Author Topic: Another 6/1 Restoration  (Read 121315 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Another 6/1 Restoration
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
That's a very nice setup!  I'm envious of your SOM type flywheels.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
Nice!

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Callum4000

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »
Hi, it's Callum here. I'm 16 and have just recently bought a lister cs the latest project, but the plate is missing on it and I was wondering how else to tell the hp? Any help would be much appreciated.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
First and most obvious would be flywheel styles... do yours have spokes? If so, will be a 6/1 (or smaller).

There are sometimes casting dates apparent on the outside of the cylinder castings... a picture or two would be quite helpful.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Callum4000

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
I'll have a couple of photos by tonight, if its any help 9-7-92 NW is cast into the cylinder head.

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »
So at long last the Lister's alcohol problem is something of the past. The Magnum Cream Liqueur fuel tank is gone!

A friend of mine found this old tank on a farm lying in a field along with some other scrap.

Badly rusted and full of dents - had to silver solder some holes closed where the tank rusted through.

Quickly slapped together a fuel fitting. I was promised a brass fuel cock that I'll fit later.

Fabricating the brackets:

At the panelbeater:

It's got a tank!!!! 8) ;D
I was lucky to find a cap at the lawnmower shop that fitted just perfectly.

Next to-do is the wiring. Looking at the quotes I got thus far I'll have to rob a bank to afford everything... The plan it to fit a volt meter, ammeter, hour meter and a reed frequency meter along with a plug outlet. 
Stickers ordered from SEP a week or so ago. (They should arrive here in about 3 weeks' time.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:53:07 PM by Dieselsmoker »
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2017, 06:38:28 PM »
Very nice job! Looks like it could have been an original part!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »
That's very slick, I'm Brunswick green with envy :)
You've done a great job of the restoration!
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys!
I think I've said this before: Not a lot of people have any idea how much time, patience and effort it takes to do a restoration like this. That said, I did it the hard way by making parts and fixing everything instead of just buying new parts like is more commonly done - It's a lot of hard work, but all the more satisfying to see it taking shape in the end.

Dieselsmoker

• View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2017, 07:50:02 PM »
If I knew then what I know now I would name this thread different...
Maybe, "The slowest 6/1 restoration ever"?? LoL  ;D   (It is after all a low speed engine)

Perhaps progress would be better if I didn't have to do things over and over so many times! Lesson learned and now on cooling tank number 3...

On tank number 2 I used a bitumen-based sealant that got really soft and tacky when the water got hot. Eventually water worked through the coating and the tank quickly rusted through again and sprung a leak.

This time round I got some rubberizing that is typically used on the load beds of pickup trucks. So far so good. Looks like this is really durable stuff. I also painted a couple of layers on the wheels and so far the new "tyres" are holding up excellent. No more metal-to-paving crunching. I also used the opportunity to add a tank valve so it's easier to drain the water now.

Nice thick rough rubber on the inside of the tank. Here busy with the first fill.

Brass tank valve. (What a mission it was to find a brass one!)

Brass water fittings also polished up this time round instead of being painted green with the rest of the tank.

With that done I could take a step forward again.
Electrical installation.

Brand new panel. Actually a bit bigger than I need, but this one was a lot cheaper than the smaller size panel  ???

Slight frame modification to allow me to bolt the panel down properly.

I bought a normal (fairly heavy duty) 16A plug socket at the hardware store

....and stripped all the metal bits off:

Some drilling and filing:

...and we have a power take-off!! (It looks pretty lonely down there in the corner)

So the idea is to buy all those yummy gauges and meters (when my ship comes in) and install them in the panel door. There is also space inside for an overload, maybe a earth leakage and who knows what. I have ideas - but of course I'll share when I get there. I'll very likely come pick some brains here sooner or later.

Its now 8+ weeks that I'm waiting for the Lister logos to land here from SEP...  :( I'm starting to loose hope...

EDIT:
The Donaldson also got re-branded. It is now a Lister air cleaner  ;)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:51:05 AM by Dieselsmoker »

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2017, 09:27:50 PM »
Nice work all round. Might be slow - nothing wrong with that and your restoration looks a treat.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2017, 08:14:46 AM »
Can't see my old roid ever being like that but maybe one day I'll be able to buy one that's worthy of art status.

I reckon that's the trick glort - have 2 engines, one in working clothes, the other a prom queen...

Dieselsmoker - that's a fine looking rig! I don't think you can call it a restoration any more, there's no way even a genuine Lister came out of the factory looking that good! Is that an intake silencer I see? How much of a difference does it make to the running noise? I have an Indian oil bath filter on mine, if it cuts a decent amount of noise out, I'd quite like to make a silencer like yours.

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Dieselsmoker

• View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
Thank you for the compliments guys. Its good inspiration to keep at it.

