Author Topic: Obtain Listeroid crank case from India?  (Read 3444 times)

George A

• View Profile
Obtain Listeroid crank case from India?
« on: February 13, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
Just a thought this morning. How difficult......and legal......would it be to import just the crankcase for an Indian 6/1? I'm not familiar with any import regulations that prohibit bringing in a chunk of machined cast iron, as a "replacement".

Again, just a thought.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:44:51 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Obtain Listeroid crank case from India?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »
It can be done... (no issues over here regarding the import of parts only) although most of the suppliers will be reluctant to deal with just a single bare crankcase.
There were a number of excuses cited, some related to tax breaks and such for completed assemblies within India.
The best way we have found is to purchase entire engine assemblies, have them dismantled and packed into a full container for transport. The small guys get paid, the government gets to push its policy and everyone involved eats for another day.

dieselgman

ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
Good advice........thank you!
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:35 AM »
I have one, it got cracked when my crank snapped, I'm a welder by trade, I took my time and welded it up right, did all the proper preheat and annealing.
Finished it off and repainted it, should be good for another twenty years or so ;D, I could let it go pretty cheap.
BioDiesel Brewer

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
Thank you for the offer fabricator.....I've sent you an email. Let's talk about it.