Author Topic: Basic questions from a proud new owner?  (Read 41010 times)

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
Re: Basic questions from a proud new owner?
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »
Still no luck with the crank bearings...really need to get at least the one out of the broken.chipped casting to get it repaired.
So the hunt for a press continues,  gee, I really thought some of my buds that work on cars had one of the durn things.
Any way...what are the clearance/wear tolerances for the crank bushings?  Should I just mic them, or can I do the old slip the
brass shimstock in to check?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2015, 03:11:42 AM »
Besides a careful visual inspection and feel of the bearing face I would suggest the Lister specified dimensions:  a 2" or 50.8mm journal, and the below variables:
(and maximum wear tolerance of .008")

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:22:28 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2015, 02:26:54 AM »
Dressed out the crank via the old blacksmith drawfile method, and succeeded in cleaning it up enough to get the old bearings back down the shaft.  ;D
Am considering using a buffing compound to clean/polish/shine it all up, especially  at the bearing points.  Just want it as slick as possible?

What are the thoughts on using the OEM fuel filter, seems a silly design for these days, but you cant argue with its longevity. Is there a simple cartridge that will simply fit inside an work reasonably well?   I  plan on putting a 2 stage filter on the fuel tank, which at this point is a 20 gallon stainless barrel I am planning to convert.

And speaking of filters...is this worth the money/trouble? on a original 6/1?
http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Oil-Filter-Kit.html

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2015, 03:56:26 AM »
Hi Tx
38AC has a really nice conversion to replace the snake with  a cartridge filter. The fuel filter housing remains as OEM. The conversion can be done with hand tools, and a few plumbing parts. I did it, looks and works great. You'll find it here http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7133.0

The fuel filter from S.E.P. as you linked: I bought one and installed it on my 'Roid. Good value for money. the filter they send cross references to a Donaldson
that is easily available from your NAPA dealer. Had to bend the tubing a bit to get it to fit properly, but a good addition. I have not fitted one to my Dursley, as it is not regular use yet. Detracts from stock appearance, is the engine for go or for show? Probably a good idea if one is using detergent oils.

Cheers,
Hugh
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:00:48 PM by Hugh Conway »
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
Peter Forbes did suggest a filter that fits in the existing lister filter housing. It was on this site and I copied it and it has worked very well for me over the years cheers Peter.

The one I use is a Coopers filter number AZF 058 and is available in the UK. I buy 6 at a time and they cost me £5.20 each.
Also  Crossland 457 or Fram C11860PL are the same filter, and I am sure there will be others from other filter manufacturers.

This is  a picture of the adapter I made to fit in the top housing

This is made from a 18mm threaded hydraulic fitting with the thread machined off at one end to be a nice fit in the rubber in the top of the filter.
The thread in the lister housing is 18mm metric because Lister used Bosch fuel injection equipmemt. Any firm that make hydraulic hoses can supply the 18mm  adapters.

On the bottom end of the filter I use a 8mm stainless steel nut and bolt with stainless steel body washer and a few small washers to get hight correct. This fits in the hole at the bottom of the filter and makes a good seal.

The other thing I did was to replace the pipe from the filter to the injection pump with a rubber pipe it saves having to undo the steel pipe on the pump and filter housing every time you change the filter.

Heres a few more filter numbers for the same filter.

COOPERS : AZF058.
CROSLAND : 457.
FRAM : C11860PL.
FIAAM : FA4043/2.
AC - DELCO : ACD55.
ALCO : MD141.
ARONA : 10668.
ARONA : 394602.
BALDWIN : PF834.
BENATI : 31413.
BIG A : 95167.
BIG A : 498.
BOLINDER MUNKTELL & MARINE (SEE ALSO VOLVO) : 7233574.
BOLINDER MUNKTELL & MARINE (SEE ALSO VOLVO) : 6605860.

Mick

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2015, 03:20:37 AM »
Any suggestions for an adaptable air cleaner?  I was thinking of maybe using some type of K&N  filter from a motorcycle etc.
I had very good results with them in my dirt bike days...

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
Any suggestions for an adaptable air cleaner?  I was thinking of maybe using some type of K&N  filter from a motorcycle etc.

Anything is better than the standard elbow with mesh... I wonder how much unnecessary wear some of these engines endured because of the lack of air filters. I kinda like the look of the oil bath type filter, but my mind is not made up. My engine will live indoors so I don't need the best possible filter there is. One other possible consideration is the supression of intake noise. I saw a video where someone experimented with different intake setups on a running engine and I amazed at how much noise comes from the intake. An open filter like the K&N won't offer much supression.
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
Don't know if there's something similar in the 'States but the oil bath filter of a Series Landrover should do it, for little money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-III-air-filter-housing-oil-bath-2-2a-IIa-/181748362453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a510becd5

No filters to buy / stock. I've had various Landies and they do a decent job (IMHO!) with minimal maintenance.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2015, 03:35:49 AM »
Search the forum for Soldburg. It's an air filter / silencer for compressor's
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »
Any suggestions for an adaptable air cleaner?  I was thinking of maybe using some type of K&N  filter from a motorcycle etc.

From this thread:   http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7326.msg82520#msg82520

If you are also interested in quieting intake noise as well as filtering, an air compressor intake filter such as this:
http://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=soberg+fs+19p+150&op=search&Ntt=soberg+fs+19p+150&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=All

or this:
http://www.ecompressedair.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=PFS-19P-150&manufacturer=ECA

I am using one on my JKSON 6/1 and it really does make a difference. More costly than a shop vac filter, but threads right on to a bolt-on exhaust flange installed on the intake side.
Cheers,
Hugh

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
Very slow progress on the rebuild, due to many considerations.  Currently, my problem is the top seal in the main body of the oil pump. 
It is stuck fast.  I have tried heating, oil, pb blaster etc....any safe way to drive this thing out without damage to pump body?

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 05:20:42 AM »
Very slow progress on the rebuild, due to many considerations.  Currently, my problem is the top seal in the main body of the oil pump. 
It is stuck fast.  I have tried heating, oil, pb blaster etc....any safe way to drive this thing out without damage to pump body?

Any luck with that seal? My oil pump is waiting for me in the parts bin. I'll be taking it apart soon to clean it out and replace the seals.

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »
No luck as of yet...thinking of drilling it out if necessary. The original seal appears to have a pc of leather at the top of it?

Dieselsmoker

• View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »
No luck as of yet...thinking of drilling it out if necessary. The original seal appears to have a pc of leather at the top of it?

Hi TxB
I stripped my pump today and put the new oil seal in. I took a couple of pictures and uploaded them on my rebuild thread so you can see what the parts look like and how I did it. The seal is a tight fit, but a decent lever makes quick work of convincing a stubborn seal to see the light.
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7426.msg84613#msg84613

Hope it helps and good luck!!
Regards,
ME

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »
Finally got the old seal out of the oil pump last week.  Now in the process of shining her all up before reassembly.
On to the fuel pump...is there a step by step for cleaning rebuilding the pump?  I looked in the search but couldnt find it.
Man, I am getting old and forgetful!!!  The plunger/piston is really stiff, and very slow to return, surely that cant be right?