Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6/1 - Plain bushes or Taper roller bearings?  (Read 3361 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
6/1 - Plain bushes or Taper roller bearings?
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
Hi All

Well the crank looks like a write off big end trashed, mains iffy, most other bits seem worth saving, the question I have is :-

As I have to spend big money on new parts, is is converting to roller bearings a good idea or do I stay with what I have?

And if anyone out the has a second hand crank, in decent condition I'd be pleased to here from them!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 - Plain bushes or Taper roller bearings?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
Stay with bushings. You have choices with the crankshaft. Weld and grind back to standard, new Indian.  Finding a usable Lister crank is possible although here in the states it is not a viable option. I prefer to weld and grind the OEM to using Indian.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
Stef,

These crankshafts can be reconditioned to a great extent... new ones also available.

On the TRB vs bushed mains question, various opinions and ideas are out there. Personally, I believe the original Lister bushed design is best suited to their engines. There are a number of reasons for staying original including such things as actual bearing loading technicalities, parts replacement ease, staying true to the purity of the design. That said, if I had a trb crank and set of housings in-hand, I would not hesitate to use them as they have been proven to provide good service.

Shipping for another crankshaft is likely to be a deal maker/breaker because of size and weight. About 25 Kilograms if I remember correctly.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:42 PM »
Thanks both,

Bushes it is then!

I'll start looking around and pricing my options. I live in the French Pyrenees so what ever I do will involve shipping unless there's a decent engineering works I can drop on that won't cost the earth, if the rate for repairing cars is an indicator I'll be lucky!

I rang a contact in the UK and sorting the crank out without welding, grinding back to well undersized and having white metal bearings made to suit was quoted to the north of £350 so unless I can drop on a second hand one Indian looks like the way to go.

There's a company by the name of Dev Precision Engineers on the web, looks like they have most everything, does anyone know of them?

Meanwhile I've got my head around the governor mechanism, the manual showing only one bob weight confused me! and have had the crank case boiling in a 40 gallon drum with caustic soda to strip out the old oil, grease and sand, should pull the paint off too.

Thanks once more

Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »
@Dieselspanner
Dev Engineering used to have an eBay listing. I bought some parts for an SR2 from them. No problems, got what I ordered. Unfortunately, Dev is no longer an eBay seller and has not answered correspondence from me for some time. The email address on the DEV website is still valid, at least no rejects, just no answer from several inquiries. Machining down the crank and fitting smaller D sleeve bearings leaves you with flywheels  that are then too large for the now smaller crank.......a drawback of the CS design.  Shipping is costly now, seems like from everywhere save China.
Since you are at least closer to U.K., Stationary Engine Parts will sell you a 6/1 crank for 195 Pounds, sleeve bearings for 18 Pounds inc VAT.....seems like your best bet.  http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Crankshaft-and-bearings/

Cheers,
Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project