Author Topic: EGT on a 6/1 or 8/1 Listeroid?  (Read 4189 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
EGT on a 6/1 or 8/1 Listeroid?
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:53:31 AM »
I wonder if anyone has measured the full load (or any load) EGT on a 6/1 or 8/1?

I want to monitor my EGT for my propane mod and would love to have a stock diesel baseline number, for someone closer to sea level and a full load.

I've read that 1250 is the max for normally aspirated diesel auto/truck engines, but I've no clue what a Listeroid EGT might be.

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: EGT on a 6/1 or 8/1 Listeroid?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:11:07 AM »
I don't think you will see near 1250F on a 6/1:)  Let me look back at my notes, when I did fuel consumption, I may have taken some exhaust temps at sustained loads...

PS 6/1 - ST-5.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:45:59 AM »
not actual EGT probe, but my IR thermometer says my exhaust port is about 320F when under steady load (2500w @ 1400' )

(pasted here in this thread)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
Thanks, Ronmar.  I hope you do have some full load. closer to sea level EGT data for me!

I'm sure there is some correlation to exhaust pipe temp, but I"ve ordered an EGT sensor and display. I did some research and confirmed that natural gas is notorious for elevated EGT, as Dieselgman pointed out.  I coudn't find as much about Propane EGT, but thanks to Dieselgman I know to watch it closely.  Thank you very much, Dieselgman!

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
I've heard of these EGT issues with gaseous fueled engines too. IIRC, the CHP tried propane for a while and found that under heavy load they would lean out and melt the pistons. I would think with an IDI head a excessive heat would be absorbed by the Precup chamber. Gary can you tell us if any of the conversions you've done were IDI vs. DI? Same issues in both?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »
I have not done any conversions on the CS to be able to give any viable data... Lister has done a bit of successful engineering on some other models though. The HRG machines will run fine on either NG or LPG as long as timing is adjusted for the difference in the fuels. These use Direct Injection combustion chamber designs with concave piston crowns. They anticipated high EGT issues and specified very high-end parts to adequately deal with that issue. Alloy pistons are fine for dealing with that extra heat... it is the iron portions - rings, valve seats, that take a real beating though. I suppose that any internal combustion situation (or fuel type) that would allow the mixture to go lean would result in much elevated temps. Even diesel-fueled engines will melt down a piston when there are serious mixture issues and excessive loads. Impco makes some very sophisticated gas control equipment and carburetors that have very sensitive fuel valves to help with this mixture issue. They have been run extensively for years in very large fleets of propane fueled forklifts and other workhorse engines with very good results and very long engine lives. Propane is an excellent engine fuel when properly tuned... burns very clean and does not foul the combustion chambers or lube oil with carbon as other liquid fuels will do over time. We also know of its long-term storage potential that is so much better than other fuel types.

For the HRG setups... our test-bed uses external combustion chamber temp sensors (thermocouple under the spark plugs) on all cylinders for testing and adjusting fuel mixtures and making timing adjustments. Lowering the temps and eliminating pre-ignition is the objective. Not precisely the same technology as a diesel engine EGT sensor, but with the same general objectives.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:53:26 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations