Author Topic: Basic questions from a proud new owner?  (Read 40996 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Basic questions from a proud new owner?
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
Hi Tx,

An easy way to see if the element is still servicable is to assemble the whole thing after cleaning thoroughly, then with the rack in the full open position, pop it back onto the machine, hook up the supply line. Don't worry about the timing at this point. Pop off the check valve on top then spill bleed it to get any air out. Screw the check valve back in and turn the motor over slowly by hand.... If hardly any fuel squeezes past the check valve while creeping it over, the element is likely shot.... The small amount of back pressure the check valve creates is enough to show if the element is unable to seal properly....

All of this is of course assuming you have reasonable filter condition and there is a minimal, but positive pressure of fuel to the IP... And, most importantly, you havent unscrewed the IP tappet to excess...

No special tools required, no finicky measuring, and, the bonus is, once IP function is confirmed this way, at creep speed, it pretty much has to work at a normal running speed.... Don't mess with the timing if you can help it.... If it was running before, it will run again at the current setting unless of course, the timing bolt came loose and unwound itself somehow... One thing that is worth checking while u have the element out, is the top face of the element piston. If there is about a 1mm ring around the top periphery or crown, it might be indicative of the piston being pushed up too far by the tappet. If that is the case, take care and back off the timing bolt before you go any further... Occasionally, when the element wears, you have the symptom of the timing retarding a bit... Guys often mistakenly advance the timing a bit and the unit runs fine for a while, albeit with a bit of an intermittent excessive diesel knock that is hard to track as to why.... Effectively you can come very close to bottoming out the pump when you start advancing the timing, bottom out the pump, and things give way catastrophically.... Don't go there!!

I have an element lying around here that was bottomed out, if you want, i can take a couple of pics for you so you can see what to look for....

Hope this helps...

Regds
Ed

12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2016, 11:28:06 PM »
So here is my element and valve cleaned up.  A small amount of corrosion.
Does it appear to need replacement?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »
The corrosion that can be seen on the outside of the barrel will not affect operation. The lapped fit between barrel and delivery valve is critical, and so is the precision fit between plunger and barrel bore. In our operation, the standard is to always replace the parts. Taking that route is the safest way to insure a minimum of problems down the road. If you don't have the spares available, then it is certainly possible to make things work ok with a little cleaning and tlc. How the plunger feels rotating inside the bore in each portion of its stroke will tell you quite a bit, and a close visual on the other mating surfaces will also give an indication of your parts viability. One of the main things that seems to mess up these pumps is fuel contamination causing the plunger to stick in its bore... you might use a combination of your eyes and hands to come up with a judgment call. The computer pictures will not show up the level of detail necessary to provide much real help.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:01:11 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
Agreed!

There's not too much involved with reassembling and reinstalling the pump.. Stick it back together, and reinstall it with the injector out of the head... turn the motor over after priming and bleeding and see if it pops the injector OK... If it needs a very fast crank over to get the fuel spraying, replace the element... of course, be careful of hi pressure spray, it gets under skin and in eyes very easily... point the injector away from you and anybody else while you are cranking things over...

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2016, 04:42:26 AM »
With a new element and delivery valve, I am back to the fuel pump.  On reassembly, I have a couple pf questions...my memory ain't what it used to be...
Does the long milled slot on he barrel go to the back of the pump where the retaining screw is located, or the smaller rounded hole on the opposite side?
Also the old CAV manual shows the rack having an index mark in the tooth section to match the notch on the barrel...my rack has two drill spots evenly spaced on the outside of this area.  Do I just match the rod to center and put the barrel slot in the middle?  I need to know how to properly index this/
 ???

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2016, 07:31:57 AM »
Does the long milled slot on the barrel go to the back of the pump where the retaining screw is located, or the smaller rounded hole on the opposite side?

Yes, the long milled slot on the barrel goes to the back of the pump where the retaining screw is located.

Also the old CAV manual shows the rack having an index mark in the tooth section to match the notch on the barrel...my rack has two drill spots evenly spaced on the outside of this area.  Do I just match the rod to center and put the barrel slot in the middle?

Yes.

Also with regard to the condition of the element and plunger, an easy way to assess the condition is to run your fingernail across the plunger just above the helix at the no fueling position (as this is where the most wear will likely occur, if contaminated fuel has got past the fuel filter). If you can feel the slightest amount of grooves in the surface of the plunger, then it requires replacement.

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »
Thank you ever so much for the help.  Next: My new element came with a fiber washer on the plunger, obviously my old one was gone?  I dont see mention of the washer in the old diagram, was it in place for shipping only? or does it stay in place?   ???

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2016, 07:03:07 PM »
I believe you are referring to the fiber packing washer that prevents shipping damages to the plunger.

dieselgman

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »
Does the retaining screw on the back for the barrel go all the way own to stop alll movement, or do you leave some small slack to allow it to move up and down along the slot. Sorry, I meant to ask this earlier.  :-\

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2016, 03:18:48 AM »
That retainer slot is slotted for a reason, it is designed to allow for an absolute tight fit of the lapped joint between barrel and delivery valve. It is intended to be somewhat loose so that the barrel can align itself when the cap is tightened up.

dieselgman

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »
Thanks Gary, I'll back it off a touch.  I am planning on using some blue Loctite on the threads?
There appeared to be some kind of glue in the original lock hole drilled to the side of the screw. 
I am really not the ignorant Dolt I may seem to be, but I am treading unfamiliar waters, and want to do things right the first time!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:56:04 PM by TxBlacksmith »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
Many of them have an aluminum (or copper) washer, will tighten all the way without putting any pressure on the barrel, and do not require loctite.

No ignorant questions... just sometimes difficult to give accurate, clear and concise answers.

dieselgman