Author Topic: Lister J type conversion  (Read 4077 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Lister J type conversion
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
Hi All

I'm very new to the 'old engine' world, so please cut me a little slack if this is an often asked, or plain stupid question!

Is it possible to convert a L type Lister to diesel using CS parts or J type parts?

(After more digging on the web I realise the original engine is an L type, told you I was new!)

Cheers

Stef
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:44:51 PM by dieselspanner »
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister J type conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »
Yes it is possible but I cannot imagine why unless you just wanted to recreate Lister's original efforts?
Very early on there was troubles with the crankshaft and main bearing housings and as Lister took care of these and other short comings what ended up being the CS engine that most of us know today shares very few parts with the L.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
Thanks for that.
It's a bit of a long tale, it starts with a mate, an old time steam 'Cheif Engineer, looking at a 90 year old barge in Holland, with a J type main engine and a CS donkey motor forward, for the cargo handling gear.

We live in the Pyrenees and run a ski chalet / B&B and when we move from here we'd like to go 'off grid', there's a world of opportunity up here.

Looking on the www for information on the CS Lister led me down the Startomatic path. Then on Ebay there was an L type with what looks like a frost damaged top end, in Bridport, one of my old stamping grounds

(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251806210415?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

As a slow time project I wondered was it possible / practical to start from there, obviously not!! and thanks for setting me straight.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking for a CS 6/1 in rebuildable condition? - France,and the Pyrenees in particular doesn't seem like a target rich environment!
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
Just keep a watch on eBay.uk for a nice CS that you can build. I don't think the Yanks have bought them all... not yet anyway!  :laugh:

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

richardhula

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »
As you have discovered Listers first diesels were a range of cold start models initially based on the the L series petrol engine. In order to cope with compression ratio's around three times greater than those on petrol engines of the period, the bore size was cut down from 5.5" to 4.5", and the compression change over system was designed into the new overhead valve head, allowing lower compression running once cold started. Even that wasn't enough so the bottom end was beefed up with 2" crankshaft main bearings.

Ironically the first production engine built in 1930 was the 1000 rpm 9/1 with its multi cylinder variants later being known by the JP prefix. This engine was substantially different from the much simpler although robust CS series following a matter of months later producing just 5bhp/cylinder at 600rpm. Full history here. Note both JP and CS series engine numbers had CS prefix well into production run.

For above reasons I think you may be on a looser trying to convert an L series engine.