservoir that  surrounds the prop shaft too.
In dumper truck parlance, also known as the drop box, again EP90

Why is there no oil pressure switch on the engine?
Because when Benfords ordered the engine, they did not specify one ;D.

Lispet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
Thanks, yeah I wondered if them  two  oil reservoirs were separate or all the one, so now I know.I am not blaming Benford, they are only the equipment makers, but Lister-Petter might have put  an oil pressure switch hooked up to a warning light at least, to give some kind of indication, but they must have their reasons.... ;D

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »
Lister has a long history of ultra-reliable and dependable machinery. It is my guess that they preferred to follow the KISS principle (keeping it simple). Assuming normal maintenance, an oil system failure is quite rare and in most cases, such a failure would not likely be prevented by instrumentation. Lister did include as standard fare a low oil pressure shutdown feature on almost all of their long-running genset builds - at least from about the 1960's onwards. They did not commonly instrument them though. Third parties seem to have mostly followed suit on much of the equipment we commonly see in North America.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Lispet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
Lister has a long history of ultra-reliable and dependable machinery. It is my guess that they preferred to follow the KISS principle (keeping it simple). Assuming normal maintenance, an oil system failure is quite rare and in most cases, such a failure would not likely be prevented by instrumentation. Lister did include as standard fare a low oil pressure shutdown feature on almost all of their long-running genset builds - at least from about the 1960's onwards. They did not commonly instrument them though. Third parties seem to have mostly followed suit on much of the equipment we commonly see in North America.

dieselgman

I am new to lister/petter, so I am still learning :), though I have worked on cars, tractors, lawnmowers, strimmers, chainsaws (not as a profession) etc.Maybe that feature  you mention is on the engine for all I know.It might just be a different set up to what I am used to.... :embarassed:

Cheers.