Nice work all round. Might be slow - nothing wrong with that and your restoration looks a treat.
I must always add that I also restored my house at the same time. At times months literally passed that I couldn't touch the engine - frustrating times...

Geez that's a nice looking setup!

I think some of us go too far with the restos. Time they are finished they are far too nice to be actually put to work.  Only fit to be taken out of the Lounge room and given a run while guests sit round and watch and listen to them before being put back inside with the rest of the fine Furnishings.

Can't see my old roid ever being like that but maybe one day I'll be able to buy one that's worthy of art status.

How far to go with a restoration? I always ask myself that question and my answer is always "not far enough"... the better you finish it, the more little imperfections start standing out. I've stood back many a times thinking "one day I'll strip it down again and do it properly" :D :D

The two schools of thinking are to either to
 - get it to as close as possible to factory finish, or
 - get is as perfect as possible.

Depending on what it is, I could agree with both. Some things look nice with a "rough finish" showing what it would have looked like back in the day, and others look better all polished up. My Fairbanks ZC-208 is in it's "working clothes" and it looks great, but that look, in my oppinion, would not suit the Lister... or would it?? At the end of the day it doesn't really matter - they all look awesome!  ;)  I agree that all the little imperfections gives each engine it's own unique character - with a shiny finish the character is lost and one engine then looks like the next. That said - nobody designs anything not to be finished off properly - the end result is mostly a costing decision to balance appearance and function. Had Lister spend two more days per engine to fettle and paint each engine to perfection, it would have added no value to the function, and it would be so expensive they would probably not have sold a single engine! I am a planner in the engineering industry so I experience this every day in practice. I wonder what my Lister is worth if I put a hourly rate on my work done  :o

For me this engine is a showpiece - that can actually be put to work if need be, but 99% of the rest of it's life it will be a toy. To compare this to what most of you off-grid guys are doing is not fair.

I hinted to my wife tha I want to pull the trolley into the lounge but she laughed like I was making a joke. I suspect a big misunderstanding is on it's way  :laugh:

I reckon that's the trick glort - have 2 engines, one in working clothes, the other a prom queen...

Dieselsmoker - that's a fine looking rig! I don't think you can call it a restoration any more, there's no way even a genuine Lister came out of the factory looking that good! Is that an intake silencer I see? How much of a difference does it make to the running noise? I have an Indian oil bath filter on mine, if it cuts a decent amount of noise out, I'd quite like to make a silencer like yours.

Cheers!
Ade.

Yup - they never looked like this  ;)
I like the way you think - great excuse to get another engine. One to work, one to show.

No it's not a silencer, but it does silence! To be frank - zero intake sound. There was a short discussion and a couple of pictures about this a few pages back: http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7426.120

This is a "Donaldson" cyclone aircleaner with pre-cleaner. You would find this type of aircleaner on most tractors and other equipment that operate in dusty conditions. The air is first sucked through a set of angled veins to centrifugally remove heavy particles and dump them in the transparrent bowl. Hence the reference to "cyclone". The air then enters the big cannister where it yet again gets spun through a cyclone. Heavy particles are thrown to the outside and falls down all the way to the bottom into a removable bowl. Air passes through a primary dry paper element, and then trough a secondary dry paper element with finer filtration. The super clean air is then ready to be messed up again by combustion  ;D. These filters offer massive fitration capacity and effieciency. Maintenance is to periodically clean the two bowls and once in a blue moon one could clean off the dust on the outside of the paper element. Replacing the paper elements of course depends on where it was operated, but in most cases they would last many many years due to the effecient pre-cleaning. On this Lister they would never need replacing. 

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »
So well done, It looks like that's the way it should have been designed...

Imitation is flattery right? ... there's a tractor wrecker just out of town, might go have a poke around.

Dieselsmoker

• View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
Ah! A partner in crime  8)
I was lucky to find a tractor in running condition. I won't start with the restoration until the Lister is complete, but in the meantime I can at least play with it.

I started wiring the panel with what I had laying around.
I need to get a neutral bar and a smaller overload breaker. The one I have is rated at 15A. Although the alternator can do 15A, the engine won't. With the Lister only doing 550 rpm at 1460m above sea level it's not performing like it could. Loading it to 2200W, the exhaust is black and the pump is almost fully open.
A=W/V
A=2200/220
Current=10A

I've been thinking about incorporating protection for external circuitry as well. I see there are commercially available units that monitor over/under voltage as well as over/under frequency. I suppose any one of the two is good enough? Of the ones' I Googled, the voltage monitor seems like the best option. It looks like the frequency monitors need steady input voltages whereas the voltage monitors are powered from the source they monitor. The voltage monitor has an internal relay that can be used to operate a contactor. Anywhere outside the adjustable upper and lower limits the contactor will be open protecting external circuits.

All these gadgets of course come at a price, so perhaps an opportunity for an Arduino project?