Author Topic: Governor linkage bell crank.......  (Read 3044 times)

George A

• View Profile
Governor linkage bell crank.......
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
The bell crank that operates my Listeroid injector pump is out of alignment to one side of the pump rack by about 1/16" (+or-) and that almost HAS to be causing issues. I've gone through the rest of the linkage adding oversize pins, etc. in order to remove slop and this is the last problem that I can see.

Does anyone know what the bell crank is made of? If steel, I can heat and bend it in two places to correct the alignment. If cast iron (probably) I'll be making a new one out of solid stock.

I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Governor linkage bell crank.......
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
We have often seen the bell-cranks bent or damaged in shipment. It is possible to bend them back into shape. If I remember correctly they are cast iron, but the ones I've seen are not too brittle to bend a little bit. New ones are available as needed.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
Thank you for your reply dieselgman..........after adjusting the governor linkage just now (didn't know how before), it seems like it might not be an issue after all.

I have one other question though......I just discovered that, with all of the linkage hooked up, I cannot get the rack all the way out by operating the lower bellcrank. The linkage is free and smooth, but it feels like it's stopping against something inside the crankcase. Is this normal? That is, are the governor weights preventing full travel until the engine is running?

The whole problem I've having is that the engine only picks up the load (generator) to a certain point and won't accelerate any further. Not having it adjusted correctly might have been the problem, but the lack of full travel is a new one!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:25:32 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
Take off the link and see if you have full travel at the rack and the governor.

Try turning the engine 1/2 turn if the governor won't travel all the way thru the throw.

That's just where I would start. Just a thought.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

islander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »
Hello

I am a newbee also in listeroids.

I just start my Powerline listeroid, first start today, without load, I noticed the same thing than you. I first had to adjust the vertical linkage, screw it to make it more short, so the full injection can be obtained.

second, I make the motor turn at 400 RPM, was obliged to make more long the linkage of spring to get as low as 400 RPM. But noticed the motor don't react properly if I put some charge on it (piece of wood against one wheel).

I changed the hard spring (my motor is designed to max 1000RPM) with a smoother one, and now it regulate much better. When putting charge on the motor, I can get at least 70% of the max injection load.

So it seems to me the mecanic had no problem, but needs to use a softer spring when make the motor runs slow.